Establishing a Spirit Road Connection

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Settlers of Atupal,

Word has reached me that your community has found itself in the possession of a large, unified piece of Moridium. Moridium’s magical potential primarily pertains to long-distance travel, and the chunk you possess sounds to be large and pure enough to be suitable material fuel for establishing another connection to the Spirit Road!

The Spirit Road - pioneered by myself over the last many years; you’re welcome - is an extrapolation of the Spirit Walk ritual, establishing a stable connection between certain Circles of Power to allow repeated travel between them. With the stored power of the Moridium, simply step into your Circle, activate the Spirit Road, and be whisked away to your destination linked Circle. Truly, a marvel of modern magic; again, you’re welcome.

It does have its limitations. At this point, there are a handful of Circles in each Duchy that are linked along the Spirit Road, with these being the only Circles that can be reached using the Road’s power. It can’t get you to any random Circle or anywhere in the wild countryside you might be headed, but it can at least get you close enough to most desirable destinations that a trek on foot from there won’t be too terrible. Very specific, remote, or otherwise out-of-the-way places might require an alternative means of getting there, but that’s what things like normal Spirit Walks or Marches of the Untiring or horses or good old-fashioned walking are for. It also doesn’t work well with freight, so don’t expect to move crates of goods or livestock or anything like that; it’s best suited to small to medium-sized groups of people and their trappings. More than that starts to risk damage to the Road, and nobody wants that. Even with normal traveling groups, a Circle’s connection to the Spirit Road occasionally needs to recharge and might not be fully accessible for travel during that period, but it’s never that much of an inconvenience; just give it a little time and it will be back up in working order without any effort. Its benefits definitely outweigh its limitations, that’s for certain.

I make a point of only establishing connections into the Spirit Road on “reputable” and defensible Circles. Suffice it to say, your Circle won’t become a security risk of monsters suddenly Spirit Walking into your town once connected to the Spirit Road. “Compromised” Circles - such as a couple in Passwall, unfortunately - can be severed from the Road if absolutely necessary, though. I’d rather shut down a branch of the Spirit Road than have undead suddenly popping up in Circles all across Gavaria.

All of that said, I think it would be a marvelous idea to use your otherwise-paperweight of Moridium to catalyze the establishment of a Spirit Road Circle in Atupal, and I’m certain you would agree. I will plan to arrive with the proper materials on my end early on when your community next convenes, you supply the Moridium, and we can pave the newest avenue of the Spirit Road together.

- August Mack, the Itinerant
Royal Court Wizard of Rosen

Back