Discussion/Comments on the Moderator Announcement!

RiddickDale

Knight
New Hampshire Staff
Chief Publicity and Digital Content Officer
Please place your comments regarding the recent announcement regarding the National Moderation Committee here.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Stephen
Chair
National Publicity Committee

I personally want to say thank you to those who are dedicating their time to helping foster our alliance community. I'll be honest, I tend to shy away from the general boards, for a lot of the reasons that Stephen mentioned in the announcement. But I do love this game and the community that plays it. We all have different opinions, and there's no harm in expressing those opinions. It's important we work together though and express those opinions in a helpful and constructive way! Already, with the gentle reminders to stay on topic, I think the boards have improved. Not surprisingly, the last few days the discussions have been a lot more constructive, I see some great ideas springing forth from players East coast to West coast and all in between! So thank you again to our moderators for their time, effort, and helping us be a better community :)

~Stacey Beshers
Alliance Deadlands player

You're very welcome. We appreciate the support. Even though we post anonymously, know we are all players who are very passionate about this game. Getting moderated is never fun but it's never personal or meant as a slight. We are all human, after all. Hope we can make the boards a better place.

Will the forum rules be being updated soon to reflect the implementation of the new moderators and the desired refocus of the forums?

Not sure I like the idea of a faceless set of names that a list of people can log onto in order to mod topics. It has killed some boards I've frequented. Bit biased from past expirence, but take it with a grain of salt.

We decided to go with the anonymous handles because of reactions to moderators in the past. There were some players who insisted that various moderators had it in for them any time they were warned of inappropriate behavior, or were only moderating their posts because they had opposing opinions or the like.

The "faceless set of names" will not be permitted to run amok. As their title Paladin implies, they are to serve the community, and set the example of behavior. That being said, you do have a recourse if you feel you're being treated unfairly. While they are anonymous they are identifiable; each moderator always uses the same handle. If you have a problem with a moderator you can report such to me as Moderator Chair or Christina as Alliance Chair.

The team members who have volunteered for this come from across the Alliance - literally coast to coast and in-between. Most are marshals in at least one chapter. It is our sincere hope that by having some guidance and leadership from the moderators we can help these forums become what they were meant to be - a place where players feel they are a welcome part of the community.

Thank you, Michelle.

Anonymous posting will let us keep our moderator duties separate from our personal posting, as well. It was one of the reasons I liked the idea so much.

As for me, I welcome our faceless overlords, because what genuine constructive discussion always needs is more anonymous whitewash. :thumbsup:

I have to say I'm all for them anonymously moderating as long as they stay neutral. I'm all for it. Fair is fair. Good luck to all you moderators.

Wraith,

Reading just the text I can't quite tell if that's good-natured sarcasm or straight up snark. Can you please elaborate on your feelings on this?

Ezri said:
Wraith,

Reading just the text I can't quite tell if that's good-natured sarcasm or straight up snark. Can you please elaborate on your feelings on this?

Bit of both. I've been on the net a very long time, and in that time I have never seen anonymous moderation serve to encourage positive discussion rather than enforce a viewpoint. People are far more willing to be draconian at the drop if the hat when they know it will not be linked to their usual persona.

That's a valid concern Wraith.

I encourage you to provide feedback if you see that happening.

No system is perfect. We know that. If this system fails I would expect that it will be re-evaluated quickly.

I, for one, value your experience. I look forward to your commentary (Sans vitriol of course).

Cheers,

Stephen
Chair
National Publicity Committee

One question regarding the new moderators - who knows their true identities? Just the publicity chair and Christina? Or the owners as well?

All,

I realize that we spend our weekends trying to solve mysterious plots but this isn't one of them. The moderators are not out to get you, and I ask that you please not undermine the effort of these volunteers before they even get their feet wet.

I ask that you please respect the anonymity of the team and let them do their jobs. Again, if you have concerns about a moderator please do not hesitate to bring it to my attention or Christina's.

Thank you.

Agahi said:
We where asked for our comments.

But wouldn't it be a much better forum if those comments were constructive?

Morganne said:
Owners have access to view all committee information.

Cool. Thanks for the quick response. As long as there is oversight, I'm good with it. :)

I think having a Paladin of Chaos is an oxymoron. :zonks:

I can't really condone it.

Scott

Back