Forum change

Harlock

:? I am confused on why the look of the forum has changed. The new look is difficult to tell what topics have a reply on. There are only 2 choices on the board style. Neither one of them are something I prefer. I like the way it looked before. Is it possible to have the old style back? Also the avatars are not showing up.

If you click on "view new posts" in the upper right, it will display all new posts since your last visit.

Harlock Hammerhand said:
it os possible to have the old style back? Also the avatars are not showing up.

No, it is not. The old style is not compatible with the new version of the forums.

Avatars were probably also lost in the update. Reuploading them should fix the problem.

Is it possible to get more styles added to the board?

Shikar al'Basteua said:
Avatars were probably also lost in the update. Reuploading them should fix the problem.
I tried to upload my avatar and it still isn't being shown.

So the new style looks aesthetically neat, but makes for difficult reading based on the dark on dark that the theme uses. Also in one spot I noticed that some user names are hard to read, the one I specifically noted was "Obcidian" and it seemed to be due to the color coding of his permission set.

I'd be happy to stick with the style if we can somehow make it easier to read.

~Mark

Yeah, the light blue, the green, and the orange are a little weird on the background. So is the dark text on dark/mottled background. The aesthetics are neat, but if the details can be tweaked a little it'd make it a little easier to read.

I'll see about adding a couple of other styles, but not right now. Give me a few days (or do the leg work for me, I'm ok with that too. Any free style for phpBB 3.0.2 is acceptable).

Sounds groovy. I do really like the theme from a "hey that looks cool" standpoint.

I'll see if I can scrounge up a theme that is equally cool looking, but easier to read, and I totally respect that it takes a good amount of your time to support us by managing the forums like you do.

~Mark

Shikar al'Basteua said:
I'll see about adding a couple of other styles, but not right now. Give me a few days (or do the leg work for me, I'm ok with that too. Any free style for phpBB 3.0.2 is acceptable).
<bump>
Just a friendly reminder. It has been a few monthes and still haven't seen any more new styles.

Kevin

I don't think Dan's going to upload all of those to the board. If there's one or two you like, that might be a good way to narrow it down for him.

Honestly I don't think those three themes really convey the ambiance that Dan was looking for with the new theme. The theme really should maintain at least some level of fantasy feel. I'd hate to lose the good aspects of this theme while attempting to resolve the issues we may have with it.

I totally appreciate you looking into it though, Kevin.

~Mark

That is a good point, Mark. There can be sacrifices when trying to balance ambiance and functionality. I have to admit I'm occasionally guilty of reading forums in less tolerant environments (breaks at certain jobs, etc) and I appreciate the ability to switch to a less conspicuous theme. :)

Back