Hello

I'm new here but not new to Boffer LARPS. Your LARP looks very cool but sadly I live in California and I see that you have NO Chapters out here. The only LARPs I get to play in is Vampire and I really miss some of the boffer style LARPs. (Mostly for the cool costuming.) There was an IFGS chapter up here years ago but it's gone now. Any chance of getting one out here? I live in Northern Cali and all the decent larps are in South Cali. I loved the costumes I saw btw.

Actually, we do have a group based out of San Francisco, not sure of where exactly they're playing these days. :D

SF is a bit far since I'm nearer to Sacramento. But is there anyone who could give me advice on how to make a decent Tiefling costume? I'm looking for advice on how to do horns, bodypaint and a forked tail. I'm not happy with just some cheapo storebought secondhand tail. :p I'd rather make something decent looking. I have no cool boffer LARPS in the area but at least I'd have a cool costume for Halloween or somesuch. I wouldn't mind perhaps trying to get a boffer LARP started but I don't think I'm the kind of guy to be in charge of an operation like that. I've got the free time, just not the mindset. I'd get all stressed out I think. But is there anyone who can give me advice on costume creation?

TieflingRogue said:
is there anyone who could give me advice on how to make a decent Tiefling costume?

As far as creating a "demon like" character Alliance does have the scavenger race where you can take a real animal and make it humanoid like for purposes for a particular race. For example I would say that a bat like animal or sting ray perhaps to try and simulate as close to what you need for a race of your choice.

Part of the reason for it having to be a real animal is to avoid any association to a religion. This way it avoids a potential offense to other players personal beliefs.

One Idea to possibly come close to what you want is to design armor or clothing that creates an abstract idea for what you want your character's personality to be like. Think self expression through fashionable clothing or equipment; for example a helmet with horns on it or a coat with a long thin coat tail that forks at the end.

Be careful though and ask your a local chapter if it is OK to do this as it's approaching the limits of the rules.

B~>

But fantasy games also have things like magic, multiple gods and angels and demons and undead. Not to mention animal people could indeed be insulting to someone's religion anyway. Some people believe that humans are gods chosen people because of things like being able to walk upright, ability to handle tools and sentient though. Now what happens if animal people come along? See the problem? I also saw a tiger loooking cat person and in Hindu/India Rakshasha are part of their beliefs on demons. Some people also view wolves and black cats as evil. No matter what you do someone will be offended, which isn't to say that you shouldn't try and be sensitive but past a certain point it gets silly. I don't see why a half-demon type would be so out of place. I only asked HOW I could make a decent devil tail anyway. If I can't play what I want to play I don't think I'd play anyway. As is I'm really only asking for ideas on how to make a costume for my own use anyway. Any ideas?

Yes it is possible to associate animals with religions, but that is not quite as likely as associating mythical creatures with religions. In Alliance there is no God and no religion, quite frankly I doubt I would want to play a larp with religion because of the of the RP that it might require.

The rulebook does have a more throughout explanation of this however. Many of the questions that you are asking Tiefling really would be answered much more straightforwardly with a rulebook. I encourage you to consider it as its not an expensive book to buy.

As for the costuming honestly because Alliance players wouldn't be costuming demon character I'm not sure if we could really help you. But I wish you the best luck!

If there is no God or religion then how do clerics work their powers? So there are NO demons or angels whatsoever? What about undead? I still don't see why someone couldn't help me figure out how to make a decent tail and then I add on some things. I don't think some bible thumper is going to burn you at the stake because you know how to make a devil tail and if they are, then they need to seriously chill out, sorry if that offends anyone but I think it's being taken to extremes here. If you guys were portraying evil in a positive light then I could definitely see a problem there.

Is this the way you treat all newbies? I could read the rulebook but I'm not going to buy a book for a game I might not like or even get to play. Stop trying to get me to buy it.

do i attempt to educate them that they will be far less frustrated learing about the game by investing in the rule book that i feel after they have read they will have a better understanding of and desire to play the game, yes. yes i do.

The problem is that I do not believe I can read the rulebook without buying it. If I must buy it to learn anything because no one will answer my questions that actually does not make me want to buy it any more than I did before, in fact it would make me want to buy it even less.

Hello,

It seems like you have a healthy interest in the game and plenty of good questions. I would recommend that you find a contact person for the SF chapter, since it is the closest chapter to you, and most likely the game that you would play if you decide you want to.

I'm sure no one means to sound like a total prick to a potential player. You clearly just have a bunch of questions and they might get answered better via email, rather than in a public forum.

Here is the Alliance SF link: http://www.alliancesf.net

Good luck,
Gary

just as i am sure an owner is not implying that a player who is offering an opinion on how best to learn about the game is sounding like a total prick.

To be honest, I hadn't even read your comments.

I only noticed this person's question "Is this the way you treat all newbies?".

Sorry if there seemed to be a flame. Wasn't intentional.

I beat all new people with a stick.

But seriously.

People will answer questions here, but the best way to learn about the game from a completely outside and new perspective is to talk face to face with someone that knows the game, or to read the book. Or to just show up and play as an NPC.

Does that mean you need to buy the book.

No.

You can contact the SF chapter, as they are the closest chapter to you. They might know someone close to you that plays in their chapter. (Lots of people drive over 7-8 hours to go to a game) You might be able to get in contact with that person and meet up for lunch and ask your questions, or borrow a rulebook.

That and we are a bunch of sarcastic bastards. Which translates fantastically well on online forums.

All of which I completely blame on scott.

If you want to offend Hindu worshippers you could create a Cow scavenger...

But, seriously. The whole "no religion" schtick that Alliance has is a conservative attempt to not offend players or those close to players. There are other LARPs that do have religions, it is just that Alliance attempts to be as conservative as possible when it comes to alienating players.

As for where to play I strongly encourage you to get in contact with the San Francisco chapter. I don't know where they play, but I bet there might be players willing to help with transportation. Also, Sacramento to San Francisco isn't that far away for a weekend event, is it? We normally play from Friday to Sunday, so a weekend of RP for a 2-3 hour car trip can't be too bad, eh? In fact, we actually get some San Francisco players coming to our Seattle event and vice versa every now and then. (I haven't had the pleasure of playing at SF, though. :( )

If you are interested in playing, and you are ok with playing the assigned PC available races/classes, then I seriously do recommend at least getting in contact with the SF people. They are a bunch of fun and friendly people that would undoubtedly like to hear from a new player.

How often do people play/get together for games? Or is that dependant upon the chapter? Should I buy the rulebook am I able to make changes if I wanted to run my own LARP or should I buy a more generic LARP rulesbook or come up with my own rules?

TieflingRogue said:
How often do people play/get together for games? Or is that dependant upon the chapter? Should I buy the rulebook am I able to make changes if I wanted to run my own LARP or should I buy a more generic LARP rulesbook or come up with my own rules?

Usually you would need to check with the chapter that would be close to you for their schedule so to answer your first/second question yes it all depends on the chapter. If you truly want to PC or for that matter NPC and donate your time to the game it's always good to read up on the rulebook but if you NPC usually NPC camp will show you the basic ropes and see how quickly you pick up the game.

As far as running your own larp, if you have your own set of rules it's up to you to run your game but as far as running an alliance game and actually opening a chapter in your area Mike V or if you looking at people screen names he goes by Fearless Leader would be the person to contact if you wish to join the Alliance Larp family.

There are several larp rules all over the place and it's a matter of finding one that fits your style. The benifit of the Alliance Larp is it's transfer options. The chance for your character to goto another chapter and know they use the same rules is one of the biggest benifits to the game.

Justin H-

Ok. Sounds good. Yeah I have some aspirations to try and create/run my own LARP with all the coolness of the boffer larp costumes but no need of boffer weapons. I do like boffer weapons, its just most of the people I know don't. They don't like it already when long combats take time away from RP in WoD larps so I don't see them liking the idea of being thawked with weapons. I'm still pretty set on a tiefling like PC. Now I'm curious, is the problem it's origin or it's appearance? I do have some other concepts that would work. I am an avid lover of black cats and wolves so that fits the scavenger race, I bet a lizardman type would fit that too? Or a Snake-person like a Yaun-ti? I love Gargoyles as well but I bet that's a monster race. So what rulebook is used and where can I find it should I decide to purchase it?

Back