Dragonfall Event Feedback - What what your favorite Experience/Costume/Interaction?

We love getting your feedback and this past event is a double whammy for us with the addition of the 2.0 Playtest.

Post about your best experiences at the event so that we know what you liked and others can catch up on the things they missed.

Once you're done with that, follow this link and give us your feedback on the 2.0 Playtests.

Dealing with the Illithid was a very small moment within the weekend, but for me it has become one of my favorites from Larping.

First off, it had a general sense of surprise. Real surprise. Not in a frustrating "jumped out from the darkness , Gotcha" way. But in a "This is unexpected and unknown. While still being slow moving so you can try to process what happened" As I was facing off with him, my mind was racing as to what had happened, or how it could have happened. When you get surprised in the woods, you often don't have a chance to appreciate the ramifications in the moment. This really hit that sweet spot.

The mask was perfect. I knew instantly what it was, (or close enough to be alarmed), so nothing broke the flow, from delicious cheese-cake, to arm-up and defensive positions. See figure, hear alarm, that real sense of "oh man, get weapons, something is going down"

I had a little bit of time standing off solo. Yes, the tavern was very crowded, but the way the tables laid out, and people getting weapons, I felt alone for just long enough to feel it, then Arai posted up on my left, and I realized that Belfry covering from further back. For me, that was a fantastic camaraderie moment.

The conversation. Initially I couldn't hear you, truly. That mask muffled your voice, and the tavern was loud. But when you spoke up, it was perfect. I don't know if you were doing a voice, or if it was pitch changed from the mask. But that voice, fit the character so well. Your word choice, and cadence of speech, had that weight of importance that is so very hard to get in a larp. Even after I passed you off to Mathis, the dramatic prose you dropped was real real good. I don't know if you wrote that ahead of time, or what, but specifically the line "Suffer your heroism" really hit me. That was a nice, weighty, meaningful statement.

The implications: It was an overall great way to get info into the players hands. It didn't feel like an info-dump, but it was very much another piece in a convoluted puzzle. We didn't here about them from a random lightning elemental or in a job board. It wasn't an all powerful dude striding into town to throw his weight around. This was a villain who infiltrated the feast and delivered a message.

Well done Luis, for acting it out so well, and well done whichever plot runner decided that was how to introduce the new faction.

-Joe

Well done Luis, for acting it out so well, and well done whichever plot runner decided that was how to introduce the new faction.

I had to cover my face because he was doing such a good job that I was smirking so much. When Louis nails a part like that, it makes embarrassed for how bad of a role player I am compared to him.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Joe. A lot of people are expecting a red wedding type moment. While this certainly was that, it was a cool surprise. Some players had caught on to Louis's character and were scheming and it almost got busted before it happened. It all came together perfectly like things rarely do.

V's feast was a perfect setting for this. I'll talk more about that later after some other people contribute.

My first Dragonfall with you all and I'm SO glad I got to experience it! Not to be predictable but the feast was by far my favourite "moment" of the event. First of all, major kudos to Michael and Gen and their parents, and all others who contributed, to that fantastic smorgasbord. Not only delicious but so well presented and still totally in character.

It was a (dubious) honour for Ilarion (who is a bit of an anarchist) to meet the famous King Lycergis and he had to kind of suck up his personal opinions and be respectful so as not to embarrass the adventurer-nobles and adventurer-knights he actually does respect. I hadn't initially planned to participate in the bardic competition, but I heard a song I particularly love on the way down to Chelsea and on the spot modified the lyrics to avoid any Alliance-rule problems (specifically religious ones). And I appreciate it was so well received.

Also super proud of the Healing House, which had to be reinvented on the fly since our original structure was closed off due to foundation issues and we were using the yurt. I think it turned out really well. Unfortunately I did not get in-character to go anywhere besides there and the tavern so I have no clue what the other cabins looked like, but I just think Nette was able to be super inventive in spite of being completely exhausted by the time she arrived Friday night, and I loved using the yurt as a headquarters.

I think this chapter's really good about elaborate costuming and makeup so it's often hard to choose a favourite, but for this event my favourite costume was easily Thomm (NPC)! I'd never met "Troll Daddy" before and that entire getup is absolutely fantastic! Coming in at a super close second, I loved the ensemble that new player Naya (Nicole) put together as a maple barkskin dryad.

Not necessarily a "favourite" moment, but a favourite funny moment, during the fight with the blackswordfacemen. While fighting Mara's NPC, Aiden's NPC knocked me out. Mathis(?) spellstrike healed me for five, I started to sit up, Aiden hit me for six (mid-fighting another character) and I fell back down. Asher force fed me a potion for three and I started to sit up, Aiden hit me for six (again mid-fight) and I fell back down. Someone else threw a 10 Healing packet at me immediately before we rifted out. It just felt like comedy gold at the time.

And of course, since this was the first time since June I'd seen a lot of you... I missed you all! So good to see you again, and so awesome to see several new players!!!

Last edited:
I had a great time.

Friday was a highlight of the season for me. I made some major progress, and felt really keyed into things. Bleak's head falling from were it was mounted and making us think it was haunted rounded out the night perfectly.

Thank you for those who fed me bacon as a bear (Minus the sand bacon), it was tasty.

Sorry, not sorry Annette. :)

The feast was incredible. Brigit, that Tiramisu was baller! Thank you Mike, Jared, Kristy, Dave, Lou, Chad, Katrina, and especially Genevieve. V, girl. You did an amazing job organizing the feast, it was beautiful, the food was wonderful, the pig was so well themed and tasty AF. Plus you made it stare down Chris, which I approve of. You managed to out do yourself from last year, which is frankly amazing!

Thank you NPC's and Plot. You always work your butts off for us and it was such a great time. Joe is right, Lou your Illithid was spectacular, you really put so much into every character you play! I cannot wait for October, so I can interact with it more!

Chad- Thanks for spending all night doing rituals! I heard the Labyrinths were fun. I'm sorry I missed them.

Chris- It was fun watching you be uncomfortable around Jane. Thank you so much for building the database and the character builder. It made the switch to 2.0 so SO much better. I can't believe you are running 5 Logistics, building the games database and running plot for us all. Thanks!

Travis- As always, thank you and again sorry for monopolizing your time. I'm sad I missed Troll Daddy coming to visit the town.

Hands down my favourite moment was Jane though, you utterly 'NAILED IT'. If we are voting for best costume and best PC, I vote both for Jane this weekend. Her make-up, antlers and costuming were on point. Her character was so entertaining to watch. I was so happy I got to sit next to you at the feast.

Oh, I forgot a couple of things.

Taed- You have a lovely singing voice. Thanks for sharing the song.

Matt Ferrara- You kind of get overlooked a lot. Thank you so much for organizing Monster camp all the time. I doubt the bumbling group of 'helpers' could get everything into the trailer without you. And doing the laundry for NPC camp-SO IMPORTANT. Also, thank you for getting everything set up for the 2.0 change on Friday!

One more thing. Stop leaving your credit card at afters, old man.

Favorite moments:

-Labyrinth was awesome and I think really helped our gang refine our tactics/process as well some bonding.

-The test of spirit with Merlo(sp?); was a very nice RP encounter that felt like it had weight. Even though we guessed it was the test, during it; it didn't feel that way. Very well executed.

Alot of different things happen this event that I enjoyed.
1. The Labyrinth was an awesome idea to test out things with a in-game feel of no pressure of death. But even without that the way it was done was great and was able to use my craftsmans.
2. Helping with the feast was fun for me as I wanted to try something else than last year.
Carrying the pig and watching everyone's face was priceless.
3. Feeling wanted was about the best thing that could happen to me. Being initiated back into the moonless nights made me feel apart of something.
4. Finally getting my writs if not written yet but went through the trials and felt nice progress into personal plot in Merrow along with alot more information.
5. Enjoyment after a very long and hard week at my job. I was hoping it wouldn't put even more stress on me and it lighten my mood.
6. New players and the costumes and role play that they were all about. Nice seeing someone play a biata which has been my favorite race. Honestly if it weren't for the boon for craftsman I would be a biata.
7. The Illithid. I was in the kitchen as we're heard screaming, Collete yelling pyke take your swords and go. Standing right behind listening to him waiting for the word to drop everything I had into his back was a nice feeling that I could actually be as formidable as a top line fighter in 1.3 rules.
8. Seeing all the new style of playing and specialties that will make people stand out in certain areas. Being not wedged into one style because we have to be.

Jared

The feast was awesome! I loved being a paranoid uncivilized bunny among nobles and being as terrible as possible with my table manners. Gotta love it when you and the barbarian are cackling away with food hanging out of your mouth. Though I think I scared a few people at first because I kept shoving everything in my mouth. Then of course there was presenting my drawing and roleplaying the terror of "What do you mean I have to present it to the King!?" It was actually hard to keep my expression and mannerisms scared and clueless. I remember handing things to Joe and then being like "Wait isn't he playing a noble?" so I had to snatch them back and be all "You can't hold that you're important!"

And of course there was the Syn Roast before the feast. I thought I was going to die from laughing.

I didn't even mind getting rolled and hopefully some newbies learned to not leave the straight up healer with no offense alone. Right guys? ...Guys?....*dies again*

It's hard for me to write feedback considering I didn't really participate in the event.
I had one little pocket of roleplay with Radi and Thom for 5 or so minutes then it was back to cooking.
So I really want to hear more about the feast competitions and what not!!

Since I don't have much to give back in the form of feedback I just wanted to say a couple thank you's.

First off a huge thank you to Michael. Mike has been my rock through this whole thing and has really supported me when I wanted to break down the week leading up to the event.
Friday night was the roughest for me as I didn't really sleep due to last minute preparations but having him there with me in the morning was a perfect way to take a deep breath and look forward with optimism.

Another thank you to my family, who don't read the forums but I am serious when I say without my mom and dad and brother this feast wouldn't have happened simple as that.
Mike's family was fun to have around too.

Dave and Kristie were the ones who came in absolute clutch for me though. Things wouldn't have run as smoothly if they hadn't been there in the kitchen with me listening to my orders with no question or hesitation and ready to do the next steps right after completing the previous given. You two are my dearest friends and are always there when I need you and I can't thank you enough.
When Katrina joined in as well that was perfect. Until she cut her hand. But once I patched her up she was right back to work like a trouper.

My serving staff were fantastic (Out of game) and mostly fantastic in game. With the exception of one who I am convinced might get me beheaded for having him serve the King. But truly you all were great and Jared joining in was a huge help too. He was the only server I was worried about because, well Pyke is a little mischievous and whatnot, but he was a champ. Never complained, never missed a beat with serving, and cracked me up whenever I couldn't find him he was eating in the kitchen. So very Pyke like.

Lou and Chad, you guys. Man. Chad, other than my parents, you are the only way this feast works. All of my insecurities vanish when that hour before the feast hits and you arrive. I look at you for strength and you give it back to me via support. I know that between me and you we can run a damn fine kitchen and without you all those little moments that always go wrong wouldn't go as smoothly. They just wouldn't. I dont' know if you all know but half of my ovens weren't on smack dab in the middle of the feast. You didn't know? You didn't know that you almost didn't have rolls and potatoes and pasties? Of course you didn't. 'Cause I have a bomb *** team. Boom. (That really happened.) Lou out of game you are such an amazing person to have a round. Though I laughed every time a big strong man was needed during prep and you seemed to get overlooked for Dave and Jared, you still were a huge help and I can always trust even when I'm not telling you what to do you're there doing a great job. In game though, I'm taking Chris's advice and serving Calamari next year in exchange for maybe keeping my own head. So thanks for that.

Inger, Matt, and Travis, thank you so much for all of your blind support. You never know the plans I have or what I'm doing but all of you just blindly lend me all the support I need and trust that I will come through. That trust is the only reason I can put all of this work together. I know that you all depend on me and have faith in me and that means the world when it comes to Dragon Fall.

I'm going to be honest everyone, Dragon Fall Festival is hard for me to do. I plan for it for months and the week leading too, along with the day off is just blurry anxiety fueled Chaos. But those moments when dinner is served and you're all there enjoying eachother and the food really does touch my heart to the core. I feel emotional just thinking about those little moments and it just fuels me more and more for next year. If I've forgotten anyone in this thank you I'm sorry there's just so much that goes into it I can't even think straight recalling it all.

Every single person who participates in this chapter is the reason Dragon Fall is a holiday. You are all the reason there is something to celebrate. We aren't just celebrating the Fall of the Great White Wyrm. We are celebrating what it is to come together as an adventuring community and have a purpose. In and Out of Game. It is my joy and honor to serve all of you and I hope that all of you feel that in your hearts as well. SoMi is our home and I am so grateful all of you are a part of it.

Much love everyone.

The feast was awesome! I loved being a paranoid uncivilized bunny among nobles and being as terrible as possible with my table manners. Gotta love it when you and the barbarian are cackling away with food hanging out of your mouth. Though I think I scared a few people at first because I kept shoving everything in my mouth. Then of course there was presenting my drawing and roleplaying the terror of "What do you mean I have to present it to the King!?" It was actually hard to keep my expression and mannerisms scared and clueless. I remember handing things to Joe and then being like "Wait isn't he playing a noble?" so I had to snatch them back and be all "You can't hold that you're important!"

And of course there was the Syn Roast before the feast. I thought I was going to die from laughing.

I didn't even mind getting rolled and hopefully some newbies learned to not leave the straight up healer with no offense alone. Right guys? ...Guys?....*dies again*

I am sorry about what happened during our not-so-successful peaceful negotiations which led up to that unfortunate turn of events. I really tried to rally everyone together to avoid that. :(

I am sorry about what happened during our not-so-successful peaceful negotiations which led up to that unfortunate turn of events. I really tried to rally everyone together to avoid that. :(
Yeah, those goblins, huh? xDD

(I have to admit that my NPC block of time was also another favourite from the weekend LOL)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I could only make it for Saturday, but I had a great time! Everyone was cheerful for the most part, and it was really cool to hear everyone saying, "Happy Dragonfall!" to one another. Genevieve said it best, "We aren't just celebrating the Fall of the Great White Wyrm. We are celebrating what it is to come together as an adventuring community and have a purpose." It's that kind of mentality that makes this feel like much more than just a game or a hobby. That and the plot team always do an outstanding job to make the impossible possible. There are some truly gifted and imaginative people working on all of this for everyone and they never disappoint!

Thank you to everyone for making this possible! You never cease to blow my mind and I cannot wait until the next time I join you!

It's ok man, lessons must be learned. Better to learn it on the first few deaths though. ;)

My favorite part of Dragonfall is definitely the puzzles and riddles. Mathis's are always the most challenging. I'm still working on this years...very slowly as now I have reality to deal with too. I didn't participate in the Labyrinth which I regret as it sounds like it was a great way to test out the new 2.0 rules.

I have to say Cat/Jane was the best costume for me. Her make up was so good I didn't even know it was Cat until Inger told me. Her mannerisms and RP was great too, though I didn't interact with her too much. I was nearby when she requested "the strongest man in the kingdom" as her reward for getting the best card hand. It was amazing! I don't want to leave out our brand new players either. The birch dryad leaf armor was very cool. Sorry to Joe/biata for your feathers melting off on Saturday.

I was so focused on puzzles I only went on a couple mods. It demonstrated to me that I did not care for my build so I'm glad to have the opportunity to try something new in October.

Evie...the feast...you WAY outdid yourself from last year. Everything was great and the atmosphere was spot on. I cant believe you roasted a whole pig. And yes, the fact it was staring down the king was hilarious. Thank you to everyone who helped cook and serve, it wouldn't have gone as smoothly without so many of you. Evie, thank you for taking the time and immense effort required to pull off such an amazing production. Unfortunately it was so hot in the tavern I had to keep going outside to cool off.

Lou! Your illithid was spot on and terrifying. It was so cool to see you surrounded by PCs ready to kill you with one wrong twitch or word from you and you kept you composure the whole time. Your cadence and voice were great and the phrase "suffer your heroism" was perfect. I'm excited to see where this plotline leads.

See you all in a few weeks!

Back