July event date change

jpariury

Duke
Mainly I want to get this down in a public area that the staff is more or less anticipated to see it, and to make sure it was openly described:

I'm pretty disappointed in the manner in which the date change for the July event was communicated. I don't play many events a year (and I suspect my availability for other events will be even more restricted in the near future.... babybabybaby :) ), and I was looking forward to coming out, seeing folk, and trying out the game. I dropped a few hundred on new props and costuming in anticipation for it. But then I learned that the event was rescheduled.

As best as I can tell, there are four public portals for communication:
  1. this set of subforums
  2. the webpage news section
  3. the Facebook public group
  4. the Facebook community board

Prior to having the community board to my attention, I didn't even know it was a thing (though, I do see now that it's the Facebook link on the main site). It uses the exact same name as the public group, and when I searched the name, only the public group came up.

That said, the July event was originally scheduled for July 8-10. As far as I can tell, near-as-nothing was published on any of the four portals indicating the event change date.
  1. I don't see anything in the Announcements section
  2. the news section on the webpage seems relatively unused
  3. the public group page had no notice
  4. Isaac's post on the community board just says "An Updated Posting for our Event Schedules this year!" but doesn't call out what was updated, and only links the the event schedule which itself makes no note of what changes were made.

It was mentioned that for all of the regular local players, this wasn't much of an issue - they regularly use the community board and talk to one another on the reg, so they all knew. That's cool if you're a regular local player. But in my ideal world, an event change, particularly made less than a month from its scheduled date, whether its a change in date, venue, or story, would be broadcast across all of the public portals as soon as you know it, with the pertinent details explicitly called out. You may not know for sure who is planning on attending your events. You definitely don't know which of your public portals they're relying on to monitor when events are happening.

All that said, I won't be at the July event. Not because I don't want to go, and not because it's some sort of protest not-going, but because, most importantly, I'd already made plans for the new weekend and changing those this close in is not an options, and secondarily because some of the non-local non-regulars I planned on seeing aren't going to be there for similar reasons.

Like I said, my intention isn't to come off bitchy. I hear great things about your games, and would like to attend them at some point. This is just my reasons for why this one isn't going to be it, and what could be done better in the future.

Back