Footwear

RiddickDale

Knight
New Hampshire Staff
Chief Publicity and Digital Content Officer
Greetings,

Recent events have left me looking for some new footwear. I currently wear LL Bean snow boot for the ankle support... but they are pretty friggin heavy and they are really slowing me down. So... I thought I would throw this out to the rest of you folks... I need footwear... preferably lightweight, with decent tread and ankle support. They don't need to be in genre because I cover then with costuming. What should I look into getting?

Stephen/Riddick

Personally, I wear a pair of Cochoran field boots. Great ankle support, reasonably light, and they take a beating well.

jpariury said:
Military boots gives a good view of some different styles. I tend towards the jungle boots. The prices are somewhat high for what I can find at an army surplus store, but finding 12W or 13s can be iffy at an actual store.

wow some of those are really nice. thanks for posting. it's impossible for me to find good boot with having size 14W. i will need to take advantage of this.

I wear a good sturdy pair of Timberland hiking boots.

They do well in staying waterproof and providing traction.

They also look medieval which is an added bonus.

Jim

I know a lot of people lately have taken to wearing cleats , but that lacks in the ankle support.

http://www.ultimatehandbook.com/Webpage ... leats.html has some possible cleats that offer ankle support.

I personally have boots we got for me from Cabela's. They were a bit expensive, but have good tread with some nice period looking outer leather. And have waterproofing.

-Ali

Robb Graves said:
wow some of those are really nice. thanks for posting. it's impossible for me to find good boot with having size 14W. i will need to take advantage of this.

Tell me about it. I lucked into my current boots on clearance because apparently noone else in the area wore 13 EEE's.

I wear a variation on the combat boots. Although they have great support they aren't the lightest things around I have to admit.

RiddickDale said:
Greetings,

Recent events have left me looking for some new footwear. I currently wear LL Bean snow boot for the ankle support... but they are pretty friggin heavy and they are really slowing me down. So... I thought I would throw this out to the rest of you folks... I need footwear... preferably lightweight, with decent tread and ankle support. They don't need to be in genre because I cover then with costuming. What should I look into getting?

Stephen/Riddick

Why not switch to moccassins? A good lot of them lace up all the way to the ankles and you can find them pretty decent at any western store.

Marcena said:
RiddickDale said:
Greetings,

Stephen/Riddick

Why not switch to moccassins? A good lot of them lace up all the way to the ankles and you can find them pretty decent at any western store.

Having worn moccasins for the majority of the 14 years I have been LARPing I can tell you that the pads on the bottom of my feet are almost no existant, and I need special inserts to keep my feet comfortable now

Ick. I am not masochistic enough to wear mocs to a fighting game. After a couple hours of the added impact of running around in armor on rocks, roots, and all the other stuff our sites have to offer, my feet would be destroyed.

Air Raksa said:
Magnum Hi-Techs... don't go insulting the BBG's from a circle of power in anything less

Lol....and knee pads....don't for get those ;)

Bates makes some pretty good combat style boots that are light and offer great support. I like them a lot better than the Magnum Hi-tec series, but both are good boots for running and turning in.

Ya know... you can also luck out at walmart or meyers or whatever discount store is near you.

I went through about 5 sets of footwear both high end and low end before I stumbled on this knock off Caterpillar Brand. Its dark brown or black and looks ok for most costuming.

The ankle support is amazing, and the boot is comfy once you a an insole for arch supports.

interesting ,I currently use a jungle version of military boot i found through a mail-order catalog and they work pretty good for me.

Any suggestions for people with huge (size 16 wide) feet?

Stoneskull_Rockfist said:
Any suggestions for people with huge (size 16 wide) feet?

I bought a pair of boots from scaboots.com. $100 for some very comfortable and great looking boots. I know they make size 16 boots, but they recommend you buy up a size, especially if you have wide feet. I wear size 13 4E wide New Balance sneakers. I bought a pair of size 14 boots from SCA Boots and they fit great. I never wore a more comfy boot for Alliance. I'd shoot them an e-mail and see if they could go up to size 17 if you're interested.

One of the three pairs of boots I wear are the moccassins (the other 2 are jungle boots for night wear and thigh high fold down boots which looks rockin').

On all my boots, I wear orthopedic insoles. No choice, I have screwed up feet from years of jogging and martial arts.

However, the side effect is that a) it's arch support, which moc's suck at, and b) it adds additional support so you don't feel every damn pebble, etc. It actually makes them wearable boots.

I also sprayed 'em with scotchguard for water proofing, which adds immensely to their use. I'd probably get them a half size big, and double layer your socks as well.

Wraith said:
Ick. I am not masochistic enough to wear mocs to a fighting game. After a couple hours of the added impact of running around in armor on rocks, roots, and all the other stuff our sites have to offer, my feet would be destroyed.

I think the harshest I've ever worn was a pair of socks with ducttape on the bottom to give some wear resistance. I don't recommend it. At all.

SCABoots has been amazingly good to me. They excel, IMO, at customer service. When I got my first pair, I had a heel blow out. My wife gave them a call, and they sipped a replacement boot next day, no return necessary, no lengthy explanations or proof or arguments. When we noticed that the leather on the other boot looked a little "bubbly" (weird cut of leather, maybe I sat near a heater too long? I dunno), they replaced that boot as well, no charge.

Back