Game Mechanics

I think LARP sounds really fun, but I'm intimidated by the mechanics. How do more experienced LARPers keep track of Armor points, Body Points, and game effects? It seems impossible to be able to call out damage, count your own damage, and time any effects on you, all during live combat.

Hey there! I'm also a new player so I'll weigh in my experience after my first few games! Admittedly the keeping track of math thing is a bit difficult, and yes, it can be pretty overwhelming. The exact mechanics for spells are something that have been confusing and given me a few flubs here and there.

However, with a little bit of practice you can pretty much "guesstimate" your incoming damage as an NPC. Most of the time as a PC you won't be getting hit so frequently that you can't easily keep track of the numbers. If you start to get overwhelmed with numbers, it's generally easiest to assume that you're down, especially as an NPC. The whole "doing math while being beaten with foam" aspect of the game is one of the areas that has to be taken with a grain of salt because unless you're some kind of savant you're gonna have to just do your best and err on the side of being a good sport.

Another thing is that (almost) everyone in this game is a really really good sport. They know its a game and if you start to get overwhelmed they'll help you out! You should DEFINITELY NPC a few games before you get going with your PC. I got a little over-excited and PC'ed after only one NPC game and now that I'm bit deeper in the game I really wish I had given myself a better idea of my play style before I made my main character.

In the end though, I know you can do it! It SOUNDS like too much at first (when I first read it I was like, NO WAY) but it's really manageable.

Hope that helped!

Another thing to keep in mind is that no one is going to be upset with you if you quickly ask "what does that do?" when struck with an effect you don't recognize. We have a system that allows for a very wide amount of variety in terms of just what might be coming at you - especially if you're an NPC - and it does take practice to remember it all! So don't feel intimidated or bad if someone throws something esoteric at you and you need to ask.

Other than that, I completely concur with the idea that you should consider NPCing for a game or two before taking the plunge! It offers a much broader scope of experiences to test and try out, and if you get overwhelmed and just decide to be dead, that's fine - there's an infinite number of monsters, and you can always just try again. Best of all, it's cheaper!

Check in on the chapter forum for the game that's nearest you, and someone on your chapter's staff will be happy to contact you and walk you through the basics. Good luck, and welcome to Alliance LARP - hope to see you on the field!

My single best piece of advice is "if you aren't sure if you should fall down or not, fall down." You can always figure it out from the ground.

Secondary to that is, while dramatic acting when dying/falling down can add great flair to combat, there's a time and a place for it. Above all, be safe. If it's safer to take a knee, bow your head and put your arms up to protect your head and neck from injury, do that. If the situation allows a dramatic "ARRRRRGgghhhhhhh" and flop and you want to do that, then go for it.

Back