First Char. Creation(Wyldekin)

Hello i am trying to Figure out what to create for my first char. I was thinking a bear Wyldekin, Class Artisan/Alchemist.
This is the first larp of this type i have played though i have 4 years of Vampir story telling Larp,12 years of Vampire LARP altogether, and 18 years of DnD Table top. so anyone that wants to give there input will be welcome. Good Ideas or Bad Idea.

One suggestion I might make is if you are intending to only do alchemy you'd be better off to do it as a rogue. Your alchemy costs will be the same, but you'd have a higher amount of armor allowed, more body points down the road, and cheaper costs on some other key rogue skills if you decided to pick up some other combat skills. Artisan is really only a good way to go if you intend to do two or more production skills such as alchemy and blacksmithing.

I was thinking of having more prodution skills Just don't have points yet to buy them. I am planning on having Blacksmith, teacher,and several craft abilitys to the char.

Welcome to alliance.

Artisan is cool if you want multiple production schools but htats really it. This is usually a pretty combat intensive game so the limited/expensive combat skills for artisans can make it less fun at time. That said some people just don't want to fight much and are happy sitting back and RPing but be wraned there will be times that the INN is attacked or every one is going on a mod and there's no one left to RP with but thats usually pretty rare.

On your race choice alchemy and poition making require read/write, create scroll requires read write and read magic, those skills are double cost for wyldekin so you might be better of with an elf or human or gypsy if any of those are interesting. Of course if you love the concept the points don't really matter that much. Also wyldekin have hefty make up requirements so you should make sure you are willing to do that before devoting yourself, some people love the full face make-up but it can be a pain.

Darksaber70 said:
I was thinking of having more prodution skills Just don't have points yet to buy them. I am planning on having Blacksmith, teacher,and several craft abilitys to the char.

With this ruleset, you don't have to decide upon a class really. If you want to up your alchemy first, I'd suggest going with the Rogue as mentioned to help with the body points. Then, if you add in scrolls and/or potions after that, you can move over to the Adept. When you're ready for blacksmithing, you could then jump to the Artisan.

In this game, you can be whatever 'class' you want at the beginning of the game as long as you don't remove any skills when switching. So just see which is best for the totals of points you put out there and adjust accordingly. I play an artisan myself but I don't often go off on the modules with the other players. It leads to a lot of 'downtime' for me but I find ways to keep myself busy.

Greetings from a fellow Wylderkin! (Fox Wylderkin)

As a Wylderking you are given the choice of two Racial skills.

Some choose these skills based on a particular class (like choosing Racial Dodge and Resist Poison if you plan on playing a Rogue)
Others choose skills based on their animal type (like playing a Donkey Wylderking and having the skills Break Command and Resist Command since donkeys are known to be stubborn)

In choosing an animal, I would go onto Wikipedia and research an animal you wish to use and see how it acts, how it thinks, who its enemies in the wild are, etc.

You should consider getting your local chapter's race packet for the Wylderkin as this offers some nice local history.

As for a class that uses Alchemy, I would go with Rogue if you want to be out in the field battling or an Artisan if your character plans to just create alchemy potions and sell them to others without much battle encounters.

Hope this helps,

Jim

kitsune85 said:
Others choose skills based on their animal type (like playing a Donkey Wylderking and having the skills Break Command and Resist Command since donkeys are known to be stubborn)

Hey that's actually awesome! I totally hadn't been able to think of a Wylderkin that would get Break and/or Resist Command but that definitely makes sense. :)

I would also recommend taking into account what kind of climate you would want to play the character in.

A Bear kin in july is not quite so fun, depending on the costuming. Often times 'kin' seem to be more of a spring/fall type character, unless you are very heat tolerant.

I play a Sarr and a coyote. The Sarr I can get away with in summer more than the coyote.

-Ali

I still can't belive that Mike Engler was able to get Gypsy curse for his Raven-Kin.

Wish i could have heard the explanation behind that. Must have been awesome. But even funnier, I'd also laugh if he got Gypsy curse for his Vulture-kin named Gyps. Cuz...Ya know...Its in the name and stuff...Oh forget it.

As for the Sun...@#$% you Sun. Dark Elf all year long.

Theo Zhounil said:
I still can't belive that Mike Engler was able to get Gypsy curse for his Raven-Kin.

Wish i could have heard the explanation behind that. Must have been awesome.

Has to do with the traditional mythology of the Raven as a trickster... I'm sure he'll chime in here though!

Lol, everything I never knew, I learned at Alliance.

That should be my own personal slogan.

Or "Everything i didn't know, i learned after 5 minutes smoking out-of-game with Mike Engler"

Fearless Leader said:
Theo Zhounil said:

Wish i could have heard the explanation behind that. Must have been awesome.

Has to do with the traditional mythology of the Raven as a trickster... I'm sure he'll chime in here though!
Absolutley the Raven is a Trickster archetype in world mythology. He plays tricks on people to teach them a lesson, which is the exact reason Gypsies curse people. TADA! MaDCap has Gypsy Curse.

Coyote is also a Trickster archetype, but he gets caught up in his own tricks. Think Wile E. Coyote.
Theo Zhounil said:
But even funnier, I'd also laugh if he got Gypsy curse for his Vulture-kin named Gyps.
Gypsy has a soft G. Gyps (my vulture-kin) has a hard G. Big difference.
Theo Zhounil said:
As for the Sun...@#$% you Sun. Dark Elf all year long.
Sounds like Oasi to me. At least we live in the desert and can flip-off the sun on a daily basis. We don't hide in our little underground cities. :p

Yea whatever, I gotta say I play a Dark Elf all the year long and you just deal. Also I've come up with lighter and lighter costume clothing (that includes pants... -_-) to be more comfortable in the sun. But that said I'll wear my heavy black cloak in the full sun to "keep off" the sun in character. Believe me I'm looking forward to getting a Cloak of Darkness... :D

...you're going to wear pants?! woah... ;)

Don't forget, Darksaber, you can do a little rewrite after your first event!

Say you go Rogue (human, just to be basic and boring, I know), and with three back-blankets (because you donated some food to NPC camp and maybe some packets or costuming) you have 25 build to start. Or maybe you NPCed. Anyway. 25 build.

You purchase Read/Write (6 build), Herbal Lore (3 build), and three levels of Alchemy (9 build total). You throw in One Handed Edge (for 5 build) and a craftsman skill (for 2 build).

You can take your 2.2 silver (1.2 silver as your 'welcome to the world' gift from Logistics, and one silver for your Craftsman skill) and use your production points to make some elixers. Maybe you batch it. Off you go! You play the weekend.

Now say you weren't a big fan of melee combat, or find out that it's harder to be sneaky and rogue-y than you thought. You can change to Artisan at the Friday logistics of your next event, dropping OHE and gaining levels of alchemy and maybe Merchant.

Or you decide that you love combat (and are good at being sneaky) but throwing gas is too expensive, so you keep everything the same but plan to start buying Back Attacks and Backstabs instead of more levels of Alchemy.

Or you REALLY loved combat, switch to fighter, drop everything but OHE, pick up Shield, or Florentine (and maybe Two Weapon).

Like Marcus brought up, you can always 'fluid class' from one class to another, because class is OOG. You just have to be patient and save the build points to do it, because you can't drop any skills, but must be able to pay for them under the new class you're changing to. You can do that at any time, the free rewrite only applies to the FIRST character you create, and can ONLY be done while logisting for your second game.

an example of Fluid Classing: that 25 build that was spent to make you a rogue? As a fighter those same skills would cost 35 build. So if you decided to fluid class from Rogue to Fighter with just those skills, you would have to save up 10 build to do so.
If you wanted to Fluid Class to Artisan with those skills, it would've cost you 24 build, so you're in the clear. Keep in mind, buying Weapon Proficiencies or Backstabs (at 30 build apiece) would be prohibitively expensive and you'd be swinging 2's for a very long time.

My vote is that you NPC a time or two (or three, or 30, like I have... it's ADDICTIVE!) and learn a little about the system, and how a character grows within the Alliance world before you PC. Even NPCing once will give you an idea of the skill differences between classes so you can find what suits you better. Trying on different levels of costuming is always nice, too, so you don't design yourself into a costume you find uncomfortable for the changing weather.

I am Going to NPC at least this next event, I can only make it on Sat. but the next event i think i shold be able to make it to almost all of the event.

And in case no one has mentioned it ask for your local chapters Race Packet concerning Scavengers/Wylderkin as they may have a culture based around the type of kin you want to play.

As it happens Ohio has a section in their wylderkin packet on the Ursians (Bear Kin) and their home city of Gari... if you are NPCing ask Logistics for what you need to do to get a National and Local Race Packet.

Welcome, fellow Wyldkin player! I'm the -other- red fox 'kin player around here. ;)

I've discovered that, costume wise, you can conceal a multitude of sins by having a few good props and wearing clothing flowing enough to cover the difference. Shin's ears and tail are his best props, but other than that he's mostly just a modified red underarmor shirt (can't reccommend these enough!) and a uwagi/hakama set under my armor. Well, that and seven colors of makeup and a pint of spray sealant for the face.

If you can survive wearing one, I highly reccommend NorthFur's latex prosthetics as a great way to get that inhuman facial look for a very reasonable cost. I'm rather attached to my beard, or I'd wear the one I have for Shin more often.

Class-wise, I'm going to buck the trend and suggest you go with what you think you'll like. You get a 'free' re-write after your first PC-ing game anyway, to change up things that didn't work well for you, so the worst that can happen is you decide you'd rather play him a bit differently than you'd imagined!

Back