Hammer Outfitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myhkul

Artisan
Wandering the streets, Myhkus was looking for the Hammer Outfitters. He had heard rumors in the tavern that there might be a place he could find a corner of a forge to use. His skill as an iron crafter was only very modest, but it suited him well. More people needed hinges and horseshoes than needed fine swords. Plus working the anvil set his mind free. And he had much to think on. He had seen no sign yet of the one he had hoped to find. And the city was larger than the had expected and filled with strange peoples. Perhaps this was to be a much longer task that he thought, and the patience of working raw iron into simple tools would be his most useful skill after all.

After asking a few people in the market place, you are directed towards a building just off to the side. As you approach you hear the the tell tale clinging of metal being hammered. Stepping through the doorway into a shop, the warmth inside washes over you. Beyond the front counter you see two people working away over their anvils, a tall broad shouldered male in simple clothes and a leather apron is watching over one of them. A child around 12 comes from the back with a pail of coal, tossing a scoop into the forge he gives the bellows a couple pumps. Seeing you he says something to the tall man.

Walking up to the counter he gives you a smile, "Welcome to the Bellow Roar, how can I help you today?"

"Well..." Myhkus scratches his chest as he thinks how best to explain.

"If you have room at your forge I would offer some of my time in trade. Such simple tools that I can turn my hand to would be yours for whatever price they would bring. Surely the people of the city need hinges and horseshoes as much as the hero's need swords and armor. I need the practice and the peace of mind that the rhythm of the anvil brings."

Shifting his weight from foot to foot, Myhkus tried to control his impatience.
If not this forge, the surely somewhere in a city this size there is one that will let him practice his skills in exchange for his producing for them simple needful things.
If not this forge, then another...

Taking a moment to watch you, "Sure, I've got the space and I've got the work." Extending his hand towards you, "the name is Lorll." Calling over his shoulder, "Botin!" The kid shoveling coal earlier comes hoping over, "See that this gentleman get settled in at the spare anvil."

Looking back at you, "I'll provide the space and materials, you provide the skill and labour. Sounds good?"

"Done and done, Sir!
My thanks to you."

Setting aside his harness and weapons, Myhkus rubs his hands together eagerly.

"Lead away Boding, it has been far too long since I have turned my hand to good honest craft!"

Stepping back and wiping sweat from his face and head with a damp cloth, Myhkus straightens slowly. The kinks in his back were a small price to pay for the satisfaction of another simple job well done. The hinges for the crofters door had taken longer than he had planned, but had turned out better than he had expected. While simple and functional, they showed the time that had gone into them in the simple curve of their lines, and the small bits of engraving that had been added. Perhaps he would yet gain enough skill to bring a smile to the face of his old mentor. Perhaps. With that he set down the cloth, picked up the next commission piece, and moved back toward the heat of the forge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back