Disabling Effects

TardiS

When I say disabling effects, I'm talking about stuff like: Paralysis, Prison, Laugh, Nausea, Sleep generally stuff that knocks you out of game for 10 minutes (or until you die).

Is there a reason these last for 10 minutes? I've been to a few games now at several chapters and I tend to see a few scenarios:
1.They get dispelled or cured or whatever because the person is needed asap
2. They get tooled down and die (and are then lifed or rez'd or whatever but the effect is gone)
3. The combat ends and they spend the next 5-9 minutes not really being able to do much RP
4. The combat is so long they spend the next 5-9 minutes watching everyone fight and eventually can join back up (and hope they don't get the same effect again)

My question is, why do these effects last 10 minutes? Why not 5? I'm curious what the reasoning is behind that. As I see it detract from some people's roleplay/boffing for a long time, for the sake of crowd control. 5 minutes to me seems like it would do a great job of crowd control without forcing a lot of dead time on people. (especially in the case of monsters swinging disabling carriers).

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Prison, once upon a time, was an hour. Great when it's your own prison and you're using it as a defense, sucky when you get hit with one and no one has a dispel.

My guess? 5 minutes goes by faster than you'd think (especially if you're waiting on a life spell!), 10 minutes makes those effects a little scarier.

Gotcha, maybe I've just seen a weird number of odd situations where it seemed to just kinda mess with you, I haven't been to too many games yet so maybe that's more the exception than the rule.

TardiS said:
Gotcha, maybe I've just seen a weird number of odd situations where it seemed to just kinda mess with you, I haven't been to too many games yet so maybe that's more the exception than the rule.

It's particularly scary when you just got to -1 & hit at a Prison almost simultaneously...I was doing the math in my head, Prison & brain went -2! And just standing here doing the death count...I think I was around 20 seconds from Dead when a Dispel came along.

Most effects are 10 minutes, or line of sight (binding). The "bleed out til the Prison/paralysis goes down" count sucks, though... I've needed more life spells that way...

If we didn't have alteration/curse/binding/prison, it would mostly be a game of "I damage you" "I heal you/myself!" "I damage you again!" "I get more healing!" "I damage you even more!" "Oh... I ran out of healing. Now I'm dead."

So much more fun when you get feebleminded, vertigoed, and hallucinated at the same time. Then you're just sitting/lying on the ground, babbling at things that aren't there :)

SkollWolfrun said:
TardiS said:

It's particularly scary when you just got to -1 & hit at a Prison almost simultaneously...I was doing the math in my head, Prison & brain went -2! And just standing here doing the death count...I think I was around 20 seconds from Dead when a Dispel came along.

If you were in your death count then you did not need a dispel because the prison drops. If you were bleeding out then you played it correctly.

jpariury said:
I believe by "death count", he means "counting towards death", vs. your "rezz count". Regional colloquial thing.

Didn't know people called it different things. I always thought the RB called it a "Death Count" when you were Dead and needed a Life Spell.

Virtually everyone I've played with referred to being at -1 as "bleeding out" although the phrase appears in the rule book only once: page 159, in the tabletop rules. That condition is in fact "Dying".

Maybe we should fly all the marshals from every chapter to a conference where we go over the top 50 rules errors.

Or maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
Virtually everyone I've played with referred to being at -1 as "bleeding out" although the phrase appears in the rule book only once: page 159, in the tabletop rules. That condition is in fact "Dying".

Maybe we should fly all the marshals from every chapter to a conference where we go over the top 50 rules errors.

What players call it doesn't matter as long as things are functioning the way they're supposed to. As JP said, regional colloquialism.

I have no idea why you feel that kind of response was either necessary or appropriate...

I felt the same way about your post, since it kind of felt like you just scanned through to find something to nitpick instead of reading the whole thing.

Regional etiquette?

I felt the same way about your post, since it kind of felt like you just scanned through to find something to nitpick instead of reading the whole thing.

Regional etiquette?

Here's your steak.

Sorry, it is basically me.
-1: Bleeding out.
-2 to -6: I am in my Death Count.
-7 to -11: I am in my Rez Count.

If Killing Blow:
-1 to -5: I am in my Death Count.
-6 to -11: I am in my Rez Count.

It helps me remember how the numbers work.

...Rez count?

if you're at -1 for the first minute, you need a spell/potion with the word "Cure" in it.
For minutes 2-6 (or 1-5 if you're Deathed, engulfed, or otherwise Killing Blowed), you need a Life spell.
...what are you doing for the next 5? You should have already dissipated, taken off all your IG stuff, put on a white headband and headed for the circle.

Is there something I'm not understanding there?

SkollWolfrun said:

Sorry, it is basically me.
-1: Bleeding out.
-2 to -6: I am in my Death Count.
-7 to -11: I am in my Rez Count.

If Killing Blow:
-1 to -5: I am in my Death Count.
-6 to -11: I am in my Rez Count.

It helps me remember how the numbers work.

There's no number past -1 in our system. At -1 you are bleeding out, aka dying. After one minute in that state, you are Dead and require a life spell.

Back