Formal Wylderkin Council

Calling all wylderkin of Fortannis! I am working with a few selected delegates to construct a formal series of books that will document the personal beliefs, cultures, and values of different wylderkin in each kingdom. To be a delegate you MUST be able to read and write. The responsibility of said delegate will be to review and document their own kingdoms book as well as submit the book to the council.

If not chosen to be a delegate, you are still needed! You are just as important as the delegates for it is up to you to share your contributions.

What will this do for us? Well my goal is to have the book available to any kin who travels or new kin trying to find what they believe is truth. Example some kin believe fae created kin as other believe kin were the first beings.

As well as this will create a very nice start of a kin library. Who knows where this will lead us but perhaps the information that will be available could save lives, kingdoms, or Fortannis!

What about specific kin race beliefs?
Obviously a coyotekin will have very different principals and beliefs than an angler-fishkin. The information is important. Any ultra specific contributions can be submitted to certain delegates (not appointed currently) and will be added into a sort of encyclopedia type of book for that race in those lands.

How do you become the delegate/representation for my lands?
First you must have the read and write skill as well as fill out a short application to make sure you're right for the job. Obviously we can't have someone representing the kin if they were raised by humans or elves and not around kin.

What else does this order do?
We are currently unofficial (yet ill be looking into getting it registered) and our focus is to help wylderkin adventurers or just kin who want to discover themselves. However I'd like to see the order grow and perhaps grow into a non-profit organization for the needs of Wylderkin communities (such as rebuilding destroyed homelands, equip tribes fighting wars, provide food and medicine to the less fortunate, schools, ect).

If you have any questions or concerns please express them openly (if needed) or privately to myself.

For applicants please private contact me as well.

Always in service,
Corporal Zimps of Odenis
Kingdom Arandin Representative

Ps if the kind lizard-kin I met in Barran as well as the sturdy rhino-kin would like to message me privately, I would love the pleasure of speaking with both of you

Hello Zimps,

Would you mind expanding on your statement of you feeling that it is obvious that the Wylderkin cannot have someone representing Wylderkin if they were raised by other races and not with Wylderkin? This statement gave me specific pause.

Thank you for your time in consideration.

Frank of Acarthia

I've found the more I travel and the more I encounter there is an exceedingly amount of wylderkin whom adopted elven or humanistic culture for they were orphaned or another reason. These wylderkin usually do not have their own origin and this is the cause we are striving for. To be able to help wylderkin discover a culture that makes sense to them whether it be the lone wolfkin in one kingdom adopting the culture from a tribe of wolfkin in another lands.

However, let me shed some light on the grey area. If you are a wylderkin and have adopted another races culture YET know your origins or other wylderkin cultures then you can still be a representative. I feel I would be one of those exceptions, I have been born into a very strong heavily cultured coyotekin society with strong beliefs and sense of community. However, recently I bid my life to the great Protectorate of Odenis and started to learn of the other races as well as the wylderkin of my lands. That is why I can read and write today if it wasn't for my sire.

I guess in short what I'm trying to say is to be a reprentative you should be able to make a decently sized contribute of your own type of kin as well as have the determination and strive to document the other types of kin of your lands. It wouldn't make much sense if a wolfkin submitted a humans culture because that's what they raised up on.

I hope this explains that better,
Corporal Zimps of Odenis

Zimps,

Thank you for your reply, and the depth included to create understanding.

Frank of Acarthia

When you speak this loud, everyone hears you. If you're really a coyote, you're no Anitu. That's for sure. And you must not be very well traveled, either.

Most of us know why we don't have books and things and libraries. Its what pinkies do. They keep records. Why do we need to keep records when we can just talk to each other? I know what my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather did. He hunted the Undead. That was his lifeblood. I don't need a book to tell me that. My father did, when his father told him, and his father and so on. It is a story much better told than read.

And not letting other people's cultures be valid? Just cus they were raised with some other people?

A wolf knows how to hunt. He knows it from the moment the wind touches his nose and he smells prey for the first time. No pinkies, no feathers, no orcs or otherwise can take that from him. A snake will go bathe in the sun and enjoy the warmest day as if it was the best day in the world. That is a part of him as much as the smell of the dying leaves on the first day of it turning cold is a part of me. We know who we are.

My people and the Kiergani have been brothers and sisters for years and years and years before my litter. And they will be years and years and years after. We hunt and we sing and we laugh together as one. You don't need to be fuzzy in order to appreciate what that means, but the Kiergani have never robbed us of being who we are. Our 'culture' doesn't falter because we are family with those who don't look like us.

Anyone who is furry, who is scaled, who is feathered...all of us. All of us are important. Our 'culture' is that we are as we are. I know no one, not even humans who can adapt like we can. And they're pretty adaptable.

I don't know how to read anymore. Fate's Magic made it so. But I would tell you that I can tell you a better story about how my people lived and died with Cora Ezri's people, with Pralla Drak's people..with all of them, way better than some pup who just learned to read because she wanted to make loud noises. You want the people giving information to sound and talk just like you. We're not. And that's what makes all kin, everywhere, great. We're all different.

Take that into account before you puff your chest up and start talking about how things have to be in order to be remembered. It's the easiest way to be forgotten.

-Mischief

"And that's what makes all kin, everywhere, great. We're all different."

To use your quote wisely what is important to you may be different than others. You are full of yip and chortle and I find it fair that you yip your opinions about me and the thoughts of the council. However, let it be known we all are different. It is to be known in my lands a coyote is from the desert scape, however I was born in the same lands in a cold temperate scape. I have a complete different culture from those coyotes and I do you or any other coyote or wylderkin. Which makes us rich and great all in one.

We do share one true trait is that my culture and heritage was told and never written. It was a crime for any undecorated coyote to cast magic, possess any items made from other races, to carry weapons or shields, or to learn skills such as read and write or even alchemy. I do not wish to make anyone, kin or otherwise talk or possess the same mentality as me. That would be barbaric. I just want to help future kin, curious kin, or potentially any adventure adventuring into kin lands to have information on which could potentially save lives.

Everyday wylderkin are dying in my lands or are in sufferage. Some without the skill to write or an ear to tell their heritage to are quickly fading. We are loosing great amounts of valuable information that could change an entire race of wylderkin for the better. Before you cackle at the idea of me being selfish, then think about those who want to document and can't. Or even think about those who have the skill and know the quill can be mightier than the sword.

I stick my chest out cause I'm proud to be able to do this service for my lands, my kingdom, and for all of Fortannis. Those who know that documenting the very diverse cultures of wylderkin is and can be important will agree with the council.

There is a reason for everything.

Always in Service,
Corporal Zimps of Odenis

Zimps,

I believe I understand now where the divergence is in this.

There are multiple ways of being a Wylderkin. For the sake of explanation, I will simplify it into two extreme spectrums.

The first is what I would call Wild Wylderkin. These are the Wylderkin whom are typically more bestial than civilized. They are typically guided by their instincts. Some examples:

-Refer to communication in such terms as "Yip" like yourself. Bestial terms instead of civilized ones.
-Shear their fur and weave cloth from the fur. Seen as rather gross by civilized aspects - you wouldn't want a blanket made of dwarf beard.
-Think about, or instinctually look upon other Wylderkin in a predator and prey perspective. Cannibalism, essentially.
-May or will resist integration into society with the rest of the races.
-Will hold to baser instincts and older ways of their Kin or the Wylderkin as a whole, as they understand it.

The second is what I would call Modernized Wylderkin. These are the Wylderkin whom typically exist in society by civilized norms. They carry instincts and mannerisms, but are not guided by it.

-Will communicate without animal-like qualities. Seen as "lost" by Wild Wylderkin in mannerisms.
-Will fully integrate themselves with society. Seen as divergent or dishonoring to the culture of Wild Wylderkin.
-Treats other Wylderkin like they would any other race instinctually.
-Will typically hold to more civilized thought over baser instincts, and look to modernize or civilize their doings.

Now, these are extreme looks at the divergence, the vast majority of Wylderkin I've known and encountered fall in between, but tend to learn towards one perspective even if slight. Myself? I am my Kin. However, I would not be so foolish as to wrestle someone to the ground with my antlers, and then tear our their throats with my fangs. Such is not only inefficient, but ridiculous. I am grateful for the instincts my race affords me. But it is not due to being animal, but being Wylderkin. I'm not a Muntjac, I'm a Wylderkin. We are not the animals we look like, we are Wylderkin.

Of note in these divergent perspectives, if you ever referred my speaking as "yipping" or any other animalistic terms, I would perceive it as insult. I am not an animal, nor are any other Wylderkin.

Consider this the rest of this as my perceived perspective on your proposal.

The question of the validity of your proposal is if it truly represents all Wylderkin. I believe that the recording of the myths, legends, and cultural beliefs of the Wylderkin without influence of other cultures is important, and a worthy cause. Where the perhaps misunderstanding, or concern with your current project lies is putting too much emphasis on past cultural beliefs instead of fowarding our people if they so choose.

It comes across that you are wanting to represent an entire race, while being exclusionary and elitist.

One cannot consider the race without where it was, where it is, and where it can go. As a race, we endure too many hardships and prejudices to encourage a backslide out of civilized capability, which is what this also comes across as.

There should not be any Wylderkin against the documentation of the history, beliefs, and culture of Wylderkin across Fortannis. It is the implication and perception that this council represents all Wylderkin, or anything correct in the ways of the Wylderkin, that is of concern. We are too varied of a race to exclude anyone for any reasons, or the forwarding of our culture and race.

Personally I wish to see the heritage of the Wylderkin preserved in as many ways possible, while forwarding the ways and needs of our race. I would like to see the prejudices of our race be no more than a footnote in history. Any race can act base, animalistic, and uncivilized. It seems we are the only race whom has a great deal of those that still thinks such is appropriate for the world we live in. It holds us back collectively.

Frank of Acarthia

I think you miss the main part of my point. I think you should do the things you've said, but you should take into account that just because people can't read..or they're raised differently, doesn't mean they still don't have a culture. Unless they're kept as a pet by people..and then they should be freed immediat-...immed....right now.

I am sad for you. Your people dying is never a good sign. And having knowledge about things is always good. You cannot fight undead without knowing what they are. How would you know what would work on them?

But I think your methods should be different. Because I think you'll find a lot more of me, than you will of you. If you know what I mean. When you go looking for other kin, there are more like me than like you.

I don't think you're being selfish, and I do think you're trying to help, but there may be better ways to do it.

Maybe sometimes think harder about the words you speak, and who you speak to in such a vast place as this dream. I bet you (and me both) will find far more different people than we would find alike people. Especially since kin are by far the most diverse people in all of Fortannis.

*the tone become cheerful* And I only yip when chasin' people. This is more serious talk.

-Mischief

Ah ha! My friends you stated it perfectly. Frank, mentioning the wild kin compared to the more civil is a great example of what I'm trying to say. Myself was born into a wild kin society but am around everything BUT a kin. My sire is human and my brothers are dark elf, Orc, mystic wood elf, elf and a human. Yet I still hold onto my wild, "beast" like mentality.

Mischief the way to exclaimed that the "pet" wylderkin or ensalved are out there is a great example. They should be freed or educated why they shouldn't be like that. I've heard stories of wylderkin treated like pets and grown accustom to the lifestyle. Slaves to leashes! Come to whistles and bells! I, myself, was seen and called a "pet" because of my military training and abiding by the directions of my commanding officers.

I'm not saying just because they can't read or write they're not important. In fact, they could be the most important. For documentation purposes it would be hard for them to be a representative. If one is so strong for the cause and want to represent then I would ask them how would they document their findings? Would they have a scribe? And questions like that.

I'm trying to preserve the more beast wylderkin origin. Heritage and culture that is not HEAVILY influenced by other races without good reason. I mean if the white tail stag lived with the wild elves from the time they can remember that is fine. I guess a prime example of what I'm not looking for or in favor for is a submission that says: I'm a salamander-kin. My famiky of father, mother, and two brothers lived amongst the dwarves and from there I believed in what the great blacksmith dwarf taught me when I used to visit him in the shop. And I we ate -insert dwarf food- and we studied -insert dwarf culture-

If its something like: I'm a jellyfishkin and a long time ago fae cursed us to walk the land to never return to the sea. We co existed with the wild elves who taught us how to make water ways in which we shared how to make kelp and coral gardens which they traded some of the harvest to teach us how to make nets to capture salmon and shovels to dig clams which my people have always endulged on. From that point we adopted some wild elf skills such as weapon making and we taught them the ancient arts of cultivation of the sea and master alchemicals.

That's what I'm trying to say.

(Shortly just says) Corporal Zimps of Odenis

Acarthia has a rather large population of Wylderkin, my self included. I would be interested in taking on some of the burden of such a great work in my own realm. Is there some sort of formality you would like to see in accepting such a task for ones Realm? Or is the desire to undertake it enough?

Ri of Tiatar

Perhaps another angle.

A Library is a place one goes to seek answers to questions. Therefore, a library should not intentionally limit itself in the scope of questions it can answer.

In the end with your restated purpose, perhaps you should rename your council, for it does not fulfill the purpose it describes. It is definitely not a council of or for all Wylderkin, but a limited scope of them that would be up to you to label.

-Frank of Acarthia

Maybe someone in the council can read da books and tell the people who can't read what's in them?

-Jehyu

I echo the sentiments put for by Frank of Acarthia and Mischief, well put and well said. We are, all ultimately, a collection made whole by our complimentary differences. By that which is around us, and how to it we adapt. That very quality dictates our essence as kin, I believe. Each of our packs, families, herds and so on made whole by the traditions passed down to us and they each in turn differ from one group to the next.

I disagree to the point that the recollections and additions to this 'comprehensive' collection of knowledge, even 'councilor-ship' would be precluded by the sheer fact that the person in question was not raised among those of their same race. This seems somewhat insular. Mischief has a very strong point, and I don't think it could be said any better." Our 'culture' is that we are as we are."

As one who was raised in the care of a human, my brother an Orc, and my adoptive parents there after neither of whom were Kin, it was up to me to discover my own identity irregardless of any pack traditions that might have existed had they been wolf-kin. But they are and always will be my pack. Their traditions are my traditions. And those traditions differ as much from our family, to the next family, as it does from one pack of kin to the next.

I am one for codifying, certainly, and I have and will always support the study of history and its dedication to wood, paper, stone or simply the traditions of our voices. However, I do not feel any one system is inherently better than the next, and rather than create an inherent disposition towards any particular style of record keeping, why not take account in a multitude of ways? While books may stagnate and collect dust on shelves in archaic libraries, voices too many grow old and weak with age - but having one and another, they account for each other weakness. That diversity is something that has already been echoed through this dream. It is central to who we are, as a collective people.

More over I would add my assent to the point of discriminating between those who can and can not read is not in the spirit of creating a council towards the betterment of a racial collective knowledge. To go on would be to echo more of the same by Frank's voice. Suffice to say we are indeed too varied a race to exclude anyone for simple reasons of accepted social normative standards, as dictated by the majority rule. All perspectives, be they written or spoken or otherwise, should be welcomed and accepted, and passed down. Let us in this act, build a descriptive analog to our existence through history and record, rather than create a prescriptive history that best suits the whims of those who presume to preside over others.

Corporal Zimps, I would imagine that, if anything, this discourse itself is trending towards what you hope to found and create, as a means for others to add their voices and their perspectives to build a complete historical perspective. Perhaps, rather than a council, rather than dreams, you look to calling a Moot. Something to which all who are able, willing and interested, may attend in order to create this living body of history.

Shin Greylight
Son of Shanshi

Last edited:
*A firm young female voice chimes in* (I will sign this way to start with, since her name isnt known yet at-large, but you can find out if you choose IG. I only have the one character right now anyway so assume the voice is always the same)

*The tone is gentle and tired sounding...*

Some people.. you know who you are... and with respect gentlemen, you will have me putting iron beneath my pillow at night again to insure no bleed from this dream realm... I do not like the prospect of waking in the morning unrested due to... to this...

*theres a pause*

In honesty...

If anyone crosses my path with this project in my lands... claiming any formal authority on the race... I could only laugh.
*The tone is lacking in any great emotion . Like someone disinterestedly listing off thoughts from a technical manual*

Or I could only be glad to not be included in its notes- because if being considered legitimately a part of the species "culture" comes only from undeveloped backwards behaviors. I could only all too happily walk away from the association.

*The tone remains disinterested*

Maybe if Wylderkin "culture" wasn't so awful and prone to implying its participants act like stupid rutting animals that dig through trash and act like beasts, there wouldn't be so many adoptees, migrants, and outright refugees happily outside of it with the humans in all of their variety, the elves and the dwarves as closer peers...

*The voice trails off at the end into silence*

Last edited:
*low voice*
hmm.
Not sure I follow. 'Kyn in the same area share this? I don' see it where I am. I am different than Swift or Loans. I think different.
I will give my thoughts, but each path will be different for each cub.

'Snows on the Wind'

I am of two races, and neither of them kin, so my apologies for intruding.

My son has said his piece, and I say from experience that being raised by non-kin as not made him less a wolf. Chosen family is as important as blood: it takes the template of birth and makes it into a whole person when the alternative is loneliness. We make ourselves into who we need to be, for the ones we cherish.

If they share your feathers, fur, or scales, you can look at one another and smile. If they don't, you can do the same. It's just sometimes harder for strangers to understand your bonds.

-Phedre Shanshi

The Arahkounem will have no part of this...categorization of people. It leaves a foul taste in this elder brother's mouth.

Kyn adapt. Kyn learn. Kyn change as all life changes with what that kyn is exposed to. To see a coyotekin as representative of his kyn, and not just his tribe, that is foolishness, and doomed to failure. No two kyn are alike, no matter how similar their noses, fur, or colorings.

You see a kyn that has lived, you see a representative of that kyn's life. You see the trials they have survived. No more. No less.

And a kyn needs not know how to read the words on a page to represent their spirit, or their tribe. That, also, is foolishness.

-Zeth

*sneeze*

I think..uh...I think her name was Zimps? I think that she's tryin' to help, and is just not finding the right way. That she's seeing all other races, that have this structure where history is written, and where an elf is an elf is an elf...except they're not. The Amani and Kiergani are family to us. They both live in the forest, but their habits and their thoughts are very different. So maybe its like that too in other races that we don't see? That its hidden somewhere, 'cuz they all look alike, but we don't.

Anyways. I think our culture's good. Different, but still good. For all of us.

But maybe we -should- find a way so that it doesn't get lost. I mean, we Anitu know some of the best ways to hunt Undead. If all the Anitu were wiped out all at once...the Kiergani would remember us, and what we've learned together.

I hope.

*there's a soft whine* Right...?

-Mischief

Wow this dream blew up. Let me see where to begin on this hunt of clarity.

First, I am not representing an ENTIRE race. I'm representing only my lands as a wylderkin figure who dedicates themself to writing the large, mainly wylderkin populated communities with deep roots that should be written and be available to any good hearted person.

Second, no where am I making wylderkin who can't read and write unimportant or lesser. The reason for the libraries is to basically offer a free scribe service to those who can't scribe themselves. Making wylderkin who can't read and write actually more important in the case than those who can.

Third, if you need to access the libraries and can't read. Guess what, there will be a representative which (in preference) can read who can read it to you! Or you can ask a friend to read it to you AS WELL.

Fourth, I'm not saying growing with other races doesn't make you less of a kin. We are looking for LARGE established communities to document. There is SO many kin who are living as the only kin or amongst a sparing few. MYSELF BEING ONE. HOWEVER, I was born in my beast less civil pack society. I will document my beast history and culture, NOT MY INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCE WITH MY PINKIE FAMILY.

Fifth, if you don't like the library, guess what you don't have to read it. Your not even being forced to contribute. However some of the most important events in ALL of our lands histories and great successes and failures are most likely written in a book somewhere. So why shouldn't the great tribes, packs, and herds not be treasured so our future children and kin not have the resources on which they can learn and reflect. Just ask yourself, have you ever encountered someone who lost their memory in accident or incident and are searching to find themselves? I can answer, I have. Plenty. And what if it was a kin? If I was that kin, I would be delighted to have this type of resource available to me.

Thank you for all those who responded positively or with clear understanding of my intentions.

Corporal Zimps of Odenis
K.A.R.

You addressed all of Fortannis. And remarked this was more than just your lands.

The last 5 Coyote-Kin I met and got to know in person ate garbage, had no sense of honor, and would run from a fight before face their fear. One could speak decent, but the other 4 acted like they had taken too many blows to the head. One was female, and was fought over in tests of dominance and treated like property of the group. They wore rags, often made squeaking instead of speaking, and were not only accepting, but welcoming in being treated like slaves by the humans.

Should that be the only entry on Coyote-Kin if that is the majority of Coyote-Kin that feels welcome or received by your group? Would it be right to tell all those that I come across asking about Wylderkin my experience with that group?

-Frank of Acarthia

Back