Information Regarding the Resurrection Difficulties

MacFawkes

Artisan
To the people of New Acarthia,

I come bearing difficult news, yet it is important for all to have this information.

For those who may not know, the kingdom of Acarthia has recently experienced an epidemic of citizens dying their first death, only to have their bodies reform, suffering their permanent death. This is an alarming occurrence, especially coming as it does with seemingly no explanation.

As of the last ducal gather, I believe that we have received enough information to know what is going on, which comes as...something of a mixed blessing.

On Sunday morning, many Acarthians encountered a wylderkin carrying his son, who had fallen and would not resurrect. Tapping into his connection with the plane of death, Baron Egil Nordheim of Bayenna was able to determine that - rather than being the result of some supernatural ailment - this loss is a natural effect. He sensed that our ability to resurrect freely without drawing from Death's Bag is actually a corruption of life magic, an effect that is starting to wane. It seems that the deaths we have seen are the result of this loss of power.

Squire Klonoah Kona of Rivervale has been doing some research regarding life elementals, and has recently learned that the magisterium elementals cycle among themselves every 200 years, changing the element that is ascendant among them. For the past 200 years, life has been dominant over the other elements, but we are at the cusp of a transition to the powers of chaos. What this means for us specifically is difficult to say, however I suspect that this change is related to the waning power of life that affects our resurrections.

So, if this is not a supernatural effect, what can be done about it?

Averting this entirely is unlikely; however, Squire Klonoah is presently undertaking an extended mission that - if successful - should stave off the change for a time. I would encourage any who are interested in helping with this endeavor to speak to him at upcoming gathers for more details.

If there are any with additional details or corrections that will be helpful, please feel free to include them here within this thought stream.

- Baron Darius Rivervale

I am interested to see if this has any impact on the application of Ducal law, specifically in regards to execution. Many crimes are punishable by death by our current laws, but I don't believe that the intended result of many of these executions is permanent death. Obliteration, which is clearly intended to result in permanent death is only reserved for the most severe offenses. If people are permanently dying with some regularity after a single death, a death sentence now seems not so different from a sentence of obliteration. Will the laws be adjusted to account for this?

Last edited:
I am interested to see if this has any impact on the application of Ducal law, specifically in regards to execution. Many crimes are punishable by death by our current laws, but I don't believe that the intended result of many of these executions is permanent death. Obliteration, which is clearly intended to result in permanent death is only reserved for the most severe offenses. If people are permanently dying with some regularity after a single death, a death sentence now seems not so different from a sentence of obliteration. Will the laws be adjusted to account for this?

Any time someone dies, it is an acknowledged possibility that the person may not return. While we have had several individuals die on their first death, we have also had several individuals die and return so its not a sure thing that they will die from this new "changing of the seasons". Ultimately, I don't see any reason to fundamentally alter the punishment structure concerning whether Death should be applied or not personally.

I believe intent is important. Obliteration is not a sure thing, but the intent behind it is clearly to cause someone to permanently die. Simple execution which causes a single death is clearly meant as a lesser form of punishment, even if it carries the possibility of permanent death, it is certainly a smaller chance than with an obliterate. However, can we say with any surety that a normal death given these recent changes is any different from an obliterate? If the percentage chance of permanently dying has dramatically increased, which based on Baron Darius' report seems to be the case, then a death sentence is inherently harsher now than previously. I think at the very least it warrants a stay of execution until we can learn more. This of course only goes for trials in which citizens of New Acarthia are involved. In terms of the war with Epyxia and how we deal with outside enemies, I would not hesitate to kill my enemies on the battlefield.

Baron Darius do yoy have any informatiin to suggest that people that die and people that are Obliterated have the same chance of returning?

This isn't what I took your information to mean, but if true is very interesting.

It is nearly unheard of for someone to suffer permanent death from their first death unless there was some sort of supernatural involvement like we experienced with the shadows and spirits who were too frightened to return. However it is not unheard of for someone to suffer permanent death after obliteration, even if they had not died previously. Therefore I think there is at least circumstantial evidence suggesting that a normal death could be equivalent to obliterate, especially if it is a person's first death. While it is by no means a certainty, I think it is at the very least worth consideration before passing a death sentence, and not something we should dismiss.

Lord Wolsey,

Regrettably, what I transmitted earlier represents the sum of my available knowledge, save that this waning does not seem to affect everyone; you may recall that several individuals resurrected successfully after the ghoul attacks in April. The Healers Guilds have not yet been able to determine a pattern for who is affected and who is not, but I welcome any who can provide additional information as this situation unfolds.

I intend to find a pattern in this, though it may be one of simple chance of which death is affected and is not, as all of my information points to a waning of influence of the forces of Life. I will say, the death of the young wylderkin, while certainly sad and painful for the family, was not unnatural in any way, as far as I could tell.
In the matter of the laws, and the associated penalties, I am certainly biased for obvious reasons, and shall recuse myself from the debate.

-Baron Egil Nordheim

Last edited:
Back