Earth Scholar loadout at HQ

John

Artisan
My wife has been blanketing for since I started and has yet to play. She will be out for the first time this fall. She will be an Earth scholar. As a scholar, would you column or pyramid to your first 9? And. How would you load it out? Any info will help.

There's no real definitive answer, it all comes down to what you want to get out of the character. If the goal is to get the most powerful spells right away, column is the way to go. If you're looking for more utility, wide pyramids give you more flexibility. If this is going to be her first time PCing I'd probably go pyramid, as she'll have more spells to play with. It's not much fun using all your spells early and then potentially spending hours with no skills beyond the ability to read or stabilize players. She would also be able to take advantage of the first-time player character rewrite after the first game, which means she can rebuild the character from the ground up if she doesn't like how she built it. This is only available after the first game a PLAYER PCs.

My girlfriend is also starting as an Earth Scholar this season. My advice to her (from Bobby) was to use a bow. Just because she's a low level, and if she does eventually run out spells (which will happen at low levels) she'll at least have something to do besides dragging bodies off the field and stabilizing them. (Staff, OHB, and Bow ((for Elves)) are the cheapest weapons a Scholar can pick up) But its entirely on how she wants to play her PC.

Toddo: I wasn't so much looking for a "best load out" type of thing just a basic guideline on how a HQ healer does their load out.

The build I planned out has her with a staff to defend her self and for when she runs out of spells. She is playing a human so Archery is a little pricey but I will see how she feels about it.

Load out suggestions also respond to how many spells and of what level she has available.

If you only have up to 6th level spells available, suggestions may be different then if you have a full 4 block available.

Also, the playstyle will also determine your selection. You said "earth scholar" and not "healer specifically" which brings up the fact that earth scholars are not "just" healers. They have a variety of debuff attack options via binding, curses, commands, and death spells that can be used as front line support or even all out attack magic. Or you can focus solely on healing an protective and be a full "support backline healer" type. Or mix.

Loadout will vary from player to player based off of taste and playstyle.

I, for example, mix healing and protective spells with a smattering of curses, binding, and a few spells to specifically destroy undead.

Fan favorite lower level spells are disarm, repel, bind, and the ever popular magic armor. Bind and pins also are quite useful. As you get higher Cure Serious is a workhorse until you have access to much higher level healing.

I wish her luck and will also point out the following. You get to choose new spells every single day. So another great way for her to find out is to actually ask this question casters who are doing things she also wants to do.

Good luck!

Pantzike hit the nail on the head. Earth scholar loadouts will vary SIGNIFICANTLY based on playstyle and column size.

However, if she is just starting and wants to play a healer it is hard to recommend AGAINST filling up on healing spells and protectives.

Just make sure she takes SOME offense. She may need to use her spells to defend herself once or twice a day. Dedicating 3-5 spells as "OMGGETOUTOFMYFACE" maneuvers will never be a bad thing.

Also.. learn to love Magic armor. It is the best healing spell in the game if used correctly. No questions.

Lvl 7 pyramid and all the prereq, staff, thrown, 3 create potion and 4 craftsman.

I was thinking:
Charm
2x Cure Crit
2x Spell Shield, Web
2x CSW, Shun
3x Bind, 2x Weakness
3x CW, 3x MA
5x CLW, Cure Disease, Disarm

Back