fighter practice or game day?

I was considering having a fighter practice this weekend, but there's Mother's Day stuff going on with a number of folks. We're looking at the next event right now and figuring out a game day that works storywise between now and then.

jpariury said:
We're looking at the next event right now and figuring out a game day that works storywise between now and then.

that would be good, we have a few people who want to try it but are currently only willing to try a game day, so if we can get them hooked then, we can bring them to the weekend event!

A gameday between now and the event in June would be awesome. I too know some people who would want to try it out before committing.

so how does a fighter practice work? do we just run through how combat works and don't do any roleplay?
and do we do anything with spells and stuff or is it just wacking people with sticks?

Basically we meet at my place; it's entirely out-of-game. I run people through some stick drills to get them used to a few basic techniques like footwork and throwing shots, then we pair up and practice a few "attack-block-counterattack" stuff. Then we can pair up for one-on-one practice, or if there's interest get bigger groups (three-on-three, etc.). Lately at home we've introduced a few spell packet type things, nothing formal - just pin or damage to get people used to dealing with packets and sticks at the same time, but we'll more or less work on whatever people decide is important to them.

I'll be up in Tacoma visiting family, so I can't make this one.

So, the weather is slated to be high of 57F, with a 70% chance of rain (as a comparison, today is supposed to be 80% chance of rain, and we had a thirty-minute downpour with drizzle throughout the day). My backyard might be a little muddy after we all whap each other for a few hours, so we may move the practice to one of the nearby parks where they have lovely covered areas with concrete floors, we'll see.

If the weather keeps you away, no worries, we understand. If you show up, though, we'll smack each other about, and worst case - do some prop repairs and such.

If we get rained out, I can do a "build-a-boffer" clinic if there's interest and people bring their materials. (For those that don't know, I'm a marshal and literally wrote the "how to build a basic weapon" part of the rule book.)
Matt

Hey new player here I'm in Portland an am wanting to attend the June event would like too attend a game day first to get a feel for some of the othet players/characters
If anything a fighter practice would be great an I could go over sum weapon specs with a marshal or someone of that matter for I have severally well made weapons but not sure if they qualify under alliance rules because most of them were just made for regular boffers fights an there for rules a a lil more lax due to it being a bunch of random friends in a backups haha also I'm sure its come up but not sure if its in the rulebook but what's the alliance standpoint on siege weaponry ? Catapult trebushay balista ect ...

There was 3 of us that showed up. It was fun and I learned something about staffs. The are more difficult to use than I first thought. But I will get used to it the more I use it.

Kevin

Back