HELP!

That would be freakin sweet! Makes sense, so I don't think there'd be a problem because they look different enough from straight up elf ears as to not confuse anyone.

They aren't required to wear different ears but as long as you have the distinctive feathers clearly showing that your a biata I don't see why that wouldn't work...

I'm fairly certain that as you are not an elf, stone elf, dark elf, mystic wood elf, or scavenger you cannot wear ears.

Regardless of whether they are big giant floppy elf ears, or tiny ear tips.

But I can't really come up with a good definitive "in the rulebook" reason.

I also don't have one in front of me.

I wouldn't wear them. Biata have round ears-- as evidenced by the fact the rule book doesn't require them to have ear-reps and every biata in game right now has rounded ears (or at least their natural ears regardless of the pointiness).

IG as a Biata i'd consider any other Biata a deformed freak for having ears like those-- my reaction would be based off of the personality of the character wearing them but would probably run from pity to disgust.

The Rulebook may say Biata are descended from Stone Elves but they're not Elves anymore...
or else we'd get half price archery and have to wear ear tips. Personally, as a Marshal, i'd ask you to remove them for the reasons given on page 11 of the rulebook-- there are no half races, you may not dress to look like another race (purposefully or accidentally) and "every race must act and be identifiable as that race by all other players". And since Fake ears are the prosthetics for several other races I think it may lead to confusion.

Per the Disguise section towards the end of the book, you may not wear prosthetics that are used by another race. (Actually, it says no prosthetics that aren't of your race, but I've seen people use prosthetic scar stuff for a neat effect, which I'm ok with since it doesn't have the potential of confusing one race with another.) So, No, you may not do that.

Think about it this way: How would someone know that you're a Biata wearing Elf ears and not an Elf wearing Biata feathers?

No racial prosthetics.
~Matt,
IAAM

I knew there had to be something along those lines... thanks Matt.

The last comment that was made brings up sortof an interesting question for me though. What would happen if you are a different race and get mutilated for some plot reason or otherwise? How can you rep that without failing to look like your race? Like the extreame example of an Elf that gets its ear ripped off...

Hrm, Mutilate a pair of prostetics to be missing a piece?

Realistically, any mutilation is short lived given the level of magic healing (if nothing else a high level scholar might get sick of looking at the gaping wound and death/life you back to normal.

I mutilated one of the ears and just wear it that way. Apparently it does its job, because lots of people who don't know the character ask about his ear.

Having a mutilated prosthetic (that belongs on you due to race eg. elf ear) would be a really cool for some personaly plot in my opinion.

Lurin said:
Hrm, Mutilate a pair of prostetics to be missing a piece?

Realistically, any mutilation is short lived given the level of magic healing (if nothing else a high level scholar might get sick of looking at the gaping wound and death/life you back to normal.

I disagree on one level.

You can choose to not have the wound healed; and allow it to heal naturally. That makes it permanent and unhealable in game, even through ressurection.

-Ali

Like tattoos. I know lots of players who rep tattoos, including two of my characters. If we did not allow some leeway with the healing mechanics, all tattoos would have to be magically applied. <shudders, recalling a certain Jersey Tattoo Artist NPC.> Some are, but the players have the option to also have regular tattoos that don't need to be reneedled every ressurrection.

Kevar said:
Having a mutilated prosthetic (that belongs on you due to race eg. elf ear) would be a really cool for some personaly plot in my opinion.

The chopped off tip of Padraig's right horn would agree with you.

Wilde_Night said:
Like tattoos. I know lots of players who rep tattoos, including two of my characters. If we did not allow some leeway with the healing mechanics, all tattoos would have to be magically applied. <shudders, recalling a certain Jersey Tattoo Artist NPC.> Some are, but the players have the option to also have regular tattoos that don't need to be reneedled every ressurrection.

Question, how do you determin the difference between a "tattoo", war paint and a rit mark?

FOIG

Gilwing said:
Wilde_Night said:

Question, how do you determin the difference between a "tattoo", war paint and a rit mark?

You ask the person wearing it. Either an OOG "What do I see?" or your character can ask their character about it.

Telokh_Amdo said:
Gilwing said:
Wilde_Night said:

You ask the person wearing it. Either an OOG "What do I see?" or your character can ask their character about it.

Actually, if I recall correctly, most Ritual Marks simply look like a tattoo so, short of magical detection, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Besides... my understanding is that an injury heals naturally in ~28 days, provided no magical healing is performed. So, it would be perfectly reasonable for an adventurer to take a peaceful month, get a tattoo off stage, and show up at the next event, essentially permanently marked.

I'm not sure how that would work with resurrection, but wouldn't it become, essentially, a part of the person, and translate through?

Back