Forget latex weapons; What about foam latex SHIELDS?

GunFodder

As somone who has built a couple of curved fiberglass shields, I gotta say that I love 'em! That little bit of wrap-around works wonders for protection, and curved shields are immediately more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion.

But fiberglass involves a whole lot of fumes and other things that I'd rather avoid. There are several sites dedicated to making foam latex weapons, but I'm not finding anything for shields. Which is a shame becuase shields present a great opportunity to represent our characters. But there's, what, maybe 16 popular latex shield designs sold through various vendors? I want to customize. I want to build what represents ME.

But before I do, has there ever been a discussion about allowing these shields? As long as the size is within limits, perhaps adding some pipe foam around the edges. But these shields are made out of the same foam that latex swords are. Is it possible, since they're almost 100% foam, that they wouldn't need additional pipe foam?

I've been searching for a couple hours now (I work the grave shift), and I've found very little info for making foam latex shields, particularly curved ones. All I got is the general idea of injected foam moulds. God only knows how much trouble that would be. If anyone has more information, I'd greatly appreciate whatever you might share.

Also, does anyone have reservations about using latex shields in your chapter. If so, why?

P.S. Hmmm, just occurred to me, but I wonder if a dual-layer of vacu-formed plastic would work well for shields. Has someone here used a vacu-forming table?

We here in Ohio had a couple of latex shields at our last event and tried them out in a limited fashion and the ones we had seemed pretty good and would probably be allowed. We haven't officially discussed it yet and made a decree. The biggest things that you need to worry about with shields are thickness of the padding around the edges and hard protrusions off the face of it (like the bolts used to affix the handle). As far as I have seen, as long as those two things are addressed then your shield should pass fine (total surface area too and max length concerns but those are obvious and not open to interpretation on the part of the marshal, unlike "how safe is this shield").

So long as the shield meets size requirments (which many may not as our shields are tiny) and has 5/8" of closed cell foam around the edge it would probably be legal buyt really it comes down to individual chapters or marshalls.

The tricky part with the foam shields is that its hard to prove how much closed cell is on the edge since there isn't a visual cue. Some marshalls will feel the crush and say its good others will say they can't see how much padding there is so they can authorize it. Best check with your local chapter/regular chapters.

I haven't seen many of these in play though so I imagine they don't usually get passed.

Vacuform might work but you might needmore layers as alot of the vacuform plastics are pretty bendy. It'd take a fair bit of experimentation I think.

I may be cruscified by the Ultra-light lovers out there but I still find that like 3/8"-1/2" ply works about the best. And you can customize as much as you want. I use tape and some open cell to create a design on the front, closed cell could work too or just painting and sealing it.

Making curved foam shields is similiar to making curved plywood shields which, I'm sure, there's instructions on the web.

As for vacuform - depending upon the plastic, the shield would be sturdy enough to use for LARPing but you'd still need to add the edging of padding.

For the thin walled plastic and thin walled wooden shields, sometimes the edging foam needs to be replaced due to the edge of the shield wearing thru the foam.
One way to get around this, I have found and used, is an old garden hose, wrapped around the perimeter. You slice a hole lengthwise down the tube, wrap it up, and then put the foam on. Much less replacing of worn foam. Some folks prefer a wrap of leather or some such to do the same thing.

The only latex shield that I've seen personally was far too hard to pass. The foam had pretty much no give. I know there are a number of manufacturers out there so there might be one that makes shields that would work for Alliance, but like any alternative construction it would be a case-by-case basis.

As long as you add foam around the edges the hardness shouldn't really matter though, right? I mean I used to use a ridiculously hard and heavy wooden shield. No way they make latex harder than that...
Ezri said:
The only latex shield that I've seen personally was far too hard to pass. The foam had pretty much no give. I know there are a number of manufacturers out there so there might be one that makes shields that would work for Alliance, but like any alternative construction it would be a case-by-case basis.

Well of course that's true, but then why bother spending $80 for a fancy looking latex shield? LOL

The person who brought it to me wanted to know if it would pass as-is off the factory floor, and it didn't.

You could still consider the money well spent if putting foam around the edges didn't obscure the design too much.

One thing I've decided to become satisfied with is that due to the large amounts of foam required to fulfill safety standards its much more likely you'll get something good looking that your happy with if you accept trying to build for a more "cartoony" look. ;)

Although not Alliance ruled, the way I look at shield safety is that if I can hit my forearm against the edge of it and I'm not worried about breaking any bones if I slammed it harder, I'd consider it safe. It isn't like a weapon that is apt to be swung at someone but it is more in case there's accidential contact. And the edge is more there for the weapon's sake anyways, not to damage them when they hit the edge. Thus far with the latex shields I've seen, I'd much rather them be around me than any plywood daddies.

I imagine finding a shield with a cool 3d thing going on - like a raised dragons head or something. If I found a cool one I could blow $80 bucks plus a few more on foam for the edges.
Ezri said:
Well of course that's true, but then why bother spending $80 for a fancy looking latex shield? LOL

The person who brought it to me wanted to know if it would pass as-is off the factory floor, and it didn't.

In the most simple terms Latex Bad.

Most people don't know the dangers but this stuff over a period of time might actually kill you. It is a progressive allergy that can be acquired over time. Hospitals don't use latex gloves anymore for this very reason. They place themselves and the people under their care at risk.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/latex- ... N=symptoms

here is a highlight

People who are allergic to latex often have a reaction after being in contact with the latex in rubber gloves. Three types of reactions can occur with latex gloves:

* Irritant contact dermatitis. This common reaction to protective gloves isn't an actual allergy. It's most likely due to sweating or rubbing under the gloves or from detergents left on your hands before wearing them. This rash occurs most often in people who wear protective gloves, such as dental and health care workers. Irritant contact dermatitis usually makes your skin appear red, dry and cracked.
* Allergic contact dermatitis. This is a reaction to the latex or chemical additives used during the manufacturing process. The chemicals added to latex can cause a skin rash 24 to 48 hours after contact. The rash usually starts on the parts of your skin that have come in contact with latex, and then may spread to other areas. You may also have oozing blisters.
* Hypersensitivity immune system response. This response is an actual latex allergy. It occurs when your immune system reacts to proteins found in natural rubber latex. In a latex allergy, exposure to latex may cause immediate reactions, such as itching, redness, swelling, sneezing and wheezing.

Exposure to airborne latex particles, often sent into the air when removing latex gloves, can cause signs and symptoms similar to those of hay fever or asthma:

* Stuffy nose
* Cough
* Hives or rash
* Itchy and watery eyes
* Difficulty breathing

Anaphylactic shock symptoms
The most serious allergic reaction to latex is an anaphylactic (an-uh-fuh-LAK-tik) response, which can be deadly. Anaphylactic reactions develop immediately after latex exposure in highly sensitive people and cause the airways (bronchi) to constrict, making it difficult to breathe. Blood pressure may drop to life-threatening levels, making you feel dizzy or causing you to lose consciousness. Other serious signs and symptoms include:

* Wheezing
* Confusion
* Slurred speech
* Rapid or weak pulse
* Blueness of your skin, including your lips and nail beds
* Diarrhea
* Nausea and vomiting

So every time a latex sword hits a latex shield you increase your percentage of getting the "latex dust" into your system. Also the more you are exposed to latex the greater your chance of becoming allergic.

Okay, that is a very nice scare post, except from what I've heard most latex is now made from different stuff that doesn't create such an allergic reaction any more... :?

This is two reply's in one If the above was a flame please stop at one. If you just wanted clarification please read number two. (Yes I do feel that I was possibly slighted but still wish to give the benefit of the.... well you know what I mean.)

Reply One

WTF scare post, please forgive me for informing you about something that you didn't know about and providing a source, sorry for trying to help out I hope nobody you know ever gets *sick*.

Site your sources of how most latex is made from different stuff but still "latex". Until then I will assume you heard about it from a friend who read it on a blog some time ago. But hey thats good enough isn't it.

Reply Two
Sorry I just happen to be allergic to Latex and the stuff can become a serious medical risk for me now and in the future. This is a very serious topic for me and it is something I would never joke about, It's also something that most people don't know about.

At this time the natural rubber know as latex rubber is and will always be a health risk for me and for other people. Major confusion comes in when people think they are talking bout latex when they are not. Many types of rubber exist in the world. Unfortunately most people call anything made rubber latex. It's similar to calling everyting on the road a car. Many of the *cars* are really other things like trucks, vans, suvs, bikes, etc.

The standard misconception is most rubber is now a poly blend of non natural chemicals. So the stuff made from petro-oil is safe and the natural stuff is not. I think the petro rubber is the kind of stuff your thinking about. You can go to any drug store and see the difference if you just look at the gloves. After all the American Medical Association must have had a reason for not using latex anymore.

If you want to just google "latex allergy" and you will find out things you would not believe about the world I live in. For a start just think about most condoms are off limits.

All in all I hope this helps.

OH MY GOD!!!!

PEOPLE CAN BE ALLERGIC TO STUFF!!!

QUICK EVERYONE IN THEIR AIRTIGHT SUITS!!!

THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!!

-This post brought to you by the number sarcasm and the letter overreactionary nonsense.

Peanuts are not even on airplanes because this can be serious. I'm sorry if I seem soooooo serious about this but what if your mom could die because somebody put a band aid on her. Yep most band aid's are now *not* made with latex. How many examples would you like that this is something serious?

I'm not joking or mocking you but could you please have some respect for the fact that somebody out in the internet knows something you don't and it might keep you safe.

But hey what do I know you might not care about your parents or children or friends or or or.... After all you just need to mock someone on the other side of the screen and that makes whatever I say pointless. Once again I point to the fact that I can provide reputable links 427,000 on google for the term latex allergy. Here is just a random sample from the first few pages.

try this
http://www.cdc.gov/Niosh/latexalt.html
protecting folks from latex-related allergies. ... Latex allergy is also associated with allergies to certain foods especially avocado, potato, banana, ...

BTW cdc stands for DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health ya know the people who talk about things like sars and pig flu.

or this
http://health.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/01 ... lergy-101/
This allergy is life threatening. I have latex allergy, because of it I cannot eat in public restaurants. Any food handled with latex gloves ...

or this
http://www.quackwatch.com/03HealthPromotion/latex.html
The FDA has received more than 2000 reports of injury and several reports of death associated with latex allergy. In 1996, the agency published regulations

So keep this thought in mind. You just told someone who is at risk that they are being alarmist and they just proved to you that latex CAN be a threat to someones health.

Get off your high horse, it only makes you a better target.

While I sympathize with your plight and can appreciate someone trying to bring information to a discussion, you are coming accross as being wound waaaay too tight and paranoid in your postings, which is not helping your case. Learn to use more measured "tones" in your postings and you'll be far more likely to get a more positive (or at the very least, measured) response to your opinions.

Point taken, thank you, and sorry.

I have a shinny red button which is when debating something I don't mind critical feedback but I hate tones of well that doesn't seem right "Because".

Once again

Point taken, thank you, and sorry.

Actually the same discussion came up when discussing latex weapons. The main thing was that a lot of weapons have a sealent on them coupled with a very low percentage of people who are extremely allergic. The final outcome was that in the end this was no different than other people having severe allergies and having the right preparation should someone have an allergic reaction. I know there are a few people who have bee allergies and must face these more often than the latex allergic person. In the end its comes down to a person being responsible for themselves and making sure they have the equipment (epi pen) should they come into contact with an allergen and hopefully having told someone what to do should there be an incident.

Traeger said:
Actually the same discussion came up when discussing latex weapons. The main thing was that a lot of weapons have a sealent on them coupled with a very low percentage of people who are extremely allergic. The final outcome was that in the end this was no different than other people having severe allergies and having the right preparation should someone have an allergic reaction. I know there are a few people who have bee allergies and must face these more often than the latex allergic person. In the end its comes down to a person being responsible for themselves and making sure they have the equipment (epi pen) should they come into contact with an allergen and hopefully having told someone what to do should there be an incident.

This.

I am actually alergic to latex, thankfully not severly, and it is a progressive allergy so more exposure does generally mean worsening symptoms. The info provided is good to know but as Traeger said, for larp purposes most latex Items are sealed, this is mostly to protect the latex fromt eh rather extreme environmental hazards of larping it really isn't a sturdy substance on its own.

The fact is that while an allergic reaction, even a sever one, is possible it is fairly unlikely as it is a rare allergy. The key with things like allergies in this game is that really you should talk to your commonly played in Chapters if they are discussing or allowing latex weapons that they may be a problem for you and then they can adjust thier policy accordingly and you can keep yourself prepared for what does come into game or choose not to play (like those with sever bee alergies avoid outdoor activities), I think most chapters would happily say no to latex weapons/shields if they have a player with concerns about allergies, but it isn't really an issue so widspread as to need hard and fast rulings at the national level.

Back