Future Event questions

wolfan

I have a question about the upcoming events at Ashbury. I noticed on the event list that there are three coming up. The on in June is marked as Low Level Campaigns. I am hoping to get a feel for weather or not a new character would feel comfortable at the events not marked that way. I have a lot of experience LARP-ing but am new to Alliance. Are there often a lot of lower level people or do they generally just stick to the events marked Low Level?

I was planning on coming team-less. In some LARPs I have seen this work because there weren't many teams or the teams were very accepting of new members or there was just one mass of people and the town was one whole team. In other LARPs I have seen this go badly because the teams are extremely tightly knit and/or every "mod" needs 5-8 people ( or something ). Which one is Alliance and are there groups on here that generally look for members a lot?

I guess I'm just trying to get a feeling of what to expect.

-Vinnie

I'd like to point out, right off the bat (and not so much for you as for other new players that might see this thread and read it), that the answer that you get (because you specifically asked about Ashbury) won't necessarily be true for all chapters.

I have heard from many, many people that Ashbury is more 'team based,' with groups of PC 'teams,' but I have never been to an Ashbury event. On the West Coast, the 'team' mentality isn't very strong, and frequently 'the town' becomes the team, and while there are groups that are somewhat exclusive, you can function reasonably well as an 'independent' player for a few games (though your game will probably be improved by joining a group, it is a social game after all).

The low level campaign has been put on hold but HQ is still having a low level event.

And yes admittedly Ashbury tends to be more team centric, but anyone can grab a mod hook and throw together an ad hoc group to go out there. Most plot teams I've ever played under - HQ included - also puts out stuff specifically for new players.

The advice in the rulebook is true. If you sit there and wait for something to come to you, you might be waiting a while. But if you are active and seek out things to do, you'll usually find it.

The HQ chapter will have a low level event in June, this will not be a seperate campaign but a low level event set in the Plains of Rage in the Ashbury continuity. This would be a perfect time for you to come check the game out if you want to PC your first event and don't know anyone, though we make an effort at every event we run to have encounters specifically geared towards low level and new players. The Ashbury game does have some large established teams, but a motivated player who wants to get involved in the plot does not need to me on a team or in a guild to do so. Hope to meet you soon!

-toddo
Alliance HQ Head of Plot

Regarding roleplay, you can absolutely show up as a character at any level, get involved, and have a blast.

Regarding combat, not so much. There will be some but you'll have to pick and choose. At Ashbury events, average player level tends to be around 18 I think. It's very tough for a level 1 character to fight next to a level 18 character in this system. There would be low level monsters out there but there would also be monsters you have no business fighting, especially not without a team.

Part of it also depends on your class & build IMO. A 15 build celestial scholar (no weapons) would be the worst combat character while a fighter with polearm and archery or sword, shield, and thrown weapon could get involved in a ton more combat than the scholar could. You do get to rewrite your character after your first event (only) so you could take weapon skills at 15 build, drop them, and then build a caster when you have 25 build (after your first event) if you wanted.

Teams and relationships dominate so while I'm sure plot would try to throw a low level mod your way you may not get to be a major player if you know what I mean. You will find people not on teams and the town does stick together so you will have company. Maybe just not a lot of mod company and maybe not people to watch your back in combat. Not saying you can't find a mod or someone to watch your back but chances are much better at the low level event than at a regular event.

As for teams welcoming you and accepting new members, you probably could find a team your first event but I personally would not. There are a number of teams and some will be more fun to play with than others...

So definitely go for the low level weekend. Consider NPCing the higher level weekends unless you're willing to be underpowered combat-wise.

none of my characters have ever been on a "team" at ashbury and i've been playing there for many years and do just fine and have alot of fun. I find it quite easy to just role play with folks and end up being asked to come on a module with another team or group of fellow solo adventurers. it just depends on your character type. if you are anti-social in game, you probably won't see the same results as I am referring to.

As far as Low Level games go at HQ (Ashbury), they are the best and most fun events (IMHO). There aren't any teams because most of the characters are too low level to have formed those relationships yet. It's a bunch of random adventurers trying to figure out how to survive the weekend and solve X problems.

regardless, if you are still a little wary, come NPC, it's free after membership dues, and there's no better way to learn the game and have loads of fun doing it.

Although there is somewhat of a 'team' element to almost any LARP, it is up to you to put forth an effort to have fun. My first event at Ashbury was with me travelling by myself from California. And by the time the big, climatic battle happened, I was in a position to destroy the entire town's attempt to close the Arch - not by my choosing of course... ;)

markusdark said:
Although there is somewhat of a 'team' element to almost any LARP, it is up to you to put forth an effort to have fun. My first event at Ashbury was with me travelling by myself from California. And by the time the big, climatic battle happened, I was in a position to destroy the entire town's attempt to close the Arch - not by my choosing of course... ;)

And he's still upset that I left his character out of the novel!

The Ashbury low level will be as low as you can get! EVERYONE starts with 15 build, so every single one will be a brand new character. It should be great fun.

Fearless Leader said:
markusdark said:

And he's still upset that I left his character out of the novel!

The Ashbury low level will be as low as you can get! EVERYONE starts with 15 build, so every single one will be a brand new character. It should be great fun.

You mean the one coming up in June? Because that does sound like a lot of fun.

Back