Dwarf without a beard

jpariury

Duke
The dwarf racial packet includes this line: "Dwarves that do not sport beards are often mocked and shunned by others, for a beardless Dwarf in their culture is a shamed Dwarf." It brings to mind a couple questions that I'm not necessarily looking for a gavel-thumping answer on, but more in the lines of just hearing peoples' thoughts.

Should players (both PC and NPC) be permitted to play a "shamed Dwarf" and be beardless? How would you go about visibly distinguishing one from a human?

Can a dwarf be bearded?

Like scalped but have their beard taken as a trophy in game. Not that I would do this I am just curious. Can a race have a racial trait cut from them in game. Like an elf's ear or a hoblings burns? I have seen characters carry monster heads as trophies so this thread just kinda sparked the idea.

To me a really evil villain would love a chance to not only hurt but to shame their opponent.

I think it would grow back fairly quickly...Like about 10 mins. I know in a chapter I play a MWEs horns were recently taken at the end of the event. The horns regrew by the next event but the PC added touches of black and blue makeup with an outline of red around the base of the horns sorta like they had erupted freshly and painfully. The effect looked pretty cool, satisfied the racial need for the prosthetic, and made it clear something had happened to her horns so many people asked and got to hear the story.

As a Dwarf or Hobling, you could have your beard come back fairly short, or thin, scraggly or even a different color which might spur others to ask questions and create a bit of role play around the event of having one's beard/sideburns/feathers cut off.

A flayed high ogre, high orc might choose a different shade of green/yellow, or have broken tusks or even thinner or shorter tusks to represent the recent loss of the old ones. I know one PC back in the day had his tusk rep broken by an accidental swing of a monsters claw. He created new ones and added some gray and gold to represent fillings at the following event.

Essentially, so long as you keep to the prosthetic/makeup restriction your in the clear. Have fun with it.

Paul

evi1r0n said:
Can a dwarf be bearded?

Like scalped but have their beard taken as a trophy in game. Not that I would do this I am just curious. Can a race have a racial trait cut from them in game. Like an elf's ear or a hoblings burns? I have seen characters carry monster heads as trophies so this thread just kinda sparked the idea.

To me a really evil villain would love a chance to not only hurt but to shame their opponent.
Most dwarves are bearded, you know. ;)

I guess you could say that you could, but then if the victim receives some Healing effect, it would "grow back". I mean, Healing would cause a chunk of flesh dangling off your arm to become whole, so why wouldn't a(n) [elf's ear, hobling's 'burns, biata's feathers, etc.], repair itself when they get Cure Light'd? And of course, resurrection would regenerate the body.

I've considered playing a future character that has an eyepatch that's just a dark elf ear on a string.

Gandian Ravenscroft said:

I guess you could say that you could, but then if the victim receives some Healing effect, it would "grow back". I mean, Healing would cause a chunk of flesh dangling off your arm to become whole, so why wouldn't a(n) [elf's ear, hobling's 'burns, biata's feathers, etc.], repair itself when they get Cure Light'd? And of course, resurrection would regenerate the body.

I've considered playing a future character that has an eyepatch that's just a dark elf ear on a string.

This sounds like a bit of a conundrum with hair cuts! Maybe if it was a burst of growth making the beard short, but there, and then slowly using longer beards later (or beard extension pieces?) would make sense of it though. As a dwarf is generally considered to be proud of his or her beard, I could see them using artificial sources to plump up a skimpy beard. That could spark some interesting RP too if they were looking to buy someone's hair...

Fynwei said:
As a dwarf is generally considered to be proud of his or her beard, I could see them using artificial sources to plump up a skimpy beard. That could spark some interesting RP too if they were looking to buy someone's hair...

Now don't be giving me ideas that my finances aren't going to be able to live up to! :lol:

Seattle once had a number of MWEs have their horns cut off, replacing the horn physreps with bloody stumps for the weekend. I don't see why that couldn't or shouldn't be allowed on some sort of limited basis (maybe using bald wigs on your chin, or a combination of latex and rigid collodion).

:lol: Couldn't come up with a good way to say beard-scalped.

evi1r0n said:
:lol: Couldn't come up with a good way to say beard-scalped.

Oddly enough, I totally understood his meaning in context! :lol:

Or maybe it's just that I've encountered a dwarf who had the injustice of having his beard removed in game has something to do with it...

I always liked the idea of a dwarves beard being tied to their spirit like biatas eyebrows. Hence why it may change ( player buys a new beard or etc). A dwarf who's being punished etc I could see being ritually (scarred) maybe to prevent beard growth. It'd be a cool challenge to play but you would want to physical Rep maybe rune scars like a henna tattoo over your beard. Talk to your local plot folks.

Kyle

Shaved isn't close enough to the brutality of being scalped. I am talking about the removal of hair and skin from the dwarf's face. We don't call a hair cut getting scalped. :funny:

evi1r0n said:
Shaved isn't close enough to the brutality of being scalped. I am talking about the removal of hair and skin from the dwarf's face. We don't call a hair cut getting scalped. :funny:

Yeah. Maybe with massive scarring and a few random tufts of hair from the lips down the neck to show that, but it'd be brutal-looking.

The best and most efficient way to get a good dwarf beard trophy is to perm them first. Then braid them and wear them over your shoulder like Boba Fett wore wookie scalps.

Not that my dark elf character has ever done that...

Scott

This is definitely one of those moments where I wish the 'like' button existed on our forums. Cus I would've pushed it like 20 times on Scott's post. :)

-Ali

Scott ,

You disturb me sir. Well done.

Aggravain said:
Scott ,

You disturb me sir. Well done.

My dark elf character also never convinced any high ogres to kill dwarves by stating that they were "bearded goblins". Just thought I'd clear that up...

Scott

Much appreciated Scott I can see where could be confusion there. (Incoherent grumbling and veiled cussing) I did hear dark eleven skin makes for good boot leather.

Naw, tends to be too soft. :)

It doesnt need dye though so thats nice.

Back