Costuming & Accessories Questions

Hello! My name is Rachelle, and I'm needing some help with designing costuming and accessories. When attaching things like small skulls, fur, leather, etc. What do you use? Needs to be sturdy for combat and running.

I tend to have the most confidence in sewing for a strong join, personally. I've used studs as well but I've had enough of them pop apart that I back it up with stitches if it'll be subject to any kind of abuse.

Depending on what you are trying to do a good punch/awl and some sinew is great for that kind of work. My personal favorite is a combination of hemp and sinew, and depending on what I am doing I will rope twist the hemp. I also play a barbarian...so I am bias. You can get artificial or real sinew at a leather supply store (such as Tandy). With the artificial sinew you can apply a little heat to the knot to melt it a little and prevent it from every coming undone. Practice this a few times so you don't melt it off! :)

Happy crafting!

Depending on what you are trying to do a good punch/awl and some sinew is great for that kind of work. My personal favorite is a combination of hemp and sinew, and depending on what I am doing I will rope twist the hemp. I also play a barbarian...so I am bias. You can get artificial or real sinew at a leather supply store (such as Tandy). With the artificial sinew you can apply a little heat to the knot to melt it a little and prevent it from every coming undone. Practice this a few times so you don't melt it off! :)

Happy crafting!
That's great! Thank you! My mother actually tans hides herself, so we have furs and leather that she's working with. She just made a fur purse. It looks great! I told her to insert some pockets, too! I will post pictures soon!

Back