Courtly Manners at Zumar's Rest Light the Way Celebration

Traceroo

Rogue
For those planning to attend Her Grace’s Light the Way celebration in Zumar’s Rest on 25 January, here is a gentle reminder of the appropriate manners to display when in the presence of the higher nobility. Please observe the following customs:

Please kneel when moving into the presence of Her Grace Duchess Tiberion, or one of the barons. You should kneel when Her Grace or one of the barons enters the room, or passes by you. It is appropriate to do this every time someone of such high rank enters your presence; it is not something that you do only once a day. Raise your eyes up to watch for some sign of acknowledgement. Please rise when acknowledged, after 45 seconds have passed, or when the Duchess or the baron passes by you completely, as appropriate.

If you suffer some infirmity which prevents you from easily taking one knee to kneel, please bow from the waist, or otherwise do your best to convey the same level of respect.

It is not necessary to kneel or bow before knights and lords. A simple nod of the head, or other small gesture of acknowledgement is appropriate.

When in audience with Her Grace the Duchess, it is appropriate for you to remain kneeling until you are given rise to stand. You should not bear weapons or summon magical energy to your hands while in the immediate presence of the Duchess. At a minimum, your weapons should be completely sheathed; it would be better to leave your weapons aside before you approach.

At the feast, when the Duchess or barons are seated for dinner, it is necessary to kneel before them only when approaching that person’s table. You need not kneel elsewhere in the feast hall merely because you cross their line of sight. A simple polite nod of the head should you catch their eye is appropriate at that time.

Duchess Tiberion is addressed as, “Your Grace.” This title should be the first words you use when you begin speaking to the Duchess. Barons of the realm are addressed as, “Your Excellency.” Male knights are addressed as, “Good Sir Knight.” Female knights are addressed as, “Good Dame Knight.” Lords and ladies are respectively, “My Lord,” and “My Lady.” Please note that the abbreviated form of, “milord” or “m’lady” is not appropriate when addressing one of the nobility.

Coarse language, bawdy humor, inappropriate dress, and poor grooming are never appropriate displays in the presence of the nobility... or any civilized company at dinnertime or in formal court.

As a final note, your aim should be to bring more politeness to a courtly situation, not confusion. Please do not kneel in doorways, or in other places which might cause calamity. If you are standing in snow or mud, you may bow from the waist and you do not need to kneel to the ground. If you cannot remember the appropriate title to use, you may default to a correctly pronounced, “My Lord” or “My Lady” for anyone wearing a white belt which signifies noble station. Just do your best to try to be polite. That is the most important goal. The nobility of Acarthia are kind-hearted, generous persons who do not expect that everyone they meet has had a lifetime of training in courtly etiquette. Simply do your best to show courtesy and respect, and you will do well.

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of Rivervale

Well said Good Dame Knight, I for one an very appreciative of any advice to properly prepare to interact with the nobility in a respectful and courteous manor.

Well said indeed. Thank you for that refresher Dame Katherine. With the war raging for seven years I fear we have forgotten our ways. You are a shining example to help us remember, myself included.

Thank you.

In truth, in honor,
Sir Jared

Back