Fake Leather Goods

Jessica

Hello all!

Do any of you know of a place to get fake leather costuming, armour, etc.? I've found so many places advertising their quality leather replicas, but we specifically need fake leather here. Any advice would be appreciated, it would cost an arm and a leg and a first-born son to get a tailor to make the things we need custom.

Cheers,

Jessica

Hey,

Would you be looking for a suede or similar fabric, or latex? I can dig through my contacts for a place that makes some really epic looking latex-based armor if you think that would fit the bill..let me know and i'll track the information down :)

-James aka Strago

It can be anything that can reasonably replicate leather goods and armour, the main thing is that it's not made of animal parts. I really haven't found anything but I'd like to be able to refer players to some sources, so if you know of anywhere that sells such things, that would be awesome.

Hey,

I have ordered a custom sword through the below group (Artyfakes), and they are great at making very epic armor; if you're looking for something to mimic leather but not actually be leather, they might be able to help; I am likely going to be offering some of their items at my storefront as well, though it might be awhile before I do.

http://www.artyfakes.co.uk

I will also try and look for other places that offer this, but for now at least that's a start...hope it was helpful!

-James aka Strago

Thanks so much! I appreciate the effort :)

A couple years ago I contacted a bunch of leather armor makers about working with fake leather. None of them would. If you do find something please let us know where!

David (Dreamingfurther) on these boards has done some wonderful things with the material he uses which is a thick, flexible plasticy type stuff which he then covers with pleather. I don't really know the details of the process but I know he does take orders for weapons so you might want to PM him about it. I don't know if he would be willing to take orders for this but he might be able to lead you in the right direction.

I dont know if this helps you but.....If you sew heavy apolestry fabric sew it to naugahide it is as stiff as 7oz leather. If you do it and french seem the edge it will have a stiff edge like 9oz leather. Lastly if you sandwich Heavy pellon on the middle the whole thing will be like 9oz leather. 1/2" Studs every 3/8" spacing will do the same. If you are wishing ti do this send me a picture of what you want it to look like, as well as body measurements and I will make you a pattern. And then I will send you a pattern with instructions.
I use to do this a lot when I had my own costume business. It is the only way I know to avoid the horrible boarder taxes.

Sincerely
heidi hooper

Back