In defense of Humans

Dr_Chill

Fighter
With all the other races having powerful abilities (resist magic, racial slay, resist binding etc.), why would anyone want to play a human?

I am looking for someone to help me make a case for playing a "lowly" human versus one of the more "powerful" races. Thanks!

1. no debating on racial build
2. you get into all the racial plot (which is kinda funky) wether your that race or not
3. people seem to trust humans too much
4. you get skipped in a row of arcane deaths
seriously tho the easiest is this 1. no costuming restrictions, just don't look like another race, and 2. you don't have to debate wether or not you should buy that resist command or whatever.

the IG reason is numbers. in theory, humans are the most populous of all the races (including the sub-breeds Barbarians and Gypsies). as a human, you're in the majority; if any elf gets uppity, you just get your posse of human buddies and log-stomp her. in theory, this also means humans are the most likely to have positive interactions with random townsfolk because the most common townie is statistically likely to be a human

OOG, it's all about the lack of demand for costuming, makeup, action. Humans can be, do, wear, look like anything (as long as you're not infringing on any other races particular look). there are no restrictions against what you can/can't cast, use, or hate. they're freeform

Not having to blow build on racials! Sometimes, that's a benefit.

Most games have the politics human-centric.

Also, Sunday morning syndrome. My old pc, Simon, would wander over Sunday morning, grab a shower, cup of coffee, throw on a tabbard, and be in character before the scavengers finished putting on their makeup. it was very relaxing.

Honestly, gypsy was probably near the bottom of my list of prefered classes when I was writing up a new pc. However, plot said that they had a plot that required a gypsy of my temperament and background, and so I wrote up Raphael.

Still trying to figure out what the heck's going on with that plot, a year later...

Davio, tpo Raphael

The reason to make a human character? The exact same reason people should make elven characters or hobling characters: concept. Whatever you envision that character to be, that's what they should be. Humans are most malleable of the races since they have no preconceptions or required likes/dislikes, and a lot of people find that very appealing especially if they have more of an idea of what class they wanna be than what type of person they wanna be down the line, and can let plot and RP encounters mold that character into the type you end up years down the road. It happens that way with all characters to a degree, but with humans you don't ever run into racial pre-dispositions blocking your character from any potential paths.

You can be friends with anyone if you want. and also its true that you "save" build not having the spend anything on racial's. Now saying that I would never promote humans personally because I love racial's... :D

Dreamingfurther said:
You can be friends with anyone if you want. and also its true that you "save" build not having the spend anything on racial's. Now saying that I would never promote humans personally because I love racial's... :D
from what i understand in the book (right now, who knows in the new version) the ONLY race which MUST buy its racials are Mystic Wood Elves: they must buy five COs before reaching sixth level; and even then, it's more they must take advantage of their build-saving on COs, not "buy a racial-ability", per se

there is NO over-arching rule rule which demands a character with a racial-ability, which costs build, purchase it

so, the build-cost benefit argument doesn't really benefit humans as other races don't NEED to buy their racials.

now, personally, i think it's cheezy as all get out not to have racials as it detracts from the character's connection to their species and should set them as pariah when dancing 'round the campfire, but i digress

No, there is no OOG Rule requiring other races to buy their racial skills. However expect lots of peer pressure and harassment from other members of your race if you don't have them.

Certain races are harsher about this than others and it even varies by chapter I'm sure, but I know that a sarr out here without claws by the time they reach a certain age are looked down upon and occasionally even beaten up. :)

In my case, I came up with a character concept and a personality, and then read through the races, and decided that once I had eliminated the races that get penalties on magic, I had to eliminate most of the other races because of the required personality restrictions. I wound up torn between human and dark elf, and at that point, yes, the makeup made the final decision for me. :)

Shay said:
I wound up torn between human and dark elf, and at that point, yes, the makeup made the final decision for me. :)

I'm glad you made the sensible decision and chose Dark Elf.

This message brought to you by The See-the-Heavy-Makeup-Races-in-My-Sig Coalition.

Shay said:
I wound up torn between human and dark elf, and at that point, yes, the makeup made the final decision for me. :)

I'm glad you chose Dark Elf too! Because its even better than scavys for getting to wear the most makeup in the game! :D

Maybe, maybe not. You dark elves are all one color. It takes at least three to get my fox look going, more like seven for all of Shin's markings. :mrgreen:

Although I would readily agree any scavenger might take more time or detail to do the makeup correctly I'm pretty sure that Dark Elf wins out for sheer volume of makeup. When I have coated my entire head of hair with hair white and blacked my head down to the base of the neck... thats a crap ton of makeup. ;) But definately scavengers come close!

Wraith said:
Maybe, maybe not. You dark elves are all one color. It takes at least three to get my fox look going, more like seven for all of Shin's markings. :mrgreen:

Two colors for Dark or Stone elves: White and Black. One each for hair and skin, just reverse it to switch races.

(I know, I know. Not all Stone Elves have black hair, but it is the most prevalent color)

Telokh_Amdo said:
Two colors for Dark or Stone elves: White and Black. One each for hair and skin, just reverse it to switch races.

Monochromatic characters for the win!

Brought to you by Amelia "See-the-Stone-Elf- and-the-black-widow-spider-scavvie-in-my-sig" Lizak

Two colors to get my fox scavie right and a nose prosthetic.

Oh and about a half hour of scrubbing after the event is over! :D

Darn red makeup!

Jim

kitsune85 said:
Oh and about a half hour of scrubbing after the event is over! Darn red makeup!

It's your own fault, Jim. You could have played a grey fox, an arctic fox, fennec fox (etc) for a more skin friendly make-up color.

Back