Improved channeling prerequsite

Mike

To qualify for improved channeling someone needs 20 ranks of channeling, right? Sure!

But do all 20 ranks need to be of the same attribute to qualify? Can I mix and match celestial channeling ranks with earth channeling ranks to meet the prerequisite?

The rules do state that the 50 bonus points you get with improved channeling do go to your primary channeling school, but nothing about mixing primary and secondary schools to meet the prerequisite.

I can’t imagine it would, because IC applies to both pools. So it wouldn’t make sense that you couldn’t...actually..

Hm.

Riposte allows you to use an attack that could be either Stealth or Martial, but you can’t combine Stealth XP and martial XP to meet the requirement.

So...actually, there’s a precedent that you need 20 purchases of one even if it applies to both.

I would actually guess that since the description for improved channeling specifies that the points go to your primary school (ETA: and that there is not an improved channeling (secondary)), that the prerequisite 20 levels could come from either.

Not that it’s the ultimate authority on all things xp expenditure related, but the cma supports this.

Last edited:
Not that it’s the ultimate authority on all things xp expenditure related, but the cma supports this.

I mean it actually kind of is.

It's a total of 20. It doesn't matter how you get there. Mix and match, all primary, all secondary. It was one of the questions we asked when we built it, since it was a new kind of prerequisite.

It's a total of 20. It doesn't matter how you get there. Mix and match, all primary, all secondary. It was one of the questions we asked when we built it, since it was a new kind of prerequisite.

I was mostly being sarcastic, but at the same time accounting for there having been a few things that were missed. :)

Then why can’t folks mix Martial/Stealth XP to qualify for Riposting Blow?

It’s a different type of requisite, but it should follow the same precedent, I would think.

A lot of the mindset is probably just holdover from 1.3.

I’m sure there was probably a good reason for preventing a guy swinging 4s & 8s from buying a riposte, but allowing a guy swinging 6s to have one, but it never made sense to me.

The only real edge case I can think of is that it would cut down on the number of Ripostes that a spellsword with 3 levels of alchemy or an adept who picked up a prof (or two?) and some martial skills can have.

I think the extra juice from the one extra riposte and the lack of other off-class skills isn’t really worth distinguishing between the two for this one skill.

Then why can’t folks mix Martial/Stealth XP to qualify for Riposting Blow?

It’s a different type of requisite, but it should follow the same precedent, I would think.

I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm just telling you how it was programmed based on questions myself and Ken asked.

You'll have to talk to ARC about their reasoning. These changes didn't come from owners but, from them.

I'm not expressing an opinion. I'm just telling you how it was programmed based on questions myself and Ken asked.

You'll have to talk to ARC about their reasoning. These changes didn't come from owners but, from them.

I’ll pass. I think ARC’s had enough of my shenanigans/feedback. ;)

If I rolled my eyes at you any harder, I would die.

Absolutely take it as me not knowing enough about the behind the scenes coding to be able to say what choices needed to be made or asked about to make it all happen.

As a former Head of Logistics for a couple different chapters, you have my thanks for all that you’ve done with this.

Yeah no worries. I was in a bit of a pickle with the rules update since I had like exactly one day to roll out all the changes. So I for sure missed some stuff but, that's the exception to the rule usually.

Well, thanks for the clarification. It helps with my build plan.

Back