Forum Changes Discussion Thread

RiddickDale

Knight
New Hampshire Staff
Chief Publicity and Digital Content Officer
Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts/questions regarding the upcoming forum changes!

Thanks!

Stephen
PR Guy

:Robot:

Good call Dan! Thanks for your help!

That's what I get for posting announcements so early.

Stephen
PR Guy

Only the Gom Jabbar can truly seperate the Marshals from the Players.

jpariury said:
How do you plan to parse out and enforce who are Marshals?

Good question.

First and foremost, we are hoping that our community will help the process by avoidance. If a person isn't a Marshal we would hope they would just not respond.

However, the expectation will be that any Marshal who answers a question will sign the post with their credentials. Our message boards (specifically our rules boards) are read by chapter staff and ownes from across the Alliance. The assumption is that is someone is falsely claiming to be a marshal, then it should not go on for too long before it is seen. At that point it would be dealt with by the Moderation staff.

We have never tried anything like this before, but we believe that the potential benefits of having a well organized place for people to look for rules information far outweigh the risks of abuse.

Cheers,

Stephen
PR Guy

:robot:

How do they look?

Everyone liking the new forums so far?

Stephen
PR Guy

Seems fine to me. If I have any complaint, it's just that there's one extra page to click through for the Rules and Discussion boards. It would be nice if there was a collapsible list of subforums right from the main page.

I don't really understand why the sub forums that are listed ARE listed. i don't know if this is user or browser specific, but when I look at the front page of the forum i see:

Out-of-Game
--> Official Announcements
--> Discussion
------> Subforum: General Discussion
--> Rules
------> Subforum: Rules Discussion
--> National Event
--> Off Topic
-->Art, Costuming and Props
--> Fiction and Art
--> Marketplace

why list those 2 specific sub forums? why not none, or all of them?

Robb Graves said:
I don't really understand why the sub forums that are listed ARE listed. i don't know if this is user or browser specific, but when I look at the front page of the forum i see:

Out-of-Game
--> Official Announcements
--> Discussion
------> Subforum: General Discussion
--> Rules
------> Subforum: Rules Discussion
--> National Event
--> Off Topic
-->Art, Costuming and Props
--> Fiction and Art
--> Marketplace

why list those 2 specific sub forums? why not none, or all of them?

Good question. I'll reach out to the Admin guy and see if he can either explain or fix it.

Stephen
PR Guy

I want to say the subforums listed are the ones with the most recent posts, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Edit: Ignore me, I'm wrong.

if that's the case, and everyone loves that, awesome... i guess i just don't get why it would be available only for those two forums then since I know most of the forums on the main page have sub forums as well. seems odd to only have those two parent forums with that feature enabled.

jpariury said:
Will someone be going through the current "rules discussion" subforum and parsing out threads like this one into the Rules Theory subforum? (And other assorted cleanup)

Yes.

Those duties are being divided up between the various Paladins. It will take some time, but I would expect that migration to begin soon.

Stephen

Robb Graves said:
if that's the case, and everyone loves that, awesome... i guess i just don't get why it would be available only for those two forums then since I know most of the forums on the main page have sub forums as well. seems odd to only have those two parent forums with that feature enabled.

thanks for pointing this out. I have updated it to list them all. this should make the quick through that much easier for people.

Also for clarity, PHPBB distinguishes between two types of forums, those that are nested forums inside forums, and those that are categories with forums inside them. Really its just two ways of doing the same thing in most cases, but in some, like this, categories allow for better control over how information gets displayed and arranged. So for example if you click into the out of game section http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 Rules and Discussions are categories with subforums, thus they display the forums instead of one link you would have to click through. Really I would like to go through and do this in a number of other places, but its a time thing, and honestly mostly superficial.

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts though.

- Jeremy
Some admin type person

Back