Costuming over a beard?

Cúangol

Artisan
Hi,

I have a beard, which may conflict with several character choices: (I've played one game and am trying to decide on my permanent character).

1) I know Hoblings need to have sideburns. Does playing a Hobling require that I shave my beard except for the sideburns? Or are there some "extra bushy sideburns" I can attach to my face which wouldn't look weird? Product recommendation?

2) Playing a Sarr would require either prosthetics or a mask. I'm afraid these may be too warm over top of a beard? And that prosthetics may not attach well? Any product recommendations?

Thanks!

Cúangol said:
Hi,

I have a beard, which may conflict with several character choices: (I've played one game and am trying to decide on my permanent character).

1) I know Hoblings need to have sideburns. Does playing a Hobling require that I shave my beard except for the sideburns? Or are there some "extra bushy sideburns" I can attach to my face which wouldn't look weird? Product recommendation?

2) Playing a Sarr would require either prosthetics or a mask. I'm afraid these may be too warm over top of a beard? And that prosthetics may not attach well? Any product recommendations?

Thanks!

I don't know about the Hobling... but I play a sarr, and I do not use prosthetics or a mask except for Friday night and faire days. (I do logistics, so I get into game late sometimes and just throw on my lyonshel for the night and paint up first thing in the morning.)
My other half played a sarr for years and he has a goatee.

So, unless you plan to play a black panther, there's absolutely no need to actually wear facial prosthetics for a sarr. The look can be entirely accomplished with make up.

If you are playing a hobling, you must have prosthetic sideburns, even if your own sideburns seem sufficient. This lets us tell the difference between a player representing a hobling, and a dude who just happens to have bushy sideburns.

I believe if your beard is up to "dwarf status" exceptions have been made. And even with a small bushy beard you can get a fake one of the same color to kind of mesh with your own hair.

You could also play barbarian or gypsie and really require almost no makeup and leave the beard. Or you could be a hairy elf and just throw on some fake ears.

If you are interested in a higher makeup race wylderkin, orcs and ogres can have beards. And this game needs more ogres :)

Dom said:
I believe if your beard is up to "dwarf status" exceptions have been made. And even with a small bushy beard you can get a fake one of the same color to kind of mesh with your own hair.

You could also play barbarian or gypsie and really require almost no makeup and leave the beard. Or you could be a hairy elf and just throw on some fake ears.

If you are interested in a higher makeup race wylderkin, orcs and ogres can have beards. And this game needs more ogres :)

The exception for real beards for dwarves is that you have to put braids in them. Otherwise, you still have to wear a fake beard with your real beard.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

For clarification: I have a short beard (not dwarf-style), and am set on playing a celestial-caster (hence dwarf, ogre, orc, etc are not ideal). I'm also clueless with makeup...

It sounds like prosthetic sideburns are the best bet. Is spirit gum usable over a beard? Or perhaps more importantly, will it come out?

You'll want spirit gum remover to get it out of your beard hairs. If you use that before washing, it should come out fine. I don't know how well it will stick.

When I played a biata I used liquid latex for the feathers over my eyebrows. I experienced issues with the liquid latex running and ending up in my eyebrows and eyes (which may be more of a problem with the skin of the forehead than the spirit gum, so grain of salt.) The latex would sometimes get in my eyebrows, but with a little patience, it rubbed right out without pulling out a lot of the eyebrow hair. I don't know how well or if I'd even advise it over anything more than a very close cropped beard though.

From my experiences, spirit gum will work over a beard but is usually not fun to take off. If you are set on a hobbling a neat trick you can do is wear a hat and attach the sideburns to the hat. You just can't take the hat off which really isn't a bad thing. A nice fedora, top hat or flat cap is a good way to go and fits the hobblings well

You could potentially look into removable hair extensions that you can clip in.

We have a dwarf who does that with his beard... He just clips it onto his real beard and ornaments the seem between the two.

You could also attach sideburns to a pair of spectacles. I think some nice, wire-framed glasses (with or without lenses) would look right on a Hobling.

-Luke

Speaking as someone with professional theatrical makeup experience, I can say that spirit gum is a pain to get out of hair. In the past where I've needed to attach a prosthetic to someone's head I've had success attaching it to a thin headband the colour of his hair. That might work for sideburns.

Alternatively you could be a lion sarr and call the beard your mane.

Inaryn said:
So, unless you plan to play a black panther, there's absolutely no need to actually wear facial prosthetics for a sarr. The look can be entirely accomplished with make up.

Why is that? Is there a law against it where you play?

Gilwing said:
Inaryn said:

Black Panther without a prosthetic will looks too much like a dark elf.

I would just like to comment on the "less than ideal status" of a Celestial caster Dwarf/Ogre/Orc.

If you are playing a Celestial Scholar, then those restrictions are minimal. Unless your local race packet has an issue with Celestialist dwarves it is a perfectly viable choice.

Stephen

SkollWolfrun said:
Gilwing said:
Inaryn said:

Black Panther without a prosthetic will looks too much like a dark elf.

So you require they wear a prosthetic? Because I have seen a few ones on the EC that looked fine. I believe they had a prominent Pink nose. The tail is a dead giveaway.

While not -entirely- required, you have to wear some sort of addition:

pg 46: If you play a black panther sarr, you must wear a prosthetic cat nose, cat ears, or other additions to make it clear to all that you are not a dark elf.

jpariury said:
While not -entirely- required, you have to wear some sort of addition:

pg 46: If you play a black panther sarr, you must wear a prosthetic cat nose, cat ears, or other additions to make it clear to all that you are not a dark elf.

would a tail fulfill this requirement?

I think the general gist is for it to be something in the face/head region.

Ezri said:
I think the general gist is for it to be something in the face/head region.

John Q played one not using prosthetic on his face in HQ and I think he did a great job making sure you knew he was a gorb.

"or other additions to make it clear to all that you are not a dark elf." Tail and pink nose are dead giveaways.

Back