Friend or Foe - when should I killing blow?

Tetsu

Scout
Howdy friends,

This ain't somethin' I do often - speak in dreams. It is not something I'm too comfortable with; I try my best to avoid it. However, this sorrowful topic must be addressed, and from what I've been witnessin', right soon too.

I believe one of the most important things in any conflict is to know your enemy. Is this a citizen I'm fighting? Is it a monster? You better be sure before you fancy yourself the executioner. I have been witnessing way too many blood-crazed adventurers running folk through who are ENSLAVED, or UNDER MILITARY ORDERS, and are CITIZEN RACES of Tar'Navarria. I personally do not have a great talent for magics, or I'd be personally trying to life and render unconcious every victim I could. I can't do that though. My talents lie elsewhere. However, I can speak up and shed some light on a very real problem, and hope this helps before the bloodlust and carelessness gets worse.

Another reason to think before you kill: do you wish to bring down vengeance upon yourself? Some of you may not be aware, but there is a ritual that one may cast on their spirit called Vengeance. It's a burst of spiteful damage that lances forth from the body of a person when they're run through. The damage is directed squarely at the person who delivered the killing blow. Do you want to take that risk?

In every battle there are going to be casualties. We cannot stop and provide first aid to all those we best in combat, that's just reality. We do not have to kill every opponent we face, either.

Please just be smart and try to practice some self-control out there my friends. Consider my words, I beg of you.

Sincerely,

Sgt. Flint Boulderback

Tetsu,
You are right. Last gather I delivered a death blow to a creature we were trying to captude and it cost us a life spell. My error caused us to us respurces we shouldnt have. I agree with you tho. If we know someone is enslaved or enthralled we need to help them. Not cut them down. Would we want someone to do that to us if we were enthralled?

Grim

The answer is never killing blow...its that simple.

Drak

Aggravain said:
Tetsu,
You are right. Last gather I delivered a death blow to a creature we were trying to captude and it cost us a life spell. My error caused us to us respurces we shouldnt have. I agree with you tho. If we know someone is enslaved or enthralled we need to help them. Not cut them down. Would we want someone to do that to us if we were enthralled?

Grim

Brother Grim, you drinking and striking the anvil at the same time again? What did I tell you about that?

Sgt. Flint thank you for your insight. Hopefully people will follow. Listen to Drack though. We never killing blow. You just never know what might happen. Unless of course its a pathetic troll that needs a touch of flame to be run through.

I personally don't like to strike down a member of a protected race, but often find myself running into grey area? I've seen mercenaries hired against Icenia or a certain group or adventurer felled without reproach. Don't we have jails for such people? What about Galanthian soldiers? Do we take war prisoners? And how do we ever know in the heat of battle that such people aren't enslaved or enthralled or dominated or... anything like that?

There's a line we should draw, but I can't say I'm smart enough to know where.

That doesn't sound like the Gilwing I know. *small chuckle is heard*

Regardless if you are unsure if you should attack let alone kill a creature perhaps you should use your better judgment and not strike at all. I am not saying to just lay down and allow them to kill you. I am just suggesting if there is a way to avoid a conflict perhaps it is best to do so.

If you can't deal with blood on your conscious, don't pick up a blade. As Flint stated, these creatures may have families. If something were to happen where you suddenly had to take care of four ogre children because of your careless blade slinging, could you do it? or would you kill them too? Many of our seasoned heroes live with this everyday. It's something you don't want on your hands, trust me.

-Cuar

If they're trading in slaves you run your sword through their rotten, black hearts. Otherwise consider the circumstances. If they've got healers and the fight isn't one-sided that person you dropped may get back up and hurt you or your friends if you don't run them through. If they don't have healers there's no need to run them through, they won't be getting back up unless you want them to anyway. Another exception is made for trolls, who must be kicked repeatedly and then lit on fire.

So what you are saying is that if you were put in the situation that Flint was put in this last gather, where about 20 imladari women attacked him and 5 others you would have run them all through??
They had a healer. Does that mean you would have killed each and every one of those women?!
Red

It depends on the circumstances. In an obvious war or an attack upon the town by an organized large group, killing blows are expected.

If you're being attacking by noncitizen races (trolls, goblins) there is no problem.

If, however, you are fighting with a thief, or a spy, or even a necomancer, it's probably better to knock them down and then bring them to the nobles for justice. After all, the penalty for thievery is not death, and for all you know, the necromancer can prove he was enslaved or something.

So it depends.

Magistrate Sir Eros

Sir Eros,

I understand what you are saying. My questions were directed to Dorian. I wishes for him to clear up his meaning. What you speak is the law. What he has said is a good way for him to get arrested.

So Dorian answer my questions please.

Red

I would tend to agree with you Magistrate. When I was referring to battle's with uncertain outcomes, that statement in my mind is the same as an organized large group attacking. It isn't too often that a handful of magicked folks walk into Fairedale and cause THAT much trouble.

Red, in the battle you're speaking of if you didn't run them through could the enemy healers have gotten them back up? Another question for you... Over the course of the fight was it realistic that if the enemies weren't run through that you (the good guys not you specifically) could have finished the fight and stabilized them without life spells? Did all twenty-five come charging at once or did they come around in smaller groups?

There are a lot of things that come into play that make a difference, but most of the time I'd imagine you're not going to be able to stabilize them mid-fight and so they're probably going to need life spells later if you want to get them up anyhow. So if they have healers you're probably best running them through mid-fight to stop yourselves from having to further expose yourself to potential dangers.

How about this for another added glitch in your plans. I was one of the 20 women. I along with these women were enslaved. Does this make your choice of action harder or easier?

We had no choice. I didn't want to attack people I know and am friends with. Yes the healer could have brought them back to continue fighting. But would you seriously run through 20 women just because they're attacking and there is a healer behind them??

Red

My friends,

This is never easy. The situation you are in governs our actions. Let us keep in mind those we fight arent always controlling their own actions and act accordingly. What happened with the Puritan was disturbing. We need to govern ourselves and our fellows to make sure more innocents arent arent used and hurt in thus manner. I have no question that everyone talking here will be honorable and do the right thing. I am honored to have served with you Red. You do us proud even now.

Marcusagrim Anvilstrike
Man at Arms
Vanguard Unit

Red, the only thing that changes in my mind is the priority in which life spells would need to be used. You still didn't answer my questions about the tactical layout about the fight. While you seem to be hearing "he's heartless and would just run through anyone" what I'm trying to get across is that if they were going to need life spells anyway and not running them through could be dangerous due to the presence of healers than you should run them through in the best interests of everyone present.

You would have to ask Flint that. Since I was on the opposite end of their swords I do not know. I resurrected in that battle and was freed from the enslavement. If you want to know tactics speak with Flint.

Red

With the battle in question, was it known that the women were under the enslavment effect? Was it known that you, yourself were under the influence of somekind of control and you had not just switch sides. Were they part of a group known to be at war and at ends with these lands?

If I had been there and did not know what was going on and 20 women attacked me, I would defend myself the best I could. If that ment running a few of them though, then thats what I would have done. It makes no difference to me if the person or thing attacking me is male or female, if it seems they are trying to kill me then I will will do my best to kill them first.

Live well and die with Honor,

Cyric Bane

Warcaster of Red Paw
Elder of Clan Red Bear

Bickering and trying to get a raise out of each other wont solve the situation at hand. Perhaps if you have personal conflicts with another individual in this conversation it would be better that you handle it else where.

There are more times then I prefer to count I has seen our hero's having their minds altered. I myself have had to lay down a brother and sister because they weren't suborn enough to a charm spell or a dominate. On this subject at hand we should seek our if a biata or mystical wood elf has the patience to return their mind to its proper train of thought. If there is no one around that could help you then and only then would it be way to injure them enough to unconsciousness, then find a healer to ensure they are stable and not bleeding anymore.

I know this is difficult but it is just a small suggestion. I do not travel with the heroes anymore so I do not know what your "tactics" are as of late. However, from what I've been hearing in my dreams it seems to me you have lost track of what you are fighting for and why. Perhaps it is not a matter of who we are killing, but why. Now, this is not meaning any insult to anyone, rather then just a simple observation on my part. Perhaps if you're unsure you could get the attention of a noble or squire and speak to them about what they wish you to do.

-Cuar

Cuar,

Now I'm a long shot from being an individual with scholarly persuits. But it seems to me that there were a few people having a discusssion and there were some disagreements and misunderstandings as people often have.

But in a world where you can't take a trip to the privy without everyone you pass telling you to "die loudly" I don't see an issue with disagreeing with one another or debating topics like this in a public manner.

Basically, we're adults having a conversation. If your skin isn't thick enough to have a heated discussion or listen to one, best keep yourself out of it.

I don't know if the "lost track of what you're fighting for" comment was directed at me or not, but I assure you I am well aware of what I do and why I do it.

My friends.. step back.. take a breath. We are all on the same side. Lets end this public conversation here. Those involved in what happened, you were just reminded why we do what we to. So that those situations wont happen again. Dorian people are getting on you when they havent told you the whole story. Ill tell you shortly. For now I request this gets discussed in person.

Grim

Why is conflict in a discussion a bad thing? I am not offended. Nobody involved has degraded to threats and such. We're in a tough world, nothing wrong with a little tough conversation.

Back