Help with Character Spell Slots

Breten

Artisan
So after reading this thread, I have some questions:

viewtopic.php?f=212&t=13878

As another of the Calgary Chapter members, I thought I had a handle on Spell Slots, but gotta admit I'm more confused by all this now. I work in engineering and have seen less complicated figures and equations in my line of business. :noway:

So I'm just giong to throw this out there for some help as it looks like I need to restructire my girlfriend's character. So I'll layout what exactly we did and if someone can help me figure out where she should be and restructure her to be correct that would help out lot.s

At Build this is what we gave her:

Gypsy Artisan
Read/Write
First Aid
Healing Arts
Create Potion 1
3 lvl 1 slots: L1 L1 L1

After her first event (Masquearde) she gained 5 more BP and nothing was bought.

After the second event (Tavern) she gained another 5BP, so had 10 to spend prior to the first weekend event. For this we bought another Create Potion and 2 lvl 1 slots and 2 lvl 2 slots for this:

Gypsy Artisan (level 2)
Read/Write
First Aid
Healing Arts
Create Potion 2
5 lvl 1 slots: L1 L1 L1 L1 L1
2 lvl 2 slots: L2 L2

So my plan for the next event was to purchase another level 1 giving her 6 level 1's, 3 level 2's and a level 3, but this looks clearly wrong as described in the details above. She's currently got 12 BP to spend so I could use some help getting her legal. She's also decided she wants to go with a more combat oriented character as she's never really gamed before let alone LaARPed and now that she's been in it she knows what she wants to do.

Her current "approved" build is this:

Gypsy Artisan (level 3)
Read/Write
First Aid
Healing Arts
Create Potion 2
5 lvl 1 slots: L1 L1 L1 L1 L1
2 lvl 2 slots: L2 L2
And she has 12BP to spend for the July Weekend.

Looks like you have 7 build in spells right now, and another 12 potentially there.

That first 7 build must be spent as 3 firsts, 2 seconds and 1 third. From that point her next spells must be (in order) a first, second, third and fourth, which would cost 6 more build. From that point you begin to have some options, although what order those options come in is the subject of some debate, it would seem.

That should be 9BP for the first slots not 7 right? 3lvl 1= 3pts, 2 lvl 2= 4 points and a lvl 3 = 2 points. She's an artisan so lvl 2 is 2 points not 1.

Just confirming. But thanks so much for the help, it can be a bit daunting, especially for people who are new to gaming in general.

I didn't register that she's an artisan, and not a scholar, so yeah, I gave you the scholar math.

Her seven build then gets her 3 at first and 2 at second; she must next buy a third level spell, then first through fourth as I said previously. If she bought up to her fourth level spell she would have 4 build left.

Also, I read very literally, and I've had other scholars in our chapter tell me that purchasing many Level 1s without having Level 2s is fine and dandy, which contradicts what I've read (hence the thread you linked to where I'm trying to get a handle on it).

Since she got those approved (and another scholar in our chapter told me the same thing), it seems to me that our new chapter also feels that way. Maybe the 'style' of magic is just a little different in Calandonia?

The way you buy spells is not a flavor thing, it's a part of the rules that have to be maintained equally in every chapter. It's what makes us able to transfer between games, which is one of the big things that makes us an Alliance.

In other words, you have to do the pyramid/column thing. Anyone who told you otherwise was mistaken.

KyleSchmelz said:
In other words, you have to do the pyramid/column thing. Anyone who told you otherwise was mistaken.

*points to the first post* it's not a matter of who told who what, it's a matter of what got approved.

If it was mistakenly approved, (interpreted in a manner inconsistent with the way the rest of the chapters allow build expenditures, due to misleading wording) it doesn't matter that it got approved. It needs to be changed to comply to the existing clarified rules.

It was all mistakenly approved. Most of the Spellcasters in the Chapter got emails this week where logistics adjusted the Spell Slot builds. It's just a case of EVERYONE being new and not completely understanding things. Cory had just sent out updates to the characters which included these changes and I hadn't seen the character by the time I posted this, so logistics did it all, but it helped me understand how things have to or should be done.

There's gonna be a few learning curves for the Chapter, we just had our 4th event and first weekend event so we're getting there.

Hey, so I have a question about this, and since this thread was here already, I thought I'd just ask here. I hope that's cool with everyone! XD

From what I understand in the rulebook, the max number of spells you're required to have per row is four once you get to level 4. So let's say I want four level six spells. Do I need four of each level prior to it, or does it need to maintain the pyramid shape?

For example:

OR

?

I also need to know in what order I need to buy them in. Thanks all

A pyramid shape is only necessary until you reach a base of 4; after that, columns shape is okay. However, you're not allowed to build a large base before building up, so the soonest you could have 4 6th level spells would be when your column looks like:

That is 67 build for a scholar with nothing but the spells and prereqs bought.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
A pyramid shape is only necessary until you reach a base of 4; after that, columns shape is okay. However, you're not allowed to build a large base before building up, so the soonest you could have 4 6th level spells would be when your column looks like:

That is 67 build for a scholar with nothing but the spells and prereqs bought.

Thank you! :)

In what order do I need to get the spells, or can it be done several ways?

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
The column above would be purchased as 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 4, 5, 6, 7, 5, 6, 7, 8, 6

Awesome! Thanks! :D

As an additional note, if you tell your logistics team "I'd like to buy spells so that I can get my tree into this shape, please spend my build as necessary to do that," they'll probably accommodate you without having to do all of the work figuring out how to buy your spells correctly. It's nice to know how the tree system works rules-wise, but it's one of the more confusing things in the rulebook, so it can be circumvented by leaning on your chapter's staff a little.

Back