Disturbance in the Tavern

Ehvarion

Edarius steps into the tavern. He gazes around, acknowledging nobody, even as they attempt to greet him. He slowly makes his way to the far corner where he sinks into a seat and begins speaking quietly, but audibly enough that villagers around him take notice.

Are they ghosts...lies fabricated by the mind? Did it really happen? Was I really there? Was any of it real...or was it an assault by a delusional mind?

Am I cursed to walk in circles...lost within the shadows where all roads are but barren wastes. Needed not by the knights, needed not by the guard, needed not by the guilds, needed not by the people. Am I but a tool used by others, or is there an unseen path I am to follow?

Needed not by the knights, nor the guard, nor the guilds, nor the people. Are they real? Is this place real? Great forests and fertile plains taunt me from the edges of my vision...but the wastes stay my feet. Am I cursed? Have I gone mad? Have I gone mad?

Edarius repeats this each time his utterance growing softer until he soon enough falls silent, but he does not move from the seat.

The villagers seated nearby know not what to make of Edarius's ramblings. One approaches to ask what disturbs him but the addled warrior's hand swiftly finds the hilt of his blade. The villager backs off and warns others to keep their distance.

"Stay back, fiend," Edarius says, "Whisper not lies and falsehoods into my ears. Cast me not deeper into the wastes, less I never find the forest...and the fertile plains that taunt me from just outside my reach."

Last edited:
*Takes a seat opposite and pushes a brownie on a plate in front of Edarius, but says nothing.*

Edarius consumes the brownie, not acknowledging the chocolateer across the table from him. He continues muttering to himself, his behavior unchanged.

As the sun rises Edarius has vanished from the tavern. Nobody knows where he has wandered. It is clear that his mind is by some means afflicted with utter madness. It is unclear what danger he might pose to himself or others, but as folk gather to contest Lumos it is beyond question that he will be absent.

A Wolfkin has left a note on the door of the tavern.

To whom it may concern,

Pursue friend not, less blood stain the ground. Whulf will help friend if Whulf can, but for safety maintain distance.

To those who fight beside him and call him friend as Whulf does, a new shield you need find for this fight. To friends Tairin, Leonin, Isodel, and others he traveled beside. Stay safe, Whulf hopes friend will return with sound mind. If not, Whulf shall grant friend release.

Guardians Corynn and Muirgheal, whatever happens, whatever Whulf must do, do not blame yourselves. If the worst should happen, please forgive Whulf.

-Whulf

A villager remarks that when the wolfkin hung the note, that there was a look of knowing on the wykderkin's face as if what was to transpire was already decided.

Back