Gatherings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elinor arrives in short order to the outside of the sanctum. She's reviewed the map five or six times already, but she's determined to commit it to memory. If Jinn had taught her anything, it was that paper wasn't to be relied upon.

She glances up and down the street, humming quietly. She's itchy to get going, the twisting, anxious feeling in her belly growing worse by the minute. If they could just get on the road, it would at least keep her mind off the steady stream of what-if's. She smiles to herself. Well, if the constant travel doesn't do it, I'm sure Myrdin's jokes will be distracting enough.

Ruki emerged from the Sanctum after what felt like a year, as the sun and cool fall breeze hit him, he stretched his arms and yawned.

"Good... whatever time of day it is to you Eli," he nodded. "You're looking... anxious. Everything ok?"

Cursing herself for being slightly startled, Elly tries to shake the tension from her shoulders. "Morning, Ruki. Anxiety is a constant state of being for some of us, I'm afraid," she says with a smile. "Going on a bit of a trip. Back to my hometown. To... see if it's still standing." The smile still remains, but her face is tight. "Just waiting for my friends to hurry up!"

"Well, hopefully the others arrive soon," he smiled. "And where might your hometown be? Is the place in danger? Although, I guess everywhere is in danger when you take the Dark Reaches into account."

"It's southeast of Calanhelm. And... maybe?" Her eyes don't leave the ground. "That's why I left, actually. I was away from town for all of ten minutes and when I came back, everything was in flames. So I... ran." She takes a deep breath. "I need to know what happened. If my brother's still alive. Or not, I don't know," she says, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Don't feel bad about running," Ruki sighed closing his eyes. "We are all running or ran from something at some point. What matters is that you're going back."

He took a moment before continuing, "I hope that you find your brother, and that your home is not too badly damaged. And if it is, do not beat yourself up. You ran for a reason and ended up here. I was in the same boat years ago. We are exactly where we need to be, because who else is going to stop the end of the world?" Ruki patted Elly on the shoulder, "It's going to be ok. And if you ever need assistance, do not hesitate to ask."

"That's kind, Ruki, thank you," she says. "To be honest, being at the Lux has been good for me. I know things aren't really going all that smoothly at the moment, what with feylords and dragons and liches... but I feel like I have a purpose here." She gestures to the building behind her. "This place gives me something to aspire to. I look at you and Jinn, Calan, Rohnan, Evo... you all have so much you can do. You all help people. So maybe... maybe if I can't help my old home, maybe I can help the new one."

"Being here definitely gives you a purpose," he agreed. "Before I grouped up with everyone, I was an uneducated messenger in High Port with a pregnant wife at home. But you deliver a letter to the right person, take a wrong turn somewhere you shouldn't and it'll drastically change your life. Ideally for the better."

Ruki smiled at hearing that he helps, as at the end of the day, that's all he's trying to do. "And when I look to you and your friends, I see the future. You're all going to make a difference one day, I guarantee it. The energy that you all bring to the war effort is something those of us who have been fighting for years desperately need."

Calan staggers up with a smile on his face.

“Ruki,” calan stops to steady himself a moment. He closes his eyes and re opens them as if to focus on the pair in front of him.

“Ruki is absolutely correct. You.” He raised his fist to his mouth.
“You are exactly what we need around here. “
He pauses a second.
“Say you have a nice sash, did you know that?”
Calan re-steadies himself again.

“Don’t sell yourself short. You guys are great!”
He says excitedly while pointing at Elli.

Elly raises an eyebrow, ducking the sudden finger jab in her direction. "Oh dear. Ruki, I'd like to retract my previous statement. The only thing Calan appears to be helping is helping himself to Intoxicants." She laughs and makes a show of putting her hands on her hips and shaking her index finger at him. "Now, now, Calan, what would the magistrate say about such public disorderly conduct?"

Ruki laughs, "I'm sure the magistrate would approve. He's not being too disorderly, and there are most definitely worse ways to blow off steam. All things considered, I'm surprised there isn't a bigger issue with intoxicate and hallucinates among the adventurers."

Calans head twists to the side as he squints at the pair.

“Tell you what. When I see said person I will put the inquiry forward on your behalf.”

Calan looks about while steadying himself.

“Has anyone seen Evo?”

Trying to stifle her giggling, she stands between Calan and the sanctum doors. "Shhh, you are in enough trouble with Evo already!" She cocks her head curiously at Ruki. "I'd have thought the literal magistrate would be a stickler for decorum, but maybe I don't know him that well?"

Calan leans on Ruki and whispers. “I am in trouble again? Did they find the paste of stickiness in the lavatories already?”

Calan stumbled a bit and collapsed onto the ground. He opened up the pouch on his side and pulled out a random bottle. He squints at the label before shrugging indifferently and downing the bottle. His face winces in pain for a second and he holds his stomach before pulling out another bottle where he repeated the process. This time his face shows relief.

“Did I hear you say you’re gonna go on an adventure Elinor?”

"Er - yes." Elinor can't decide whether to sit or hover awkwardly over Calan's sprawled body. She finds middle ground in a crouch. "I'm going home. To Brighton. See if my brother's still alive, maybe figure out what happened there." She laughs and offers him a hand up, "I suppose you're still grounded?"

Calan takes Elinor's hand to be lifted up. " well in the sense that I am on the ground yeah I guess you could say I am grounded. in terms of my household. I am not so much grounded but for sure the one that gets the dirty looks from."
Calan gestures with one hand as though something was in it and he was trying to determine its weight.
" They all mean well though, Id stand in front of an obliterate for each and every person in my house. I know they would do the same for me and right now they are all disappointed I didn't give them the chance to do so."

Calan claps the human on the shoulder.

"family right? so if your brother is alive what then?

he seems a little more steady. but also as though he is looking off at something in the sky.

Calan jumps a little startled by the sudden apparition of the elf known as Myrdin.

"By waythunes left nut, where did you come from?"

Calan reaches out to see if the elf was actually there and gives a nod of satisfaction upon feeling his shirt.

Elinor gestures at Calan. "Myrdin, meet ten-drink Calan. He's very nice but a little unbalanced."

"And..." Her eyes take on a far-away look. "If I find him, I'll just have to figure it out. Trying not to get my hopes up... just in case."

Adraxis strolls over and stands near Myrdin. The Oathsworn is nomming on spoonfuls of lasagna that he's eating out of a tankard.

"Calan," he nods in greeting.
"Ruki," he nods.
"Ready to go, Elly?" he asks. "We should hit the road soon and see if we can grab Gen on the way. I don't think she'd want to miss this if you want a fourth."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back