EVENT REVIEW: The Lux and the Forest (April 2018)

Krow

REMINDER: IBGA'S ARE DUE SUNDAY APRIL 22nd

**NPCs - Do not post here. Let us know if you had any highlights or concerns in the NPC FB group. Thanks! **

1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character
5. Give us some ideas on how to make the Lux feel more "vibrant".

Posting rules, respect everyone's views, no debates. Everyone sees things differently.
Reviews get you 15 Goblin Stamps, so make sure you tag your review with your name.

One of two of my fave moments was ranking up in the Earth Weavers guild and the second was being given the opportunity to do a resurrection...oh and yes and attempting to take on Stig while i was under a Berserk effect (not recommended)
Can't very much say what the least was as Plot did their best with the available play area we had
Hard to say since this is the first "summer" weekend
Asked if Castryn saw a Squirrel with a long sword
Castryn: No? (quizzically)
Asker :There's one (points to on top of wood shed)
Castyrn: Bwahahahahahaha (sees squirrel holding on to the handle of longsword)
Will answer that next month

It was all quite good, for the first event with a new plot team and loss of atleast half the property, the paceing went well and it seemed there was usually something going on. It was just unfortunate that there was one really 1 mod/lair/encounter going at a time but again I know there was very limited areas to use.
Im just really happy to have gotten out after not being able to all winter and shake the cob webs. I can only remember 1 screw up/forgetting things but that was Sunday with Cory and he could see the hamster running the wheel so he gave me a quick rememinder of my protectives, thanks dude.

Really only had 1 but I addressed it to a few plot members after game already and I'm happy with the char we had so no need for me to whine about it here :)

For a big city it would be nice to see more "random" folks out and about... other then just nick and Randy. Yes I know others came out but saw those 2 more so. Again I know space and Npc numbers hindered this game so this is more of a notice of mine not complaining, y'all did what you could with what you had.
Rolling with what pcs do. Sometimes (now and previous events) things/story seem alittle to linear. And a bit more RP in situations from npcs that are just crunchies/fodder. Sometimes a lowly goblin is just as fearless as a giant??? Npc players have no fear of death...doesnt mean the Npc character has to.

Character? Kind of want to keep that to myself right now...but
Scott's head - *curse? Damn it what group is curse? What protects against that?*
Cory - "psst. Have a spell shield?"
Scott - ... 8/ ... "damn it. Spell shield"

........ I'll wait till we can see more of the ground in the Luxx to suggest anything

I really enjoyed the fact that the outfitters are being recognized more. I had a few people talk to me because I was an outfitter, not just because I was a blacksmith. And plot has started to remember we are a guild as well :)

In game, getting my hammer stolen, cause I could not think of anyone who would have wanted to steal from me.

Out of game, not seeing any outfitter badges on npc's, it makes it hard to know who is an outfitter, like the grandmaster, (thank you Jason for always oog letting us know that we recognized you as such)

I really liked how the players worked together. We were talking and sharing information and including people outside of the guilds. Keep it up. (Apparently telling the players to keep what you can for your guild is a great way to get us to work together)

"There are rooms under the Hammer Outfitters guild hall that we would like for you to explore" the grandmaster informed the small group as we were walking through the Lux.
"If we are going beneath the guild hall, I wonder if you are going to go past my forge, as that is also under the guild hall" I wonder out loud.
We shortly entered my forge and the scowl on the grandmasters face grew more noticeable.
"This door appeared here about a month ago" he says pointing to a spot in the wall.
"Wait, what!?" I say confused. "I have been in this room every day for the past two weeks, how have I not seen this door?"

With limited people I do not know how this can be achieved, also I have no idea where we are in the city, is it out of the way near the edge so lots of people coming through is not as big of an thing or are we closer to the middle.

With limited people I do not know how this can be achieved, also I have no idea where we are in the city, is it out of the way near the edge so lots of people coming through is not as big of an thing or are we closer to the middle.
I am working on a Map of the Lux proper and Brightmoor. If I can ever find the time. ;)

The personal rp I got with Evo this weekend was great, it helps let more of jinn's back story out and had him decide on one of the paths he was planning on, and declining another path he was planning. Also threatening nick's character was a lot of fun. Any intense role play i get to do i really enjoy, and I really just do enjoy threatening Nick

I enjoyed how confusing it was at the lux, especially with the Sunday morning fight. Having random civilians in the mix made it feel more like a crowded market place or town square and meant we had to be vigilant on who we were attacking and who we were defending. What is our role here, what are we supposed to be doing, it leads to great rp and just fun times.

The sense of danger was real! It hit first thing Friday night and really set the pace for the weekend.

The Sanctum starting with story on Friday was nice as well, it helped me get right into character and gave me things to focus on for the weekend.

having civilians popcorn but still looking the same got a bit confusing, I had to ask what do i see a few times Friday night. Sending them out with a hat or another shirt in their back pocket would help make them look like new civilians.

Players not sharing information, more well known stuff like who specific people are or what area's are. Light story stuff could be shared by players more. It just made it harder to play when Jinn doesn't know what the lux was or who many of the nobles were. He didn't know who the main bad guys were until his 4th event. Remember that some of us haven't been around that long and it helps us get into the story more.

civilians in fights, role play chances with NPC's, danger,

Jinn sat quietly in the circle of power, watching his friend Elwind's ability's were stripped from his mind. Listening to Master Isawda as he guided Elwind's mind through this ritual was comforting and he could only hope his friend felt the same. As it came to a close, Jinn was surprised that there was no interpretive dance, assuming that it must just be a Celestial thing, but a new respect for Isawda had grown within him. He had never had the chance to see him preform much magic, but was in awe of his power and skill. Jinn stood up and gripped his hilt tightly as now it was his job to protect Elwind as they left the cabin, until his friend could restore and fully understand his new ability's.

the extra costuming with the NPC's i said above, speakers in the town square or tavern with just back ground noise. If we have extra npc's some coming out as just townsfolk (with NPC's remembering that not everyone is evil)

1. Post your favorite moments.

All the interpersonal RP was really cool. I also liked that there was just more guild stuff happening around the place, and how someone finally figured out that having a circle near the fire might not be a terrible thing on behalf of those less aggressive folks among us. Provided they could contend with a handful of chickens at least.

There was a brief period where I was starting to get bored. This would have been insta mod or wild run oclock for me. Shame about all the snow. Maybe next time Cory can have a word with the weatherman about his conduct.

3. What you would like to see more of.

What we've been getting. Obviously the snow will clear up and that will open up more space for mods and lairs and whatnot so that will happen on its own. I agree it was kinda cool to be reminded we do have civilians around and not everybody strolling by was a merchant or a bandit. Granted we would see the odd townie before, but usually just the omes that needed a snack a smoke or a moment by the fire.

Plus I was beginning to see how the world was responding to my actions, if in a minor and subtle way. That's incredibly cool too.

4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character.

He watched Jinn storm towards the hunter with blade in hand. Having adventured with the Wood Elf for as long as he had, it was evident that trouble was soon to be afoot, as the manic light in his eyes was different from the usual eccentricities they had grown accustomed to. He inched his way around the fire, settling in position behind his friend, and bashed him in the head.

After a moment, he realized he should probably put him on a bench by the fire at least.

5. Give us some ideas on how to make the Lux feel more "vibrant"

Market stalls and scene setters maybe? The snow gets in the way of that anyhow.

~Marty

- The Players were amazing! They pulled me into the community and made me part of as many things as possible with little thought of rank or (Level). I particularly liked the explosion, and my sisters life spell, boom 4 characters in there death counts 6 pc's with all their gear destroyed it was a wake up call and an amazing mechanic. The unicorn and the story hints, so much potential. The creepy necromancer that was too sweet to hate like we should.

The blend of OOG/IG especially around the fire was a bit hard to take. I didn't want to avoid it entirely as I'm trying to acclimate but i saw it reflected in my own RP in the number of times i droped out of character. outside the fire this was commonly seen in players going OOC to inform me of rules many of which I knew of and some of which could have been done IG. I know it was due to site restrictions but the game was a bit slow Saturday morning. I really appreciated the rate it picked up Saturday evening.

People calling holds, this seemed a bit over used. Particularly when people were calling holds for others. By the end I was afraid to take a thematic fall for fear of causing a hold and interrupting everyones game.

Events in town, things outside the mod area. The unicorn, the well established NPC's, my new friends in the lux.

I found a sister in this new town family is such a comfort. and her introduction to The Unicorn gives me so much hope for the miraculous growth of forest around this island of stone. I must explore this Forest perhaps it will lead me back to the One.

I think you're are doing very well on this front I'd make sure you keep up the numbers of none consequential NPC's, NPC's that don't have a purpose but clutter up the town, a common occurrence. The baker possibly the odd NPC merchant or trader trying to scoop local merchant business. Dedicating a few NPC hrs, almost break times to this could be a big improvement.

I forgot to add the 2 npcs that rezed! We exist in a world where Resurrection is possible and we are living in a giant city where the circle that we are close to is where almost everybody will rez. It makes sense that 1) people we kill would resurrect there and 2) if they are trying to **** with us and they can identify who did it they're going to engage our local police force to waste everybody's time and possibly resources. Or if they are innocent and can identify the person they totally would. It adds to the threat and slows down the murder hobo in all of us. I want to see more of that!

1. Strange to be a favourite, but I really enjoyed that Evo was able to successfully delegate missions this time. My personal goal going in was to keep more information flowing from the top down, and empower other leaders to take whatever steps were needed to meet our objectives. It freed me up to be available to answer questions and RP, and freed up a slot on mods to get more people out and active.

2. Like I mentioned in the wrap-up, I wish we had more of an immersive setting, and I'm kind of at a loss on how to make the world more real. I'll try to come up with some suggestions for #5 below. Part of it is that we are "new" to the Lux and the situation, so we should be learning and getting acclimated along with our characters. It does not work, however, to have invisible things that can affect us but which we don't have awareness of or influence over. The advantage of a tabletop game is a 100% available "always-on" storyteller to describe the environment and play off of the PCs' actions and interests. We don't get to do that in LARP; it is, in fact, a hybrid of traditional "curated" storytelling and cooperative storytelling. But if all players are to help tell the story, we absolutely must be using the same setting. And while we as players can *help* tell the story, it goes off the rails if we run with a story which should involve the environment or NPCs when Plot is not available. We largely have to focus on other PCs to avoid making up too much.

3. Looking forward to having more acreage to play in! Also would love to see more recurring NPCs who can help us get a clearer sense of the setting and doily goings-on. If only we had the budget and people for a 1:1 PC to NPC ratio!

4. Evo stares at the paper in his hands. "What happened? Why am I here?" His companions make similar complaints as small creatures float in the air nearby. He looks at the last, hastily scrawled entry in his journal: YOU HAVE WHAT YOU NEED! GET OUT NOW. "It's time to go! Follow me!" He takes a few steps before his mind goes blank again.

5. We need guidance on how to interact with the setting. If we as players are indeed cooperative storytellers, we must have a familiarity with the world we play in. First, we should all have read the World Guide, and our racial and guild packages. This is our basic sourcebook which will help us place our stories in context. But beyond that, perhaps a written guide to our immediate surrounds would be helpful? Essentially, just what would be visible and obvious to anyone who takes the time to look around. Politics, current events, and anything beyond the names of key figures would not be available, since that gets into FOIG territory. But landmarks, approximate populations, demographics, and such would be really helpful, as well as more guidance on how we should interact with that "invisible" world (e.g. if you are in the Commons area, your actions are public and witnessed by dozens). Another thing which would help is the expansion of props and signs which indicate some of those landmarks; from easy things like giving the cabins addresses or placards, to more complex things like facades or street signs or other hints at the daily lives around us.

There were a few!
~Practicing my trap disarming skills with Johm
~Hearing some rather interesting information about the HomeGuard that is currently stationed at the Lux.
~Having a moment to reflect on those that she has lost so far. (Thanks Elderon for a getting me all misty-eyed there with your singing.)
~Going on the run with Garrdian to retrieve the armor. Then having things blown up. That was fun :D
~I also agree with Josh in regards to the sense of danger this event. There were a couple of moments where I was legit thinking that we were in serious trouble.
- The fighting! Oh the fighting was fun this event. Keep it up!
- The pace for me this event was really good. I wasn't too bored, I had something to do.
- I like seeing alot of players interacting this month in regards to information being shared. Especailly between the guilds.I think Evo did a great job of delegating certain tasks and keeping the lines of communication open. Xamot did some great leadership within the Home Guard and taking charge of what's going on.
-The creation of the Silver Rose. These ladies I have worked with on an individual basis, but never in a group setting. I really am excited to see what this season holds for our group.

Moreso for myself, but I need to get my ledgerdemain kit back from someone.

Obstacle courses! Cause sliding down in the snow is fun; I really liked that run.

There's two!

After her run with the HomeGuard, Arlyne takes a seat by the fire. She notices a new face and quips, "Kitty!"
The Sarr's steely gaze narrows and asks, "Excuse me?"
Without hesitation, she repeats, "Kitty!....?"
Time for her felt like it slowed quite considerabley as she hears a few gasps escape from the group present.
"It was nice knowing you, Arlyne!" She hears as she looks around, inquisitively
"IT's FARR'SHEN!" One hissed.
Her eyes widen in sheer terror as she realized who he is and immediately stands up and bows.
"Marshal Farr'shen!....My...my apologies!"
His voice raises and says sternly, "Give me 10 laps. And a coffee."
Arlyne exhales, relieved that he didn't obliterate her on the spot.
"Yes, Farr'Shen!" She says as she starts her lap, "It wont happen again."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

She backs up with her group, making sure that everyone is safe, her gaze wary. One of the bandits yelled, "Yah you BETTER RUN!!!"

Arlyne couldn't take it anymore. She was cold, pissed and frustrated. Not being able to take down the Pantherghast was the icing on the cake.

"FAWK YOOOOOOOOU!" She yells back.

"Arlyne! Come on, lets go!" One of her team member says as they trudge up the hill. Arlyne sighs.

"Fine. Next time I guess."

Daen pretty much summed up what I was going to say as well. I like the idea of having merchant stores up and such. I think we got a little spoiled from our Last event with the merchant area setup xD

1. Favourite moments

Dirk McHardabs trying to pronounce his own name.

Things not being immediately given to heads of guilds. Because they were not around, I felt I was doing more RP then normal; which is something I need to work on.

2.While you did great with the limitation of space I would have liked to see a little more combat and or traps. Normally I jump on a Wyld hunters, do a wild run and end up in the dark reaches.

3. Covered in 2

4. After having just cralwed under a long patch of barbed wire, trying to reach the cries of help the group comes across a locked door. Having the experience of picking locks and looking for traps I noticed right away that it looked to be alarmed so if the lock was forcefully removed an alarm would sound or worse, explode.

I hear from behind me "We can shatter the lock, and be in there in a couple seconds."

I speak up sayin"No. It looks like there is an alarm attached to the door. If we shatter the lock we might set it off. If we can get in quietly we might be able to dispatch of the guards without calling more in emediately." So I set to work picking the lock. After pulling it off the door it think to myself, "you know, I might as well keep this since I took the time to remove it." Pocketing the lock I gently open the door and peer inside.

5. The atmosphere could use a little boost. If you used the town sounds you had in May last year while we were in the capital, it would lend a bit of atmosphere to remind us we are in a metropolis and not at an outpost away from civilization.

Awesome event, as always

-Remembering my defenses (most of them)
-Eating breakfast Sunday morning, then all the PCs leave, with 2 NPCs in the tavern, thinking "This won't end well." Not disappointed...
-getting schooled in trap disarming
-dealing with murder accusations against PCs

-slipping in the wet snow in the lair. You must fix this. I demand no snow next game!

-more play area (should take care of itself when weather improves)
-mods running in the town area

After fighting some spiders and having our weapons destroyed. Finding no loot, but there is a large pit full of slime...
Kantor: It doesn't seem to affect wood... I'll poke my long bow down there and see if I find anything.
Marshal: Nope. Is that all you do?
Kantor: *looking down* *sigh*
another PC: come on... you only live once!
Kantor: what the hell. *strips off most gear... offers end of longbow to Thistle* hold this and pull me out if its too deep
*jumps into hole to search, finds some loots, comes back up*
Marshal: That pops your poison shield. Do you have another one for the Hallucinate?
Kantor: ye... uh, no! *comes back up, sees Thistle* Mom! you saved me!
*opens arms to hug her, covered in muck and still wearing his chain mail*
Thistle: *runs off screaming*

-more NPCs in town.
-more events in town

Back