Formal scrolls

tolgar undershaft

Artisan
San Francisco Staff
Not sure if this has come up or not in the past and I don't feel like digging through old posts so perhapse someone can assist me on this question. I for one love Ritual magic. It being one of the major reasons i love this game. But the questions always gets at me as to where do these magicl formal scrolls come from? If no one can make one unless a copy formal magic scroll is used, then where do all these people obtain all these scrolls? Is there some part of the game history that explains who / what creates them?

On a side note from that I have thought that the ability to make a formal scroll would be a good idea not only for the players but also for the game owner too. One issue we have is always having to place orders for gold. This can be an expensive thing to buy. As we have introduced high magic abilities I would suggest that we add an ability of "create formal scroll". For x amount of times you purchase this skill it would give you acess to making a ranking of equal or lessor to the scroll you where attempting to make. Obviously the list of scrolls that could be created could be limited to a certain list. On top of the create formal scroll skill you would also need to buy special paper and ink which could be purchased from npc's putting gold back into the owners hands. To put some danger factor into it you could have flaws and backlashes just as you would when casting the scroll in a circle.

Anyways would love to get help on the first part and any feedback as to my second part. good bad whatever would love to hear other sides to the coin.

The only IG theory I have ever heard is that they are either written or pooped out by dragons.

As to PC creation of them... meh. I think that would either be too overpowered or too costly buildwise to invest in.

Being able to pick which scrolls are made available to your character (and especially since these would be "restricted" scrolls, as they would be created using national-level creation rules) is a very powerful capablity which I believe would be totally worth any build expenditure.

Back