Delving for information

Tracy F-M

Good afternoon,

Myself, my husband and 2 friends are looking to come along to an event (its our first ever event) but we aren't sure quite what event might be more appropriate for first timers. I see there is a rule book and i'm currently reading that, any other recommendations and what i should be reading would be greatly appreciated. Also do you have a regular meet or just for your main events as listed on your Facebook page? As its our first event are we required to come in dress or can we just grab what ever we can find in the wardrobe and wing it for a day?

Sorry for all the questions but thank you in advance.

Reactions: Jim
Hi Tracy!

Welcome to Alliance San Francisco. Please email plot at brimmswatch@alliancesf.net and we can get you some more information about the local world. Do you know what types of characters you want to build? I suggest NPCing your first event.

Heya Tracy! I absolutely recommend emailing staff at the email Jim provided.
All the reading is in the rulebook. Staff can also offer you race packets for the land we specifically play.
The events on the Facebook group are the main events, there is no regular meet.
PCs (player characters) do wear garb, and if you play a race other than human the racial requirements must be met.

You should absolutely NPC your first event. NPC stands for 'non player character' where you essentially play the monsters. NPCing is free, hot meals are provided for them, and all you need to bring are black pants, black shirt and stuff to sleep in (like sleeping bag, tent, etc). It's a great way to get used to the game, get a crash course on the rules, try out weapons, and get a feel for what you would want to play as your own character.

Hi Tracy! I'm the player rep for our chapter and I thought I would at least chime in and second the opinions shared so far. NPCing is a great way to get used to the rules and see them in action before you make any choices about your character's direction. Not to mention that you get credit towards your character every time you NPC an event! That means that if you were to NPC a weekend event you can put the experience you would have earned towards a character you would want to play in the future. When I first started LARPing I NPCed for a year before I started playing a character (I'm not saying by any means that this is "the way to do it", but a decent amount of our community started out as NPCs for various lengths of time and some are career NPCs!) and all the experience that I got by NPCing really helped when I started playing a character because I knew the system a lot better than I would have otherwise. NPCing is very fun because you can check out just about every aspect of the game, from sword fighting to spell casting, and see where your interests lie before making any lasting decisions with a character.
All our staff and players are friendly, wonderful people. I'm sure you, your husband, and your friends will have a blast! As Jim mentioned, if you have any questions about our Enerret campaign the email he provided is great to send any questions to. We also have another campaign that we run (using the same characters, just a different setting) called Maelstrom. If you have any questions about that campaign feel free to email them at maelstrom@alliancesf.net. If you have any general questions about the non plot atmosphere of our game or just want to talk shop please don't hesitate to email me at sfplayerrep@gmail.com. This game has quickly become a passion of mine and I never turn down an opportunity to talk someone's ear off about it!
Hope to see you all soon and don't hesitate to say "hi" when you get to one of our events! I'll be the one with the big sword and dreadlocks :)

P.S.
Check out our facebook page as well, we have pictures!

Heyya,
I just wanted to pipe in with a slightly different perspective. I will definitely agree that starting out NPCing is a great way to learn the rules and safe combat practice, and that if the adventure/combat end of the game is where your interest lies, getting a good grasp on the rules highly advisable. On the other hand, if what draws you into the game is the immersive role playing, development of your character, and the the interactions between you and other characters, and you plan to be a non-combatant, or at least strongly avoid combat, it may be a better route for you to jump right into PCing (though a basic knowledge of the rules is still important!)
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Back