Improving in-game atmosphere

Gunnar

Squire
Having played both coasts, I've really been amazed just how the game has stepped up immersion in the last 10 years. From the HQ IG dishware, the CT tablecloths, the SF coat of arms banners, the NH singalongs in the tavern just to name a few, every chapter I've played I've seen give a little 'extra' to flavor their in game atmosphere.

And it got me thinking.

Big things, small things..what little props/moments/things help keep you in the spirit of the game? What little bits make you go "Wow. Its a small thing, but that's really cool, and makes me not see those crappy orange camp chairs that are sitting on the wall." etc. etc.

If we can compile a list, maybe all of us can bring a little of it to our home chapters, and kick the game up a notch :)

(Note - these don't necessarily have to be expensive decorations, or anything other than something you think you can give to make the in game atmosphere a little more IG.)

-Ali

I think the street signs idea in XR is pretty fancy. Just basic wooden plaques with arrows pointing in the directions of the local guilds, tavern and sides of town.

They did the same thing at HQ down in the woods with danger signs, signifying that you were about to enter the Contested Lands.

Of course the illiterate must completely ignore such information, but the effect remains a solid one.

-Brian

My weaponry is severely lacking in this department, currently, but having weapons that are more than just "sausage on a stick" helps me with staying immersed. I've seen some very interesting weapons recently with shaped-foam blades and extensive decorations (fancy hilt, swirling purple/yellow duct tape designs on a Gypsy sword, etc.) and they have inspired me to look into making some better-looking weapons for myself.

I also invested in a business sign for my character and am working toward creating a pavillion-esque setup with a mini-forge (made from foam bricks and other props) so that I can have a bit of a "shop" to sell my wares out of. It's going to be a while, but I think it's going to be awesome once it's done.

Here's the sign:
Sign.jpg

-Luke

Things a PC can help do:

Tableware. If everyone had their own utensils, plates, mugs, etc. that actually looked period it goes a long in increasing the immersion of the game. Additionally, table cloths and tavern-like decorations on the tables add to the atmosphere.

Cabin decorations such as tapestries on the walls, using electric candles or torches or whatever instead of incandescent/fluorescent lighting, blankets and other bed coverings instead of just a sleeping bag (a covering over the sleeping bag is just as good), and art to hang on the walls. Dressing up the cabin really makes it feel like you're somewhere else.

Signs for a group's abode (if it is well known, obviously) such as Earth Guild, Celestial Guild, etc.

Things the chapter can do:

Use light sources that do make the suspension of disbelief less challenging. How awesome is it when you are led by a guy holding a torch or candelabra? How cool is it when you are walking into a cave that has glowing bugs (i.e. fluorescent paint or fluorescent make-up illuminated by a black light)? Or that illuminated path of flickering LED tea lights or LED tiki torches sticking in the ground? As opposed to a guy with a flashlight, using the fluorescent / incandescent lighting inherent to the building, and glow sticks on the ground to illuminate a path.

I like the signs idea.

Less tabbard-only costumes for sentient creatures (as appropriate), less "What do I see?" scenarios, more "That looks like a ... Oh, hell! Run!" by using appropriate costuming. I mean, really, are all orcs and goblins and hobgoblins and kobolds and gnolls and skeletons and zombies naked? Put some clothes on! :D

Appropriate paper for things IG that use paper. Things like parchment-looking paper for in-game correspondence or notes really makes the game seem cooler as opposed to using lined paper for a hand-written note or white paper for that job posting or wanted poster.

Potions / alchemy dropped in vials, scrolls dropped in scroll-sized appropriate phys reps, etc.

Spell books found as loot. Especially for defeating that super caster that we know has been holed up here for a long time.

Just some ideas. :)

Fearless Leader said:
Alavatar said:
Potions / alchemy dropped in vials, scrolls dropped in scroll-sized appropriate phys reps, etc.

Isn't this a requirement? Are chapters not doing that?

Yes, but some people are using higher quality materials also.
Scrolls on this
images
looks better than this
images

-People not using soda cans directly. Nothing breaks the in game atmosphere quite like a guy sitting across from you drinking from a bright green can of mountain dew.

-More fake wine!

-Page headbands that are integrated into a costume. A page in Oregon has one that fits around his hat just like a hatband that's supposed to be there, while still clearly showing that he is a page.

-Actual tavernkeeps who sell actual drinks.

Latex weapons...just saying. I've pretty much updated all my PCs and my big name NPCs with them...except for spears and polearms because I like to poke with those. Someone needs to invent a safe for poking latex weapon.

Fearless Leader said:
Alavatar said:

Isn't this a requirement? Are chapters not doing that?

I traveled a massive amount in 2009 and I can say this is extremely hit or miss depending on chapter, it's not uncommon for loot to be the big 'pile of tags with a trinket on top' Scrolls for the most part are one of the best repped items. Components are generally fairly decent, but I occasionally saw the Popsicle sticks with tags only.

One of the thing we do very poorly for new chapters is provide information on how to rep these efficiently without busting the bank so to speak, and often a chapter's reps will depend entirely on if a fairly established player decides to make up a few hundred/thousands to donate.

For Example here in SoMN we do 3-4 Prep Parties a year and open attendance to our players and provide the raw materials, but it averages out to about 160 Man Hours a year (5-8 people for 8-5 hours usually, 4 times) To cover printing scrolls, tagging them and securing them with ribbon, washing vials and tagging them, making alchemical globes to tag, preparing component reps etc. Basically it is not a quick process, scrolls are my favorite as they are more expensive but only take a few moments to print, double sign and bag (we can do the scrolls for an event in 10 minutes flat, although we have to use a dice since the Ritual database doesn't have a seed attached to the randomizer (meaning it's not random)

If you've read all the above, and think you can help, I'm willing to bet we'd pay with Dragon Stamps for a well documented 'how to prep loot' worksheet including were/what to buy etc. :D

Duke Frost said:
Latex weapons...just saying. I've pretty much updated all my PCs and my big name NPCs with them...except for spears and polearms because I like to poke with those. Someone needs to invent a safe for poking latex weapon.

Amen.

Deadlands said:
Duke Frost said:

Amen.

*Post deleted as it consisted solely of a comprehensive list of marital aids*

Deadlands said:
Duke Frost said:

Amen.

I have and someone has been using it here on the west coast for almost four years now. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it before handing it off to the person I made it for. However, here's a very rough sketch of it:

LatexSpear.jpg

I have a mold that makes a half dome of open cell foam. I cut the 'blades' out of 3/4" thick open cell foam and glued the end closest to the point just over the edge of the seal between the dome and the 2" round block of open cell foam. The blades help keep the point from folding over during thrusts and the dime stops the tube from tearing through the foam with thrusts.

The triangles are roughly 4" on the hypotenuse with the top point about one inch from the back and 1.5" tall. My original may have had larger triangles than that to make it look more like a spear (due to it having a 2" point) but I believe that these dimensions will help keep the fold overs to a minimum - especially if you use four blades instead of three. I wouldn't recommend trying just two blades as you might have fold over on side to side thrusts (but maybe you won't - I've never tried though so no guarantees from me).

I've also made a bladed/polearm version for another game so you could chop and poke but, again, no pics. But by extending one of the triangles into an axe head and having some creative foam strips along the sides to help with fold over, you could probably figure the rest out.

I'd love to make a realistic looking spear but that 2" diameter thrusting area is a real sticking point (pun intended). I'd love it to be reruled as "as wide as a nerf dart's tip" but meh...

As for improving in-game atmosphere.

First, stay in character. I know it is hard for some people (myself included since I only see these friends at game) but talking about a movie you've seen lately or other stuff is the biggest break of atmosphere IMO.

Next, keep packaging out of site. Someone already mentioned drinking sodas from cans - and that goes for sport drinks and other items but also such things as cookie bags, string cheese wrappers, etc. If you're carrying it with you on an adventure, take it fully out of the wrapper, put the wrapper back in your pocket and eat the granola bar that way.

Third is modern "machines". Some camps have such things as pay phones, pepsi machines, etc. A simple piece of burlap or black out cloth over the front of these will remove the logos. Note that covering such things as fire extinguishers are a bad thing so maybe talk to the camp supervisor as to what is OK to cover. Also, the farther away you park your cars out of sight, the better.

The usage of large tapestry type banners can be used to cover up anything from a pile of OOC items to the outside of a modern tent.

I hate soda machines. Whenever I get stressed about the Faire Play site not being where I want it to be yet, I look around at the lack of soda machines and I feel better. :thumbsup:

The people who run the game can only do as much as the players let us, in some regards; it's up to players to police each other and encourage each other to help the IG atmosphere, by reminding them to hide their OOG stuff and stay in character.

In our tavern at Faire Play, we have real mugs and plates and such -- no plastic utensils or anything. It means having to do dishes but it adds so much to the atmosphere.

So it's always frustrating to me to have players come in with their McDonald's bag and sit down in the middle of the tavern and start eating. Or people come in without a costume and sit in the tavern to eat, thinking that just wearing a headband makes it OK. Come on, show some respect for your fellow players. Throw on a costume and be an NPC farmer eating in tavern if nothing else.

Most players are pretty good about it; as the tavernkeeper, I've had players come in and ask for a mug so they can pour their cola into it and that's exactly what we want.

On the other hand, two of the biggest problems I have had with people ignoring our IG tavern were with owners of other games, so there's only so much I can do.

Still, in Ashbury at least, I am very proud of our players -- this doesn't happen too often, and the tavern stays in-game quite well.

anyone know of some lower cost places to get mugs that look reasonably good?
resale shops only get so many things like that & tossing out $10-$15 for pewter gets cost prohibitive.

I saw something at another LARP I visited this year that I really liked.

They don't use white headbands or weapons on heads to denote a plot member or npc being out of game. Instead, they have a giant stack of straw hats.

When a plot member or NPC goes to set up an encounter or something similar they wear the straw hat and are basically just a farmer. Players can interact with them, but they share the understanding that its just a regular farmer going about his business.

This had one more added advantage. If a player needed to speak with a plot member they could walk up to any farmer IG and ask them, "Hey have you seen farmer Jesse anywhere? I was looking for him!" The farmer would then answer ig and tell the player where to go.

I thought it was a pretty interesting way to make the OOG mechanics of running the game more invisible.

Stephen

In New Hampshire we are very lucky to have an amazing and completely in-game tavern, as well as (at least) two wonderful roleplayers to be the tavern keeps. They make a delicious dinner every Saturday and always have food for other times during the day. A nice tavern, to me, is one of the most important things to help me get in-game.

Also, I haaaaaate out-of-game talk in in-game areas. Nothing really takes me out of character like hearing people talk about their newfangled Batman video game or that latest episode of Dr. Who or whatever. Take it out-of-game. Or to your cabin at least.

Back