* High level of engagement backstage this weekend! NPCs emailing Plot before the event, expressing interest in specific stories, and raising their hands for longer-term roles
* Setting my "NPC Sweat Shop" to work backstage, making all those glowstick headlights for the opening battle, sharing with everyone the stories of the fight ahead!
* Getting the chance to welcome some of the new faces in our circle backstage!
* Timing just right, hearing the Duchess just about to pronounce sentence in a trial, and suddenly announcing that various PCs there start glowing with an inner light....
* Walking behind Cabin 5 where the crew of 27 glowing-eyed Ancient Mariners mustered OOG -- man! That couldn't help but feel scary, even to the Marshal!
* "You see a three-masted ragged tall ship."
"I see a three-masted, ragged, tall ship?"
"No, a ragged tall ship."
"Is that some kind of specific ship?"
* A complex opening battle with 2 fog machines, 3 ground light effects, sound effects, 27 pairs of glowing eyes, and 5 glowing Hearts of the Sea. It started with a curious letter, and an epic BGA. Then we hads skilled hands attempting to pick 15 padlocks. We managed meaningfully to work in nautical character backgrounds in an inland campaign setting. All with Vincent's spectacular character roleplay as the ship's captain. I was pretty psyched with how that turned out, despite a few bumps along the way!
* Setting the mood for an interrogation in an Acarthian jail cell, using what we've got: A cramped, small room, a single flickering candle, add some sound effects of dripping water, some chains clanking, rats squeaking... and Jeff Loats' detailed characterization and personality as an offbeat necromancer = My very favorite part of a great event!
* Impressive turnout at the Loremsters Guild meeting, and so much delightful notetaking about the Libraries of Acarthia, and Places to Research (hint! Super useful in BGAs!)
* One trip after another to consult the gorgeous large printed maps that Jenn Beach provided for the game of her own funds
* OH MY GOD, HOW COOL WAS THE TAVERN ATMOSPHERE AT NIGHT! This is the tavern I've always wanted for this game!
* Owen stealing the show as the fire sprite on Saturday afternoon... and Captain Roberts so kindly hamming it up in response!
* "Let the Wild Hunt begin!" -- and yet another application of cool sound effects in the game; glad PCs seem to enjoy the setting element of such effects as much as I do!
* Working with some ardent, enthusiastic, quick-studying NPCs this weekend whom I'll name in another post later -- but everyone who helped with my series of Town Guard-sponsored modules to learn more information about the ghouls was amazing, such as the time when...
* I planned for 4 cultists at a recruiting meeting, and got about 10 because the NPCs were all so psyched to play cultists! Big thanks to Abi for painting all those tattoos on everyone. Then Leo... oh, Leo... adding extemporaneous cult-filking with love songs about Halixma, what joy! Everyone loves a cult!
* Hanging out with pretty much everyone as Squire Alissayre Tiree during the continuing project to try to build an orphanage. Special mention to moments with Kali and Team Cotton Candy Grapes (I'm pretty sure that the name still isn't taken), and Emaric, finally!
* Getting to witness Ray Bruels' masterful performance of the first appearance of one of Rivervale's offstage NPC baronial knights, Sir Kendrick Orson of Glenmere. I knew that Ray would capture the esprit d'corps of the team, and would give the role the proper familiar feel of a friend and courtsman of many years -- and Ray was perfect! Light-hearted, familiar, nailed all the material, hung out but didn't overstay -- perfect job, Ray, thank you so much for bringing that Players Guide character to life!
* Belswin and others reacting to news that purple feathers are THE fashion statement of this season!
* Rumors that the Tea House would be serving cinnamon rolls this weekend....
* Players' warm and delighted reaction to the Vysen teams' special rumor sheets for the Howling Woods this weekend
* My beloved ghouls...
*...Players' reactions when a few found blue info cards outside their barracks windows, indicating that there had been significant recent ghoul activity in the area!
* All the kind thanks and feedback from our players and visitors, all of whom have been really supportive making our shared experience awesome for everybody!
Love & Kisses,
2017 Acarthia Plot