Interested Potential Newbie!

Amanda

Is this chapter active? I may or may not be able to make it to the closing event this year.

If so, I'm gonna ask some of the same questions I asked in the Asheville thread. (Geographically I'm pretty much right between the two.)

Is it weird just to come to the last event of the season?

How much do I need to know before showing up? Especially if I'm NPCing? I looked through the website and book but there are a lot of skills and things.

Anything else I should know?

Good morning Amanda, yes this chapter is active.
It is not weird to go to the last event for the season. What will happen is you will enjoy your self so much that you will say, "why did I not do this sooner" and "oh man, I have to wait till next season to play here again". So nothing wrong at all going to the last event of eason in any chapter.

As for knowing "stuff" I would recommend going over the rulebook several times. Get very familiar with the spells and what they do along with the fighter skills. The Alliance is very understanding with new players and the rules (I've been playing for over 20 years and I still get some rules wrong). I would recommend checking out https://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/forums/new-player-information.417/ that will give you some more info on what to expect and what you should bring with you.

Hello Amanda! We are indeed active.

You are absolutely welcome to come to any event, including the last one of this season.

If you'd like, please feel free to email me at barranplot@gmail.com with questions, or to continue posting them here :)

If you're NPCing, it will give us a chance to give you a bit more guidance to start, and to show you the ropes we hop around on.

We certainly don't expect those new to our system to have things memorized, but a few read throughs of the rulebook for how our system works and an idea of what all is in there will help you understand more context. At your first event, we'll also give you a chance to get more familiar with the basics when you join our Head of Rules for New Player Training :)

Very happy you're thinking of joining us!

Thanks for the answers, guys!

After looking more closely at my calendar, I might be able to come to the August event as well, and maybe be ready to play a character by November!

I was kinda wondering if there is a way to get more information about the world and story before actually coming to the event? Even though I'm planning to NPC first to learn the ropes, I'm still daydreaming about character concepts and I'd like to make sure they make sense with the world before this gets too out of hand.

Back