Dark Elf make-up...

Breten

Artisan
So I've been working on getting my second character prepped as Garridan (from the new Calgary chapter) has had his first death. Seeig as I am unlucky, I have a feeling it won't be too long before he bites it permanently. So I've been gathering the items I'll need and have picked up some Epic Armoury (Effects) black make-up and ears. My question is do people just temporarily dye their hair white or do most obtain wigs?

Dying your hair white is pretty much just bleaching the ever-living crap out of it and then treating it with blue/purple toner, which has the serious potential to fry your hair. It's also a lot of upkeep.

Mehron makes a product called Hair White that I've seen people use. I personally wrap my head with a scarf and just use a bit of it on the parts around my hairline that are visible. I also have a braid that hits the bottom of my shoulder blades, so I'd need a *ton* of hair white to cover everything.

Wigs are quick to put on, but require maintenance and can get hot. Hair White can run in the rain, giving you the dreaded zebra look post-rainstorm but gives great coverage. Dying your hair white is very high maintenance, but probably looks great (I've never seen anyone with dyed white hair play a dark elf). It's all in what you want to deal with.

Cool thanks. I was curious what people were doing for the white hair. I'm balding, so will likely go for a wig as I don't feel like using the black on the thinning top of my head lol.

I would recommend also looking at having a skull cap (home made or shop bought) with some hair attached to the back/sides. Will be cooler during summer than a full wig, you can cut to a length you like, you can make several, and just toss a beanie over it during the cold months/weather.

A simple 'biker' style skull cap is comprised 3 pieces:
Runner (middle of head, measure from forehead to back of head), sides (half circles on each side of the head), and headband/ties (hat band measurement, add 5+ inches to tie).
Then you can sandwich pieces of costume wig between the headband and another soft fabric inside that will be nicer against your head.

We had a small dark elf army (10 of us or so) at a low-level game a couple summers ago, and all the guys had either shaved heads or hair so short (like 1/16th of an inch or less) there was no way to apply hair white. The only white you saw on the male portion of the group was facial hair (they all had some combination of sideburns/beard/goatee/mustache), eyebrows and eyelashes. Everything else was airbrushed black.

One of the girls used a hat and white wool and made it look like she had dreadlocks, it looked really cool. Another one tried to use makeup and her braid soaked up most of a bottle of hair white.

You can get white 'hair makeup' at a local costuming shop (if you are actually in Calgary there's a store called The Masque on Macleod just between Heritage and Southland - it's in the shopping outlet with the Cash Converters. It's south of the Co-op, but north of the Rona and Wal-Mart. Actually, there's a greek restauraunt that's right next to it. It's on the north side of that little area.)

Anyways, I bought some white & silver 'hair makeup' from them in order to give myself an aging effect. Its water-soluble so when you're done you just have to wash your hair. I was told to put some on a smooth plate and run the comb through it, and then through my hair to apply it. I have not yet tried it (will try it for 'Work Day' on June 2nd)

EDIT: re-reading the post - what I described is similar to mehron's 'hair white'. The stuff I described that The Masque sells cost $9 for a small bottle which is more than on that webpage but then there's no S&H.

Well, I am in Calgary and live right by the place you describe though I have to say I didn't know it existed. I'll be hitting Don's Hobby Shop and the Costume Shoppe on Sunday with my Drama teacher friend, and looking at hair whitener and wigs. There was just an Anime Con last weekend so I was looking at a few of the cosplay wigs out there too.

All good ideas here, thanks guys. I should have something figured out by our work day on June 2nd.

For wigs, shorter is better. You won't realize how heavy it is until you're running around with it on your head. Long ponytails and braids look cool but can wear on the head and neck.

If you go the route of the wig, do it and yourself a favor and get a head form to store the wig on. Keeping it folded and stored in a tote or bag will damage the hair and the cap that it's attached to.

Breten said:
I'll be hitting Don's Hobby Shop and the Costume Shoppe on Sunday with my Drama teacher friend, and looking at hair whitener and wigs...

Haven't heard of those places, where are they located? Maybe I can tag along with you on Sunday? I've hit every store I can think of in this area for supplies except the Value Village by Chinook Mall, the two leather shops (one apparently in the same area as The Masque and one up by the Cheesecake Cafe), and the fabricland that's just past the Cheesecake.

The stores that I HAVE been to in this area include;
Walmart
Canadian Tire (only bought the glowstick for liquid light there)
the dollar store in that centre north of the rona, plus the one by the Winners (apparently there's also one near the Toys 'R' Us)
Winners
London Drugs
The Sewing Room (near the winners - lovely staff there - picked up some fabric for spell bundles and will be picking some up later to make a robe & cloak.)
Scrapbooker's Paradise (in the centre north of the rona)
The Masque (as I described above)

So yeah, lots and lots of places within walking distance of where live - and you indicated you live in this area too. Even more if you count walking distance of the c-train! (Multiple Michael's, for example.) I also picked up a nice period-looking bag at the Zellars in Sunridge Mall for my first aid kit and other IG personal gear if I do accompany people on an adventure.

I also haven't wandered through Chinook or Southcentre malls yet, but intend to.

Right on! I'll admit to not having yet read through everything on the website. I have most of the book pretty well read (enough that I can remember most of the important stuff or at least know where to look if I need to find out). I've only skimmed the racial stuff, and barely touched the website beyond a quick skim (but read through these boards pretty thoroughly now).

Now that I have most of my stuff put together (still have to make my robe - I just picked up the fabric today) I'll probably look through the website and re-familiarize myself with the biata race packages and Chapter-specific stuff you linked me to during the first week of June, which means I'll be ALL SET for the 15th :). (Found out that London Drugs carries travel-size shampoo/body wash/toothpaste etc, so picked up some of that to pack! Still have to find the mosquito patchs you mentioned, but I'm swinging by Canadian Tire today or tomorrow, I'll see if they have any such thing.)

mythic said:
Justin those Don's and Costume shop have links from our website:

http://www.alliancealberta.ca/information.htm

Cheers

Wal_mart carries the patches. That is where I go to get them in town.

mythic said:
Wal_mart carries the patches. That is where I go to get them in town.

Thanks! Are they in sporting goods? I was just at canadian tire and didn't see any, so I picked up a spray (I was mainly there to pick up glowsticks). BTW - does the Chapter have any use for Canadian Tire Money? I got some, but I almost never shop there... I think this was the 2nd time I've EVER been in one (the first was last week and my debit card didn't work so I couldn't pick up the glowsticks then)

its' cause they are SOOOOOO secretive..... no really, wasn't my oversight at all.... now it you'll excuse me for a couple minutes..... :ninja:

Back