In the tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tavern door swings open and Jinn walks in, striding over to his usual table in the back of the room. He sternly orders a drink and scans the room, his face unable to hide his anger and dissapointenmet. He offers a brisk thanks when it arrives, downs it, and orders another stronger one. Leaning back in his chair slightly he holds his hands across his chest and loudly exhales."

Billin walks into the tavern, dragging his feet towards the bar. He orders a stiff drink and looks around the room as he waits. The barmaid hand him his drink and quickly precedes to deliver Jinns as well.
Billin follows shortly thereafter, coming to the table he asks "May I join you?" Gestering to the seat across fron the battle mage.

Looking up and seeing who it was Jinn's face softens a bit. He motions to an empty chair at the table.

"Of course you may, please take a seat. How have you been Billin?"

"Busy" Billin nods his thanks and sits down with a sigh. "I am helping Lady Brighthammer with, what feels like, busywork."
Billin takes a sip of his drink and relaxes a bit more into his seat before continuing. "Although I know it is important work, somedays it does not feel like it."

"How about you? You seem annoyed about something."

"I know the feeling of ones work feeling unimportant at times. I am annoyed, it seems that even with the evil that surrounds us, the threat of the end of days, literal blood contracts that spell out the demise of this world... humans are still petty beings. Why risk my life when they will take each others so easily. I'm sure you heard of the trial and murder that took place the other night. With everything we need to do and all the threats around us, they waste time killing each other. Today is one of those days where I ask myself is it worth it."

Jinn takes a long drink from his mug and waves for another.

"Is it worth my time and life to do what I have been tasked with, if others seem set on murdering people over petty squabbles from years ago. Can I truly trust anyone in this place?"

"I did hear about the trial, but nothing specific."

Billin also waves for another drink before continuing.

"I think being petty comes with being a shorter lived race, not that those of our races can't be, we just tend to see the bigger picture."

Billin let's out another sigh and looks down into his empty mug
"I can only hope that what we do is worth it, and that we can trust those that stand beside us in this fight."

"Sadly the number of trustworthy people in this city keeps dwindling. Doing the things I will have to do before this is all over will require people I can trust with my life... I can't think of many anymore..."

Jinn sighs as he hands his empty mug over for a full one.

"But enough of my problems, what have you been working on these past few months?"

"Mostly trying to help out behind the scenes. Helping Falco and his research with dawnsteel and those crystals, learning what I can about the control room waterwheel. And also learning what I can to make those shackles that Evo wants for the dragon."
Billin shakes his head and takes another long drink
"More learning than practical work"

"Well hopefully what you are learning now will lead to successful work in the future" Jinn replies, raising his glass a bit before taking a drink.

"There seem to be many moving pieces to all of this, and we can't have a single one fail."

Kai shuffles in, looking slightly bedraggled, and goes to the bar for a drink. She can be overheard telling the barkeep, "no, I told you, it's not contagious!" She takes the mug of hot tea, muttering, "at least, not to you" under her breath. She heads towards the people she knows. "Evenin folks."

Jinn gives a half hearted greeting to the foxkin and finishes his drink, waving for another. As Kai moves closer to the table he motions to a chair.

"You may join us if you wish Kai, burning afraid I'm not great company right now"

Jinn cracks his knuckles as the new beverage is brought to the table.

Kai nods, and sits down anyways. "I've been down with Vulpine flu for two weeks." She sips her tea carefully. "What new disaster is upon us this time?" She sounds tired, but her interest in recent events seems genuine.

"People killing people because someone paid them because of something that happened years ago... I can't shake the feeling that peoples greed will be used against us."

Kai blinks slowly, and then sighs. "I was rather expecting "we learned Al'zoon's deep dark secret" or "we have a new magical object to look for" or even "someone made babies with a sexy monster again."" She makes a congested snort, and then drinks more tea. "Murdering each other is so.. so.. boring? I thought we'd grown past all that nonsense."

"I don't have many years under my belt this deep in... civilization. I'm still not used to the shorter lived races and their short sightedness. Nonsense it may be, until our enemies use us to kill each other for a shiny copper."

Kai makes some serious eye contact with Jinn over the top of her raised mug. "Do not equate lack of foresight with shorter lifespan." She sips. "It's wisdom, not years, that make the difference."

Jinn chuckles "You're all shorter lives races to me. But I don't mean any offense to present company of course."

"None taken." Kai finishes the drink, then looks down to ponder the tea leaves for a long moment. "Do you know of any new research tasks to be done this month? I was hoping to make a side trip to Calenhelm on my own business, but I could postpone it if I need to be up to my ears in dusty old tomes." Dewevdi's annex is more organized now, but the books are still anchient, and the space has that nose-twitching dust smell that makes you expect a sneeze.

Jinn ponders for a moment "Magi Evo would be the one to talk to about research, but I fear his mind is as ore occupied as mine is. Marshal Arlyn would also be someone to search out. She has had to drive right back into her duties, what with her few months away. I think I have some personal matters to look into this month." Jinn's expression darkens as the words leave his lips and he takes another heavy drink from his mug.

Kai looks sideways at Jinn. She says bluntly, "I hate when you get that expression."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back