Costuming

orcbane

Hello fellow LARPers,

The reason I write today is to gather information, hear insight and hopefully get a good idea on what exactly I'm going to do for my alt's style of dress. Mainly I am looking to find where the rest of the Alliance finds inspiration. The goal I have in mind is to form a more perfect union with our styles in mind to increase the overall feel and relation to one another in game play.

Keep in mind, I am aware everyone is quite unique! Indeed, this is what makes Alliance so fun- the difference in flavors and ideas. However, even small things we all agree on I'd like to know. For example; do we lean more towards renaissance or closer to Fantasy? Is it a certain type of fantasy, like a film or video game? Do we like buttons or do we like ties? Questions like these will most definitely help me in my search.

Personally, I already have a character- I based him armor and style more or less off of the Rangers of Ithilien. I figured since they're a fairly versatile style they would fit well into the game. While I find it easier for fighters to incorporate most styles of armor into the game seamlessly, I'm trying to figure out how Scholars would do so. In my local chapter I have seen many different styles, influences (that I gather) and the like. However, I'm toying with the idea of a few different styles. These being; The Deatheater-esque robes of Harry Potter, a "Jedi Consular" based ensemble featuring a layering of "battle skirts" and robes- however made to resemble the Renaissance a bit more, Lord of the Rings elven influences and the like. But, these are just examples of what I pull off of.

So! Back to the main question that I would like the discussion to base off: Where do you find inspiration for costuming? I'd love to hear what people do for different races, classes and stories that may make you think that way.

Thanks!

Believe it or not, my main's armor style could be considered inspired by this guy:

images

I don't have a picture of the finished product but what I did was create a sash of washers, each one wrapped with multicolor yarn and then tied together. It is much wider than his so that I could cover over 50% of my body but it does look very cool (needed to be a gypsy) plus it has the advantage of being able to be taken on and off easily.

And, since the washers are thick steel, the entire thing grants 18 points of armor (not including coolness points) :)

markusdark said:
Believe it or not, my main's armor style could be considered inspired by this guy:

images

I don't have a picture of the finished product but what I did was create a sash of washers, each one wrapped with multicolor yarn and then tied together. It is much wider than his so that I could cover over 50% of my body but it does look very cool (needed to be a gypsy) plus it has the advantage of being able to be taken on and off easily.

And, since the washers are thick steel, the entire thing grants 18 points of armor (not including coolness points) :)

How many washers did that take?

My first character's costume was literally an act of kindness- a shop at MDRF saw me looking for garb, found out it was my first outfit, and cut me a deal if I promised to wear it around Faire (rest in peace, Purple Unicorn lady- you were the start of my garb addiction...).

The second one was literally "Dammit, I have to put together an outfit from scratch for this one RIGHT NOW, what's in the bottom of the garb bin..." ...and surprisingly it stuck. That the character ended up fitting the outfit- red and dark clothing to hide the near-constant blood, slightly worn, perpetually tattered and battered and a slowly growing collection of restitched and patched and repaired gear was kinda surprising.

Number three is still a work in progress, but I have till October for that one. :p

O' to the good old days of taking Renaissance like clothing from shops and modifying it to fit or look more to the old world style.

My addiction to ren-based clothing more then just for games, if I thought the world would let me get a way with it I would dress in Gypsy, resonance or mid-evil wheres everyday of my life.

I often describe my apartment as if you fell in to a child's costume box and ended up in wonderland. I oun more "costume peaces" then I do "normal clothing" the book shelf's that line its walls are overflowing with props , and my oversize closet will barely hold half my overall clothing collection ranging in sizes from 16 to 26.

Now a days I sow most my costuming from scratch or I get a hold of or buy used clothing I can deconstruct and build off of.

Far to many of my favorite outfits once where a tabla cloth or a window balance or a deconstructed jacket.
and with in the last 3 months maybe its because of what i am playing in this LARP, the more patch work it looks the better.

Nothing cry's young adventurer like clothing that looks like its been beet up in battle over and over and fixed over and over but still loved.

kittenpunk2 said:
Nothing cry's young adventurer like clothing that looks like its been beet up in battle over and over and fixed over and over but still loved.

Young? Mine got more "character" to it as I got older. By the time I was done, the shirt had a hole in the back, the pants had been patched and sewn up repeatedly, and the belt was two different colors of rivets holding it together and had wear marks from the sword holsters rubbing against it.

I meant all the damage showed an inability to dodge but yes the more time the more where that shows.. so its a bit of both in all the best ways!

I always thought you would own nicer stuff as an "older" adventurer. I mean considering we walk around with more gold in our pockets than most farmers will ever see, you think you would rock so sweet duds. I had a crappy worn out costume at first and every event I make a point of getting something new to my wardrobe. OOG I only drop like 20 or so on materials to make the stuff.

When i first regain playing i did not know anything about the game or the combat and i had 3 favorite customs at the time, a gypsy-ish one i would where to ren fairs, a pirate-ish one i normally whore to highland games and to Cons, and a milk made-ish one i would where in general to themed events...

Oddly it all helped me get in to the grove of the game and even create my back story, such as saying her grew up knowing gypsy's and would shop from there caravans, or buying the craftsmen skills baker so i could say the milk made outfit was what she wore to work in the bake shop.

And, i found out the pirate outfit i had was worth some armor points so it became my 1st armor... all of 8 points but that was way more then 0 for me at such a low lvl.

I still where them all now and again when I play my little MWE healer but I have new outfits that I where for her that I have acquired in game for varying things like needing something to where to a masquerade ball, or after taking a death and rez-ing and my outfit having been shredded... and out of game just having fun making a formal dress, or removing something from the wardrobe due to unrepairable conditions or upgrading to something new...

I really feel that the costuming is a lot of what sets the atmosphere of the games more so on the day events where we are just using a park, it really helps keep you in the old world mind sent when talking with others in really nicely put together old wold clothing.

Heck i just got done making a Gypsy dress for one of are newer players who owned no costuming at all and was wherein a sundress to game. shes going to be sporting it at the upcoming weekend event in 2 weeks for the 1st time i am entreated to see how the other players react to her in game when she sports her new threads. as before it seemed like a lot of people overlooked her.

O' I have a question, so can i get your thoughts on how good costuming vs bad costuming affects your approachability in game, would you normally approach and be more willing to enter act with some one in good costuming or would it not affect your game play? its just a question of fancy, I am entreated about such things since i sow a lot.

kittenpunk2 said:
I really feel that the costuming is a lot of what sets the atmosphere of the games more so on the day events where we are just using a park, it really helps keep you in the old world mind sent when talking with others in really nicely put together old wold clothing.

Exactly what I'm getting at. I'm wondering if there's a more "uniform" idea, or something overall that unifies Alliance Larp folks with their general costuming. Especially elves, as my local chapter only has about 3 including myself!

Nope, no overall unifying theme - other than what might be at your local chapter maybe all MWE's are gothic lolitas in one chapter while in another they're dressed in pastels due to local racial packets/backgrounds.

I had been taking some influence for Ondreij Asclepius from elements of Greco-Balkan and Medieval and early Ranaissance peasant clothing. Finally, after gaining wealth (true to the back story and character history of my Primary) and returning back to home (not many opportunities for buying nice clothes in an outpost community which has been ravaged by cataclysm and war) I have started a new outfit (all in black and green and brown leathers) with a different theme -- relevant because of Ondreij's exposure to other cultures from around the continent of Caldaria.

I also added a latex dagger in a Greco-Balkan style in a dagger frog worn behind on a belt (used for killing blows and cutting friends out if entangles, only) as part of kicking up the costuming a notch, as well as another (soft, brushed leather) belt pouch.

I'm also working on a nice brown velveteen baker's hat (beacause, really, everyone should have some kind of head gear -- at least IMHO)

evi1r0n said:
I always thought you would own nicer stuff as an "older" adventurer. I mean considering we walk around with more gold in our pockets than most farmers will ever see, you think you would rock so sweet duds. I had a crappy worn out costume at first and every event I make a point of getting something new to my wardrobe. OOG I only drop like 20 or so on materials to make the stuff.

Ever have a really comfortable set of clothes, the kind you'd wear till they fall apart?

Yeah, that was the outfit described above. I had other sets of clothing- a dress tunic, mourning clothes for a IG funeral, a big thick blizzard-coat for those nasty winter months. But the main outfit -was- the character to people. It was my on-duty outfit, the gear I expected to get beaten on, bloodied, hacked, spell-blasted, the whole nine yards, then fixed up and back out to the fighting once again...why wear super-fancy outfits doomed to mud, blood, and battle-beatings?

kittenpunk2 said:
O' I have a question, so can i get your thoughts on how good costuming vs bad costuming affects your approachability in game, would you normally approach and be more willing to enter act with some one in good costuming or would it not affect your game play? its just a question of fancy, I am entreated about such things since i sow a lot.

Good costuming goes a LONG way in both directions.

If you're dressed well (not that you look super-stylin- but look like you want to for the character)- it helps you. You feel more comfortable playing the character, people pay attention (in a good way). Likewise, people who see you make the effort tend to subconsciously treat you better. Clothes may not make the man, but they definitely have an impact.

Really bad costuming is a warning sign. Sadly, a lot of the worst players I've seen at LARPs are folks in minimal costume, who then tend to sit there talking OOG until given the evil eye by staff, wouldn't roleplay if you beat them with sticks, and get bored the second there's nothing to hit with a weapon. Not that I won't try to play, or even help out with getting a costume together...but the ones that come event after event in barely more than a T-shirt and jeans ...ugh.

On the other hand- adopt a newbie, get them dressed up? It can be like night and day when they blend in with all the folks in their fancy garb. It doesn't take much. Even a decent shirt/pants and a belt goes a long way.

Talen said:
On the other hand- adopt a newbie, get them dressed up? It can be like night and day when they blend in with all the folks in their fancy garb. It doesn't take much. Even a decent shirt/pants and a belt goes a long way.

I think I did already lol

kittenpunk2 said:
Heck i just got done making a Gypsy dress for one of are newer players who owned no costuming at all and was wherein a sundress to game. shes going to be sporting it at the upcoming weekend event in 2 weeks for the 1st time i am entreated to see how the other players react to her in game when she sports her new threads. as before it seemed like a lot of people overlooked her.

but i know where you are coming from its sad but it happens, people sit a round talking OOG and it dus nothing but tempt you to want to "shoot the ****" with them as well and talk oog yourself. kind of easy to pass up temptation if its not there, kind of hard to if its all a round.

I love making new garb. All I do is go tothe local craft store and thumb through their pattern books untilsomething catches my eye that looks good for the character I'm thinking of. That's where most of Lanna's clothes came from. ((She almost has more clothes then me and is getting more when I get home!)) I also go to thrift stores and look around at the shirts, dresses, ect and see if there's anything I can take apart, add things to, orjust take as is. Believe it or not the thrift store is one of the best places to look for costumeing. Guess where most of the Alt's stuff is gonna be comming from?

But as for a theme?/?? Naw. That would really take back from the game if you think about it. I mean indiviuality is part of the reason so many people like this game. They get to show off their costumes and not be thought of as odd.

Then again people that don't try make it worse for every one. Cause they're just kill joy's most of the time.

Good costume = Good game!

Back