i would like to know

Walgar

I hear parts of the "Code of Chivalry" when people feel that something from it covers what is happening at the time. But I dont know if ive ever herd the whole Code at once. I would like to know it. Could someone that is willing to hear my questions about it teach it to me.

Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

Walgar,

will you be in Vandlar this weekend?
If so, I will be happy to sit down with you

Shya

Thou shalt respect the weak and thou shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
Thou shalt love the country to which thou hast sworn fealty.
Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
Thou shalt make war against evil without cessation, and without mercy.
Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of the land.
Thou shalt never lie, and thou shalt remain faithful to thy word.
Thou shalt be generous, and give freely to others.
Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

Here they are Walgar my boy, in their entirety. Not a bad set of rules if you ask me.

Man-at-Arms Obadiah Pyrite
Vex Squad, Untiring Phalanx, Legion D

I know this may be strange comming from me I will be willing to teach you with cross thinking instead of the standard noble yap yap.

Zat

So if i understand its something like this

Defend the weak but show them honor.
Do not trun from the ways of you own people.
Never run away form a foe.
Fight evil as hard as you can all the time no matter what.
Show honor to the ways of others.
NEVER lie or break a oath.
Share all that you have.
Keep all of these ways all the places you go, and befor all the people you meet.

I rember hearing parts of this growing up and thinking it sounded strong. If I understand this I know that i could keep these ways as my own.

thank you Pyrite.

I will not be in Vandlar this weekend because im am in fairdale now. But i hope to speak with you agen Shya.

And i would be honored to hear anything that you would teach to me Zat.

Thank you all
Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

I think that is an apt summary Walgar. I also think you have lived by those values for all the time I have known you.

-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

Standard noble yip yap.. if I know Zat is repeating it word for word and not summarizing what it means, the way Walgar so aptly did.

Perhaps a good squires discussion would be to discuss the code and what it means to them in their OWN words?

Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

Thou shalt respect the weak and thou shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.

Respect weakness, in understanding that no man is an island; there are moments where someone else will be stronger than you, or you shall be stronger than them. Respect where someone else is weak, and in turn defend and uplift them with your own strength. In turn, they shall do the same for you.

Fealty by definition is your loyalty and sworn allegience to the land. In turn, you should also love this land; and by loving it, that would include the place, and the people as a whole. There may be a noble, a person, or a group of individuals that you disagree with or dislike. In the end, you both fight for the survival of the same place, so try to find common ground in that.

The enemy will always be at large; at times, there may be reason to save the people by calling a tactical retreat; but never, should you ever cower before the enemy; to show that cowardice is to give your enemy true power over you.

Wherever evil abounds you, or others like you, should be there to stamp out its wickedness. You will show no mercy to those who have committed such heinous crimes, for sadly those you show mercy to, will rise to stab you in the back at a second’s chance.

Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of the land.

You shall perform all duties asked of you thoroughly, and with your own moral regard, so long as they do not clash with the laws of the land.

You should never lie to improve your own gains, or someone else's; be it through arrogance, or to get yourself out of a situation by throwing another under the horse cart. If you are to make a promise and give your word to someone; stand by it through all things. This, however, comes with a price; never in turn give your word to someone if you cannot follow through on it; to do so is to lose your own honor.

Generosity is more than coin; a kind word of understanding can be just as important as the tunic off of your back. A warm fire to ward off the cold rain; all of these things represent generosity, including the treasure found to feed a hungry family.

Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

You are to follow these virtues wherever you go; that you are to uphold true justice, and keep valor, honor, and bravery in your heart always, and do not sway in the battle against injustice and evil.

Humbly,
Aislynn Ravenshire

Ravenshire when you speak this oath it feels me with Fire. I want to talk to you more about this, because some of your words are lost on me.
But even with the few missing the rest make me understand why there has NEVER been a foe that we could not stand up and meet. I hear nothing is any of this that i know would not be good to any of the people i have ever ment in all the lands i have seen.

IS there anyone that can hear me now that this oath is not good for there people?

Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

Walgar,
I am nothing but a commoner who had been lucky enough to walk in Ashbury during the times of the older nobility. For a short while, I traveled with Baron Olin, Natasha, Azura, and the rest of Nordenn; it was there, along with the rallying cries of Duke Aramis that I learned what this code truly meant.

I would recommend in turn learning it from Baron Ivan or Dame Glorianna; both of these nobles walk this path well.

-Aislynn Ravenshire

I am in good standing with both of them, I will talk with them also. But to me a oath from a common person or a warchife are the same.

Walgar

First one must ask what is the definition of weak? Indeed there are those who cannot assist themselves through no fault of their own. A soldier wounded in battle unable to bare arms again. An aged grandmother whose arthritis keeps her inside her home, unable to tend her fields. It could even be you, having fought in battle and suddenly finding yourself bleeding from a mortal wound.

Respecting the weak is respecting that while they are unable to do some things, they have strength in other areas. That Soldier may not be able to fight, but his knowledge of tactics is sound. The grandmother may not be able to garden, but inside she makes warm quilts for her village. And you... though are bleeding from a wound, earned that wound by fighting for your country.

And defending them... what does that mean? It for me means to help and assist. To care and to comfort. To defend their right to be respected as an equal, for though they may be "weak" they are not inferior. Defend them by doing what they are not able to do... to fight for that soldier... to work the garden for that grandmother, and to heal you and defend you from the enemy who would seek to harm you.

Everyone always finds the loophole in this one. One cannot have 2 masters. One must choose one to serve, and serve so unfalteringly. I swore Fealty to Icenia. Which means they are my people. I swore fealty to the nobles of Icenia, and they are me leiges. I swore fealty to the people of Nordenn, and it is to them that I am their servant. In swearing fealty to Icenia, I had to give up the oaths of my birth people... the Romani. In my oaths to Icenia, I include more than just the Romani as my people, it includes all the citizens to whom I serve.

And to love the country... To love our country is to be willing to die.. and to LIVE for your country. To serve its people, tend its land, and care for it so it may prosper. To seek to improve it with the actions of your life and for a noble, to improve it
by the service you do in the name of the lands you have sworn oaths to.

I am a Healer. I am not a fighter, and I am not a general of Armies. I have fought in battles on the plane of death and have been labeled coward. But I am no coward. In that battle I had to choose who lived and who died for we were low on lifespells... and in that hour I did not recoil from mine enemy... death. I am a guardian and a nurturer. I am a defender and a shepherd. To me it is NOT ignoble to call a tactical retreat to fight another day.

An enemy is one who threatens my country and the people to whom I have sworn to protect. My enemies are many. To not recoil before them means to face them with courage, and honor... and INTELLIGENCE. As a noble by my life or my death I serve the people. Should my death be necessary I will lay down my life for my country, with joy. But I will also not toss it aside in stupidity. For to LIVE for ones country is just as important.

Face your enemy with courage. Look it in the eye and let it know... you will face it on the field of battle with honor. And strive to defeat it as best as you can...

If you understand what is evil... you would not render it mercy. For Evil seeks to corrupt and to destory... it is in its very nature unable to repent, and therefore is not deserving of mercy or pity. I will wage war against evil with every breath of my body. This does not mean warmongering for all eternity... it means doing good, every day of your life. Being a Good and just person at all times, not just when someone watches.

It means obeying the laws and holding the code in your heart... and not allowing even one shadow into that light of goodness. It means allowing evil to hold no quarter and to oppose it with every action you do....

When I see this I think of all the adventurers who abhor necromancy and who seek vigilante justice.... Scrupulously... that means having ethics. Morals... scruples. I will morally perform my duties be they not contrary to the laws of the land. It means bring that necromancer in for a TRIAL and dont hang him from a tree... until the magistrate informs you to do so.

It means when in Zamutas Refuge, perform your duties but dont break the laws of THE LAND ie the land you are in. So if necromancy is legal... why would you even go there?

It means to use your heart and your mind in performing your duties while OBEYING the laws. How can one be a noble if they BREAK the laws? Petition for a law change if you feel that opposed... but to enact your own justice? Where is the morality in that?

Ny duties are to uphold the laws, hold the code in my heart and to serve the people. To do that I must do so with a conscience and in accordance with the written law of the land.

The people trust the nobles to serve them. They place their welfare in our hands. How can they do so if they cannot trust us? We swear oaths to serve and to protect, to uphold the laws and the code. If we lie... does that mean we lied when we swore our oaths?

In order to believe in us, to trust in us... to KNOW that when we swore to protect them and to serve them... we MUST uphold our honor and be faithful to our word in everything we say and do. But there is also a note of caution in this.

Squire Aldric Harrington made a promise to keep a secret, before he heard it. And then it was revealed that his friend had cast a necromantic spell to save him. Aldric was now torn because he gave his word... but found out his friend had cast necromancy. Since he promised he felt that being faithful to his word meant not turning the necromancer in....

The right thing to do in my mind is to bring the necromancer in. To let him know that above all else oaths were sworn to obey the laws and in that... the necromancer had broken them. Morally... Aldrics duty was to go straight to Sir Eros and turn in the necromancer.

Do not give your word without thought. For your first words you must uphold are your oaths, the code and the laws. Giving yourself to too many promises can cause conflict. Be honorable, speak truth and when you say something, mean it.

I think my Barony feels I display this one too often. Simply put, if I have it and you are in need I will share. I do like Icens wisdom however. I will give if I have it and you need it... but I will not make you dependent upon me either.

I will share my loaf of bread with you yes... but I will also teach you how to bake, so you can feed yourself on the morrow. Share.. but do not enable someone to loose their independence.

I remember thinking, this is impossible.. How can I be everywhere? Physically you cannot. But how many of us Remember Duke Bryan Nordenn? Duke Aramis? How many remember Morgasander? These heroes are long from this realm, but their legacy lives on.

Live every moment with purpose, BE the code, BE the light of Goodness. And it will shine... accross not only countries... but accross time.

Be the champion of the right and the good against injustice and evil.

Thats easy. Care for one another. Respect one another, defend one another.
The champion takes up arms. My arms are not weapons of steel and iron. My arms are not just the magic I harness. My arms are also loving my people and tending to their needs. Ensuring they prosper and have all that they need to live happy lives.

I fight in battles yes. I wage war literally... but I also wage war by helping repair a fence... and helping little ones with no parents find homes with people who will love them. If we hold true to all we know is good and right, and live each day trying to improve the world around us, then we are champions... and we are fighting injustice and evil.

And be it as it may.
That is how I see the code of Chivalry.

Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

There are many interpretations to the Code.

Aislynn and Walgar, your words speak well and true.

I think perhaps such as you should consider squireship.

~Lady Knight Glorianna Wyndancer Nordenn

Lady Knight Glorianna said, "I fight in battles yes. I wage war literally... but I also wage war by helping repair a fence... and helping little ones with no parents find homes with people who will love them. If we hold true to all we know is good and right, and live each day trying to improve the world around us, then we are champions... and we are fighting injustice and evil."

I could not agree more.

--- Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale

IvanDrake said:
Hmmmm.... I'm curious. What is the "standard noble yip yap," Zat?

Baron first I dit not mean any dis respect its merely a phrase some of use use.yip yap is to say words that are a are expected or wanting to hear rather then from the heart .Nobles can be intimidating even when they are trying their best not to .Its the whole incharge thing. Yes gloriana was wonderfull in her explination,and so was my favorite vanseer.
you see for example to many races evil has many faces not just an opposite on the battle field.Iflife were only so simple.
evil correct responce
1 greed,want > to obtain or insist upon without reguard to others or the long term constquences.to seldom put others equal to or above ones self
2 cowerdise> to do what is right be it evidence against a noble,a friend,a group of thugs, knowing reitibution will occur.Yet to stand up anyway.
3 Despare> to never give up on hope,and especially never show it when others are in need of support.
4 hate> to never be willing to forgive.to hold a grudge long after the issue is a concern.to not hold anger in insted put to a good use.
5 ego> to always strive not to push ones personal beliefs on others with little reguard to different cultures and social customs .
6 pressure> to do what is right [in your gut]never the quick solution,the oh well just for now solution never thinking of the whole situation .
7 mindlesness> to follow a order that is obviously wrong[lock them away forever so noone can know]without fault you are just following orders.
You see when some says they wish to know the code I see a long process not a memorization

Zat

Zat,

I agree that memorization of the Code of Chivalry does not mean that you follow it or even understand it. Anyone can memorize something. I believe try to use the Code as a guide for my life. It stands to reason (to me, at least) that if I'm going to live my life by something, I should have it memorized. Not because if I don't, I will forget the spirit or intent of the Code. But because it has such deep meaning for me that I want to know it intimately.

However, I can expressly recall several times in my career when knowing the exact wording of the Code has been truly beneficial. When the Ducal Court was kidnapped some time ago, my ability to state the Code word-for-word was instrumental in releasing Sir Harrison.

Baron Ivan,
I agree with you on most accounts, but I feel that you can still use the Code as points of values to follow, and not verbatim. The issue with verbatim, as with all interpretations of anything, is that what does this code -really- mean? What is it truly saying?

As Dame Glorianna has mentioned, Zamuta's Refuge is a place I will never travel to, for I would be compelled to those who cast necromancy in those lands to justice, no matter what laws in their land. Thus, I remove myself from the situation by never setting foot in the place.

I feel that the Code, although exceedingly exceptional to live by, can often times (as most words are) be misconstrued by different people. Perhaps there should be a way to explain to the common folk in simpler terms, for those who are unsure, what those words mean? I know that I have expressed my personal standpoint on them, but I would like to see yours, Sire, as I am sure they will bring more understanding to people who wish to know more, considering this is what that discussion was about in the first place.

Humbly,
Aislynn Ravenshire

Aislynn,

Thank you for your comments. One of the purposes of the Squire's Meetings..... nay, the *primary* purpose of these meetings..... is to have an open forum to discuss the Code, the share your thoughts and beliefs, to ask questions and to learn. Conversation in the Dream Realm can often cause misinterpretations in context, but if you have a specific question or topic you'd like to discuss, please feel free to mention it.

Baron Ivan,
With all due respect, I believe I did ask it. What are your personal views upon the definition of the Code's tenants?

-Aislynn

Back