Costume workshop group

Dia

Hi guys! I'm sorry that this got launched on Facebook, and I don't want anyone to be left out who doesn't use it. We're going to try and start a group to do real, practical work on raising the standard of our costuming in good company with people we can share skills with. This means that everyone gets the opportunity to work with others who can help, support, and teach where needed.

What this DOESN'T mean is 'Your costuming is crap, and you're crap, and all of your crap is particularly crap.' The level of thought and skill that goes into Alliance Denver costuming sets a really high bar among US larps! But not everybody knows how to do everything. I think most, if not all, of us have some part of their costume that they'd love to improve upon, but don't have the money/skillset/motivation. I'm hoping this group can help.

And I'd also like to see you guys during the off-season. <3

ZERO costuming or crafting skill is required. We'll start as small as we need to and go from there. I expect to set something up where we meet up monthly or bi-weekly during the off-season. I'm going to try and get all information cross-posted here. If you're particularly interested, let me know, so I can try and be sure I'm getting all of the information to you!

Good on you for starting this Dia, I would love to attend as I'm able to=)

Vira's awesome idea- I just set the group up while she typed up her awesome process document :) But I do hope a lot of folks come out!

Sorry about that! I (thoughtlessly) assumed that anyone who saw it here, but not on facebook, wasn't ON facebook. That's a pointless assumption to make :)

Update!

If you're interested in participating, our first real-world meeting will be Sunday November 2, at 9:00 am. Here's event info cut and pasted from Facebook:

3630 kearney st denver CO 80207
Initial get-together to look at how to get started. Feel free to bring fabric, pattern, tools if you have them and are ready to play around, or absolutely nothing if that's what you've got so far! This is also a good time to bring pieces that you've already got and have just been wanting to alter!

In the future, I think we'll be looking at the Sunday after each event, barring national holidays and stuff. Something that's been discussed and I think will be helpful:

If you're wanting to rethink your character design, re-costume, or do any kind of significant costume work and you don't already have a gameplan, pattern, or very clear and easy-to-communicate plan for exactly what you want to make, please make a Pinterest account (if you haven't got one already), and create a board for your character! This will make it easy to share a very visual exploration of your concept with others, and we can look at your inspiration together and pinpoint which pieces will do the most to bring that vision to life within your budget and skillset!

There's no requirement to RSVP, although it's nice to have an idea who is coming. This is my house, so be advised that it is full of dogs! I'll vacuum the night before to try and keep fur, dander, and dust under control, and I'll have lint rollers available, but ultimately, sewing in a dog-friendly house is what it is. If you're AFRAID of dogs, I'll totally put them outside or downstairs, but if you're badly allergic, there's only so much I can do to mitigate that, and I'm sorry. Hopefully when this catches on we'll be able to rotate locations!

What kind of dogs if I may ask? I'm trying to work out if this is a zyrtec situation since I'm more allergic to some breeds than others. :)

Totally reasonable question! I didn't know that was a thing :)

One is a prebred German Shepherd (roommate's dog)
The other two are adopted mutts. Our best guess is German Shepherd/Sharpei and Doberman/greyhound, but not guarantees on any of that, I'm afraid. The only thing I can conclusively tell you is that we have exclusively brown and black dogs. :)

If this takes off and rotation comes into play I could probably host down in Castle Rock. Not sure if people want to drive that far but I have tons of horizontal surface that can be leveraged (Pool table w/ping pong table surface on top, plus four 6-foot folding tables)

Hi guys!

Workshop day was awesome, and we got a LOT done! The next day has been scheduled for the Sunday November 23 (that's the sunday after the event, so that it doesn't conflict with Plot activities), at 9:00 am.

We're meeting at Alex's house: 533 Logan St Denver CO

Feel free to get in touch ahead of time with ideas, and we can start looking at fabric and patterns so that if you'd like, you can be ready to start sewing when you get there! Sketching, alterations, brainstorming, propmaking, and weaponmaking are also always welcome!

Not sure what to make, but want to hang out? We can always get you started making simple pieces to donate to NPC camp; it's a great way to get some practice!

We're doing it again! I know December is a busy month, but at least a few us of will be there!

Sunday, December 14
at 9:00am
We'll be meeting at Hannah's house; 3555 Jasmine street Denver CO 80207

*ALLERGY WARNING* There is a cat.
*REGULAR WARNING* Man that cat likes to sit on your fabric and play with your notions. Really into it.

This week we did a bad job and only had one sewing machine and the serger available, but we'll do better next month! Multiple sewing machines and more tools around!

How often does everyone get together and work on costumes? Ever in Colorado Springs? I've never actually LARPed before but I would love to at least meet a handful of people before the next event as well as be productive towards something I enjoy.

We have an informal costume workshop group on FB here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/780395215335963/
We try and meet about once a month and rotate around where we do it at. Usually it's in the Denver area but in Feb it will be at my house, 12540 Forest View St, Broomfield, CO, 80020. The Date is Sat Feb 21st at 9 am and usually goes until the afternoon. Here is the event page for it - https://www.facebook.com/events/1542487162672157/

So far we haven't done any in Colorado springs with this group of people, mostly because we all live in Denver. But that isn't to say it won't happen.

Reactions: Dia
Once a month like clockwork, Lee! I'm sorry that we're out of your way, but if it helps, we're usually there for a long time. 9-6 isn't unusual. So there would be no need to leave super early to get there promptly at 9, nor would you risk driving all that way just to work for a couple of hours and go home. :)

Once a month like clockwork, Lee! I'm sorry that we're out of your way, but if it helps, we're usually there for a long time. 9-6 isn't unusual. So there would be no need to leave super early to get there promptly at 9, nor would you risk driving all that way just to work for a couple of hours and go home. :)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Not sure if I'll be able to make the next one, but I'll try to show up at sometime.

Reactions: Dia
Back