Dream Sites

wolfan

I'm not normally a link person, but I wanted to post this because I thought it was really cool. I just thought it would rock as a place to LARP. I always seem to run into these places where I would love to LARP but are sort of a pipe dream like doing a whole LARP in a mansion in Newport, RI or an Old Castle with a king holding court on an actual throne. Anyone else found any cool places that would be a LARPer's dream to play in?

http://dornob.com/20-tree-house-pictures-play-club-plans-to-big-kid-houses/

Honestly, give me someplace with small, heated cabins far enough away from each other, running water, and showers.

That's what I'll call a good site. :mrgreen:

Neat link, though!

Wraith said:
Honestly, give me someplace with small, heated cabins far enough away from each other, running water, and showers.!
Add lights, electricity, and a full cafeteria-sized kitchen, and you just described every site we use in WA and OR.
Seriously, come out here. :p

Or to Alberta. We have that up here too!

There's actually a castle being built an hour north of Edmonton, as well, along with a medieval village...

There's a camp outside of Portland that would be an awesome site if they rented it out to groups. In addition to a good number of cabins, bathrooms and a nice meeting hall/dining center, they have covered wagons that each have several bunk beds and a tree house cabin.

obcidian_bandit said:
Wraith said:
Honestly, give me someplace with small, heated cabins far enough away from each other, running water, and showers.!
Add lights, electricity, and a full cafeteria-sized kitchen, and you just described every site we use in WA and OR.
Seriously, come out here. :p

I was out there a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it. Too bad it is 1k plus miles away!

After having spent several years (about 10) entertaining at the AZ Renaissance Fair in Apache Junction (about 40 miles east of Phoenix) and having had the opportunity to walk arounb the place outside of open hours during weather both cold and hot, I have often thought that this permanent site would be a great place to have a very very large LARP (the place can easily accomodate 50,000 people) with its shops and streets and private buildings. The only things that are missing are lodgings and ability to rent the place for private functions.

A medieval market town, I would think, would be a heck of an addition to the Faire Play site (maybe some day, eh?). Imagine being able to go into a real building which is the alchemists or potion maker's lab, scroll maker's workshop, blacksmith's forge, as well as a couple of taverns (one at each end of town), and places for IG sale of clothes, armor, weapons, supplies, etc -- complete with all of the props and acoutrements of the various trades and crafts found in a such a town.

Ondreij said:
A medieval market town, I would think, would be a heck of an addition to the Faire Play site (maybe some day, eh?). Imagine being able to go into a real building which is the alchemists or potion maker's lab, scroll maker's workshop, blacksmith's forge, as well as a couple of taverns (one at each end of town), and places for IG sale of clothes, armor, weapons, supplies, etc -- complete with all of the props and acoutrements of the various trades and crafts found in a such a town.

i totally and completely agree with you.

Not to mention that most of them aren't set up with plumbing, nor with any real place to stay, just three-sided shelters for buildings.

Ondreij said:
After having spent several years (about 10) entertaining at the AZ Renaissance Fair in Apache Junction (about 40 miles east of Phoenix) and having had the opportunity to walk arounb the place outside of open hours during weather both cold and hot, I have often thought that this permanent site would be a great place to have a very very large LARP (the place can easily accomodate 50,000 people) with its shops and streets and private buildings. The only things that are missing are lodgings and ability to rent the place for private functions.

I couldn't agree more. I've jokingly said many times that it's unfortunate that no rich people seem to LARP. Many people who volunteer at a LARP do so on a limited budget (and it's something I appreciate) but, man, wouldn't it be nice if we had like one person who loved the game just as much as the current volunteers but was independently wealthy. :lol:

There's a rock quarry near my house that would be so amazing for a mod!

It's more to me that no rich AMERICANS seem to play.

Biccoline's in Canada and has a site that would make us drool by comparison, though I think that given a lot of TLC, something like it might show up eventually in the USA. Faire Play's making an decent effort, though.

What amazes and amuses me is that a game can attract literally thousands of players in other countries. Heck, at one point pre-split I was at a 300-person NERO event. It seems to me that the only way to get a good site truly going is to have enough people putting money and time into it...or a smaller group putting a LOT of time into a site over years and years. We don't have the handy-dandy pre-made awesomeness of a European castle to work with, after all.

But since most LARPs even in a limited geographical area don't seem to want to (or won't) work together on site improvements they can share, those "dream sites" will remain few, far between, and distant if at all.

Talen said:
It's more to me that no rich AMERICANS seem to play.

Biccoline's in Canada and has a site that would make us drool by comparison, though I think that given a lot of TLC, something like it might show up eventually in the USA. Faire Play's making an decent effort, though.

What amazes and amuses me is that a game can attract literally thousands of players in other countries. Heck, at one point pre-split I was at a 300-person NERO event. It seems to me that the only way to get a good site truly going is to have enough people putting money and time into it...or a smaller group putting a LOT of time into a site over years and years. We don't have the handy-dandy pre-made awesomeness of a European castle to work with, after all.

But since most LARPs even in a limited geographical area don't seem to want to (or won't) work together on site improvements they can share, those "dream sites" will remain few, far between, and distant if at all.

I'd actually be curious as to what the average number of players at an Alliance event is, and how that's been trending over the last few years. See if it lines up with perception.

LRP is more accepted in other countries because a lot of its history is based in such genre's. In Norway, one in three people have participated in one type of LARP or another. Denmark grocery stores have LARP weapons for sale. There is a 6,000 attendee LARP that just finished in Germany.

I believe that you will see a steady incline in people attending LARPs though as it seems that it is beginning to come out into mainstream entertainment. There has been one general release movie about it, a second one starring Summer Glau is wrapping up shooting and such shows as The Colony on Discovery is literally just missing the foam weapons (they're using pepper spray and cattle prods ATM).

I'd say in another 5-10 years, it is possible that LARPing will begin to become a minor entertainment industry, the way that paintball is now. Might even have a LARPing channel on ESPN3 :)

Wraith said:
I'd actually be curious as to what the average number of players at an Alliance event is, and how that's been trending over the last few years. See if it lines up with perception.

If I'm reading it right, HQ swings around pretty widely. Last two years ranges from nearly 100 players to just under 40 the last few months, but averaging around 60-75ish.

I know games in the NJ area fall into that range- last LARP I was at in that part of town attendance was around 75 or so people, but there's certainly games that have about the same population for theirs around that same chunk of real estate- but you really can't go much lower than 30 or so players and still rent a decent site around here, IMHO.

Back