DRYADS! First Forest opinion questions!

KialdaLoa

Scholar
New Hampshire Staff
Hey all my fellow Children of Autumn!

I'm pretty new to this game, but I REALLY love it and am getting pretty into it, so I want to make sure I play my race well!

I've been thinking a lot about what our people think of the First Forest, and I've conjured up some opinion and clarification questions. Let me know what you think/how you play it!

The rulebook says something along the lines of how we consider every forest to be part of the original First Forest because we are not sure how things got split up since we went to sleep. (Someone could double check this exact wording if they want, I don’t currently have a copy of the book here…)

SO! Do we literally and truly believe that each forest is somehow a part of THE First Forest? Or do we just respect each part of the forest AS IF it were an extension of the First Forest?

Do we assert that every part of any forest we come across is THE First Forest? And if we DO, is it because we ACTUALLY believe such, or just because we want OTHERS (non-Dryads) to be confused about the real whereabouts of the First Forest?

How secret is the First Forest? Are we offended if someone from another race even mentions it? Are we in disbelief if someone from another race says they have been there? Or are we elated that someone else, no matter what race, has experienced the wonders of the First Forest? Would we ever allow a trusted friend to accompany us in a quest to look for The First Forest if they were of another race?

I can’t really think of any other specific questions, but take these thoughts and roll with them! What are your opinions on the First Forest, where it is, how we protect it, and the differences (if any) between what we truly believe about it and what we ACT like we believe about it in order to keep it more secret-or for any other reason you can think of, for that matter!

Yay for Children of Autumn! :D

Admin note: this thread was moved to the appropriate OOG forum.

anyway, my opinion is this... it's all a matter of your opinion. I guess it's possible to play your race badly, and still play your character well (ogre necromancer, etc.) but honestly, I'm ok with all of that in the spirit of good story and good character concepts. I'd formulate your own opinions about the first forest and play it however you'd like. I don't think there is a right answer to any of your questions. it's all a matter of interpretation.

Hey Susie, sent you a pm on this.

Oh, oops... I didn't realize that was an IG type of thread! I'm so sorry! Thanks for fixing that, Robb. And thanks for your input!

And yay, Kevin, thanks for the PM! I welcome all PMs on any sort of dryad topic!! I love discussing everything!! :D

(Oh, duh... I see the header now... haha sorry, what a noob mistake ^^; )

I say ya take all yer biata necromancer buddies there!

To the best of my understanding, all forests sprang from the First Forest, but the First Forest still exists and can be reached. All other forests are more or less descendants of the first forest, by way of seeds, pollen, etc traveling through portals. Or so I have gathered and surmised, the real truth might be weirder than we expect.

It appears that you can travel from realm to realm within the First Forest, as it may have exits that could lead you across the mists without traveling through the mists. Funky stuff, and over my character's head.
The elders can go there, and I have been there IG. (I play a human, and am teamed with the Alliance's first IG PC Dryad. He used to be an ogre, and is awesome)
I know First Forest is revered by the Dryads, but it does not seem as though there is any secrecy to it. (though I may be too close to this plotline to see it from the outside, YMMV) As far as shock that a Non dryad might have visited, or allowing a trusted friend to go with when you go?

Well, Grinnok and Willow let me and some others come with, so they didn't have a problem with it. But this sounds like something you'd want to decide for yourself, as part of your characters roleplay experience and background.
How do YOU feel about First Forest? How much do YOU trust these other people? Does the risk of bringing them exceed the reward of you and they being there?

No one should tell you how to play your character, and in this respect, it's really about how you feel on these issues. I'm not sure there's enough dryads in alliance yet to have come to a consensus on these issues.

Back