Funding the town box

Keallit

Artisan
I have a suggestion that I think would be extremely beneficial to everyone. Our community is full of crafters, not just magical or alchemical. I propose once a gathering we have an auction of goods or services. Part (or all depending on the donor) of the proceeds can go to the town box. We're already holding auctions for magical items, why not an auction for mundane items we need anyway to help support our local crafters and town box

-Locke

Can you elaborate a little more? I'm just not sure I understand, as what items would be auctioned off, and do you mean more sold off?

-Cass

Sounds like you're looking for people to produce some mundane, but pretty and/or useful items to auction off to feed the town box? I certainly wouldn't mind donating some jewelry or leather goods, especially if I get a cut of the auction price. Perhaps half or a quarter could go back to the crafter?

Liam

Liam, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Why not do a mundane auction for things we bake/craft/create anyway for everyone's benefit? Something that funds crafters, town box, and someone walks away with something nice

-Locke

Another suggestion ... currently I believe the town box gets the remainder of the magical items auction split. Perhaps we could have the box get it's own share of the auction in addition to the leftover silver?

All excellent suggestions! Honestly, it would be nice to make sure there's always funds for potions and the like, plus having something for new adventurers to start off with. I am willing to put forth goods for this endeavor.
-Auryn

Having listened to the dreaming of a lot of realms before I started adventuring I would suggest that giving the town box a share is a bad idea. It tends to harm younger adventurers who need the coin the most as well as penalize travelers who generally do not benefit from a box.

That said I love Locke's idea, and letting the box take care of the rounding errors is always helpful.

I would like to suggest two things.

First - Administration - I think that the box administer should rotate around, I'm happy to create the safe location for the box each Market but it would be good to have the person in charge of accessing the box and providing items from it to migrate around. This keeps it from feeling like a slush fund for the town leadership.

Second - Tracking - We need to maintain a public ledger, a 'come see me when I don't happen to be busy if you want to see what's inside' really isn't a good system for accountability. The box should always be well protected so the advantage of letting everyone see what's in it out weighs any concern from robbers. I suggest a rotating series of scribes to track each market's transactions. I will personally fund this by paying the scribe of the weekend 5 silvers to track the market's happenings and provide an update (either through myself or someone else)

Further I think we should track contribution and keep the amount contributed public, this includes keeping track of what portion is from left-overs from the town split. We should track this by market and an overall 'ledger' and allow those that have contributed to access resources if needed. perhaps at a 2:1 ratio. (IE Zihr has contributed 4000 Coppers worth of gold and production and needs some antidotes for a personal quest he can 'buy' them from the town box for 40 coppers a piece from his donation total, assuming we have any) This also means the box generates a 'profit' the more it's used but allows for a lot of flexibility. All contributions should rate exactly production cost Ritual Scrolls should probably not be for sale but available for use for spellcrafting outside of Town Endeavors.

I really think tracking can make supporting the town box a point of pride (I know I'd be wanting to be the top giver!) and we can use some of the suggested donations from Locke as prizes. In example, who ever donates the most this market wins this hat I made, or stole from Glaive, because that guy has an awesome hat.

The real question that comes to mind is who can give from the town box for non-town projects, for example someone new comes to town and needs 5 small healing potions. Can I give them potions? How about Gerty? Liam maybe? we need to have some rules to decide what's fair game for such uses, or even to determine what the standard is.

Thanks for listening!

-Kallith

Last edited:
If a ledger for the town box is the way we as a community choose to go, I can keep note of it. My being unable to go in the ward or lock that Kallith provides for it would be an extra step of security for the box as well. I believe this may be something that should be decided on in person at the next gathering, perhaps at tea time?

I also like the idea of the auction to support the town box, along with the crafters. I think it should be agreed upon what percentage of the proceeds to go the box before the auction so people are aware of how much of their bindings are going towards the crafter and how much towards the box. It could also be decided on a per item basis by theseller, so long as it's announced at the time the item is being bid upon. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Back