Costuming help?

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how to make a decent "Tiefling" style costume with horns and devil tail? I'd love to learn how to create my own tail that actually looks decent and I could perhaps pose as well. I don't play in Alliance LARP though. I'd like to but you guys are WAY far away from me. Still though I love the costumes I see in your guys LARP so I'd love any help people could give me for making some of my own or maybe doing things like body paint, ect. It seems LARPers/cosplay people do far better jobs than just some site with cheap Halloween costume how to's. ;-)

Where are you that we are way too far away?

TieflingRogue said:
I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how to make a decent "Tiefling" style costume with horns and devil tail? I'd love to learn how to create my own tail that actually looks decent and I could perhaps pose as well. I don't play in Alliance LARP though. I'd like to but you guys are WAY far away from me. Still though I love the costumes I see in your guys LARP so I'd love any help people could give me for making some of my own or maybe doing things like body paint, ect. It seems LARPers/cosplay people do far better jobs than just some site with cheap Halloween costume how to's. ;-)

Out of curiousity, what type of scavvy are you playing? :shock:

I'm not playing at all right now. I simply want help with costume creations and LARPers make some of the best. I seriously doubt I can play in a game in SF when I live in Sacramento either. That is just too far for a game.

TieflingRogue said:
That is just too far for a game.

Lol.

Keep thinking that, then.

I drive at least 5-6 hours each way, once a month to go play.

While that is probably above average, overall, it is by no means the longest trip people make or have made.

The game is good stuff, you should give it a try.

You are not me. I am not you. You and I have different circumstances. You may make more money than I, you may have more time to spend getting to a game. You may also have a carpool. I can probably bet that you at least make more money that I do. If I say a game might be too far away I don't see why you can't respect that. Without anyone else to at least carpool there is no way in hell I'm driving all the way to SF for a game. It would need to be more like a convention to make it worthwhile. I simply don't have the budget for that. The game DOES sound fun but I don't think my circumstances will allow for it at the moment. Not to mention I have another LARP right in my area I've already made a prior commitment to.

Not to mention how far away I live is off topic anyway. I was asking for custom help because from the photos I've seen, you guys can really make cool costumes.

Guy, I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

I'm sorry you're taking it that way. I'm usually pretty clear when I'm intentially being an *** to someone.

But then again, as you pointed out, you are not me, and neither do you know me, so maybe you should just relax.

While you may feel that its off topic, you are the one who brought it up, so I fail to see why you need to overreact.

And really, jumping on people for commenting is not really the best way to get people to help you.

But, whatever.

tieran said:
Guy, I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

I'm sorry you're taking it that way. I'm usually pretty clear when I'm intentially being an *** to someone.

But then again, as you pointed out, you are not me, and neither do you know me, so maybe you should just relax.

While you may feel that its off topic, you are the one who brought it up, so I fail to see why you need to overreact.

And really, jumping on people for commenting is not really the best way to get people to help you.

But, whatever.

No, I did not bring it up. Others asked me where I lived, so I answered. Go back and look over the thread. And if someone's comments are off topic it's not a bad thing to tell them to bring it back on topic.

i can tell this guy is going to stick around a long time in our community and take from it a positive and pro-alliance experience from it. :roll:

TieflingRogue said:
I'm not playing at all right now. I simply want help with costume creations and LARPers make some of the best. I seriously doubt I can play in a game in SF when I live in Sacramento either. That is just too far for a game.

How is this not bringing up that you live too far away?

And I have no problem being told to get back on topic, my issue is with the manner that you chose to do it.

Robb Graves said:
i can tell this guy is going to stick around a long time in our community and take from it a positive and pro-alliance experience from it. :roll:

Yeah, I read over some of the belligerance that occured in another post.

Its all good.

Some people are just like that.

I should know... I'm one of them sometimes.

tieran said:
TieflingRogue said:

How is this not bringing up that you live too far away?

And I have no problem being told to get back on topic, my issue is with the manner that you chose to do it.

The main topic is still about costumes. And that's still not bringing it up. Someone specifically asked me where I lived. I don't mind so much being told I don't live too far away either. My issue was with the manner you chose to tell me I didn't live too far away, saying "Keep thinking that then" doesn't exactly sound non antagonistic. Think about how that sounds and tell me you'd think if someone said that to you that they were being friendly. I do believe you didn't really mean it that way but it doesn't sound friendly. I don't want to get into fights, I just wanted advice on costuming creation.

Robb Graves said:

Actually I just may. :roll:

Ok, guys, seriously. Tiefling - people are trying to help you. You have been responding to everything like it is a personal attack. I assure you, and please believe me, that it is not. You would most likely know. I meant what I said earlier (and so did everyone else) that we are a bunch of sarcastic bastards...but we love each other anyways. Or at least love to hate each other.

Sometimes you just need to let a comment roll. I think the majority of the alliance drives at least 3 hours to get to a game. I have never traveled less than 4 1/2. I've traveled 8 1/2 on a regular basis before the Chicago chapter was started. Heck, I've come in from TX for a game. That's not the point. If that's too far a drive for you to make, that's cool. You're missing a hell of an experience, and it makes me chuckle because it makes me realize how much of an addict to the game that I am, given how far I'm willing to travel to play. That doesn't mean we're trying to piss you off, or put you down. I believe I may have said that in a different thread.

Back to costume. Check any fabric store and look at patterns there. Most of the patters in the books can be easily modified or put together...that's what the folks from Iowa do. Can't speak for the rest of the group. We typically pull from the Halloween costumes, taking the parts we like. A shirt from one. A vest from another. Pants from another.

If you were to get on Google, and do an image search for costume patterns, or pants patterns (I recommend salwar(sp?) or wrap pants as being very easy to make) that should get you something you can print out and modify. Use the printer at Kinko's if you don't have a huge printer at home (like most of us don't)

Make-up can play a huge part in pulling a costume off. The right blend of colors, or use of a single solid color on your face and hands (unless you wear gloves) can make it very easy to step back and see something not quite human once you are in costume. Take a look at the main page (alliancelarp.com) for some of the photos of some of our orcs, stone elves, dark elves, sarr, and scavengers to get an idea. You may find something there that you like.

As to the rest...if you would stop replying to every post like it is a personal attack, then the threads would quit getting off topic (as this obviously bothers you so much...which is cool, it's technically right by the letter of the law...but to be fair, you keep taking it off topic when you argue back). Just chill, have a little fun. Give some grief back without getting defensive.

Besides, Tieran really is a jerk sometimes.

Which is fine, because then I can feel like less of one...Tieran does it for me. :D

jnelson said:
Besides, Tieran really is a jerk sometimes.

Seriously.

I hate that guy.

Naw, he may put up the act of a bastard covered bastard with the bastard filling, but he's really just a big ol' snuggle pie. :)

As for costumes, I say shop at chicos or the womens department at Walmart or Target. Big, baggy pieces that can be altered or made into basically whatever type of robe or shirt you want. Good costume jewelry bits too. I know as a guy you're gonna feel kinda weird shopping in the old ladies part of the store looking for a purse, but just remember to keep thinking "will this hold packets?". :)

For my spell packet needs, I find a nice manly shell pouch(the big belt held one) from Gander mountain works wonders with its two pockets and non-grandma look. Although I'd love to find something that works as well thats a bit more in period.

I would imagine the main question about a Tiefling costume would be the horns and tail. Granted, those are technically 'prosthectics' but still, they're the defining items of a Tiefling. I have answered these questions privately but thought I'd expand on them here in the public forum.

Most people use a cloth sewn tail with wire in it to shape it. However, with the slick, skin look of the Tiefling's tail, I would probably go with a form of tubing. You can usually find various types at some hardware stores (such as Orchard) or a plastic supply company (such as Taps Plastics). Many of the plastic tubing can be heat treated to hold a curve (anyone who has left some wrapped in a coil in a hot car knows this). The issue would be building the barbed tail. I probably would just cut some pieces of the tube and angle the ends so they butt up into a point and then attach it to the tail. Any good plastic glue or super glue would work. I wouldn't use a glue gun as it would probably melt. After you get the form down, paint with the appropriate color. I believe you can also put some galvanized wire down the length of the tube to help hold the shape of the tail.

As for the horns, those are a little bit harder as they seem to be the entire browline and take up all of the forehead. Prostectics here would be difficult as the raising of your eyebrows would begin to seperate the glue holding them - not to mention the sheer size and weight of the horns. What I would do would be to actually carve the horns out of open cell foam. Luckily they are very rigged and rough looking so the overall look would be fine. I would probably go with a set that actually curved back over the top of my head so that the overall weight of them could actually sit on top of my head. I would connect the base of them to some form of headband that would be mostly hidden by the horns themselves, the rest being hidden under my hair. Then, at the crown of my head, I would put an additional piece of string, fishing line or elastic between the two horns so that the whole thing sat like a hat on top of my head. In fact, you could probably affix them to a hat and then cut away the parts of the hat that are exposed. I'd then coat the foam with a couple layers of latex and then color as necessary.

Now, as for the 'attacks', I'm going to side with Tiefling on this one. He asked how to build a Tiefling costume. He didn't ask where the nearest game was or where to buy a rulebook or if he would be allowed to play a Tiefling in the Alliance - he was looking for costuming help. But people continued to shoe horn his requests into attending an Alliance game. Maybe what he's looking for in a LARP isn't the Alliance but I don't feel that he should be browbeaten into its tenents. Yes, this is the Alliance boards but I would hope that any LARPer could come here looking for advice and, if none is forthcoming, at least someone could direct him to a place that might have them.

That is very helpful advice on the costume. I'll have to write a lot of it down or print some of the advice out. The horns were actually going to be smaller, classic style devil horns but making the bigger, sweeping horns would be pretty cool too. Are most of those supplies going to cost me a bit of cash? I'm relatively poor.

Back