Higher Manifestation & Source Rituals

Banradi

Adept
Hi All,

Is there an intention that source rituals & the higher manifestation high magic abilities do not work together? I've talked to a few people, and have generally come up with the following thoughts:

Rituals with No Interaction
-------------------------------
Enhance Source - I would assume this interaction doesn't apply, given the explicit definition of Higher Manifestation only working on 1 element per purchase
Greater Source - I would assume this interaction doesn't apply, given the explicit definition of the ritual specifying "a Channeler may double the amount of a single Channeling packet used through this item" (emphasis mine)

Rituals that Might Interact
-----------------------------
Reinforce Armor, Channel Health, Channel Armor - While these rituals have a defined target type, the ritual itself only references the channeling pool. Example: If "Dain the Stone Sorcerer" has taken the Higher Manifestation High Magic for Stone and also has a stone source that's enchanted with the "Reinforce Armor" ritual, can they take advantage of this ritual without using their source (& channel armor through their palm)?

Best,
Ian

TLDR: Reinforce Armor, Channel Health, Channel Armor are usable while using Higher Manifestation. Enhance Source and Greater Source are not usable with Higher Manifestation.

Higher Manifestation
Passive. A character with this High Magic may Channel a specific Channeling element valid for their Channeling pool without using a Source in that hand. Only elements appropriate to the High Magic school may be chosen; i.e. you need Earth High Magic points to use Higher Manifestation for an Earth Channeling pool. This means that the character may Channel while holding an object (such as a weapon or shield) in their off hand. The hand selected to use Higher Manifestation must be marked with a symbol at least 1" x 1" on the back of the hand or a glove worn on that hand. This ability may be purchased multiple times to allow for multiple elements. Higher Manifestation may not be used to evoke Channeling pool in conjunction with a Source; if a Source is used, only elements appropriate to that Source may be manifested. While it lasts, this High Magic may be invoked every time the character Channels at the character’s choice. A character need not have any Source on their person to Channel while using this ability.

The bold-italicized line in the Higher Manifestation description makes me believe that Enhance Source and Greater Source do not work with Higher Manifestation. Both rituals specifically say they work with a specific source, and Higher manifestation makes it clear that you are not using a source when you use it.

Reinforce Armor, Channel Health, and Channel Armor all require a source as a ritual target, but do not require the use of a source to make use of the ritual charges. So being slight pedantic, Reinforce Armor, Channel Health, and Channel Armor also don't interact with Higher Manifestation, but that is irrelevant because those rituals do not require the use of source - i.e. you don't need to have a source in hand to use them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do not work together.

However, a player using Higher Manifestation could still opt to use a Source with rituals. The advantage is in choice. It makes Higher Manifestation provide an advantage of convenience, but it doesn’t take away the choice to use a Source.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back