Kin

So I am thinking about Kin and I just wanted to double check that you can make bird kin, like a Falcon Kin right? Cause I know you can't make cat Kin because those would be Sarr. But different kinds of bird kin would be different from a Biata right? Cause I mean Biata are fantasy creatures anyways.

You can make a bird-kin, yeah -- in fact, some chapters have specific packets for kinds of bird-kin.

cool yea that's what i thought I am thinking a Bird of prey might be a pretty reasonable candidate for a Racial Prof too which would be fun.

There are several bird-kin in game that I've seen. Obviously the makeup/prosthetics requirement for the race goes far beyond just feathery eyebrows. I have never seen anybody mistake the bird kin for biata. I know some people have joked in-game about biata being "bird people" or "bird brains" or whatever but I don't think anybody has ever actually mixed them up with a kin.

Bird kin are acceptable I saw a crow kin, canary kin, and raven kin.

They're rare, but still around.

people who play bird kin usually dress with either a full bird mask or atleast makeup and a ton of feathers so as to not get mixed up with a biata.

And I would not call biata birds either. Some might get peeved at that mistake.

Heh, I do it all the time. :twisted:

...Well, at least to the ones who deserve it.

-Ali
Sarr player. And Antagonizer.

kitsune85 said:
Bird kin are acceptable I saw a crow kin, canary kin, and raven kin.

They're rare, but still around.

people who play bird kin usually dress with either a full bird mask or atleast makeup and a ton of feathers so as to not get mixed up with a biata.

And I would not call biata birds either. Some might get peeved at that mistake.

Not to mention with Biata, it takes FOREVER to dust the living room with their face.

wait, i'm confused. thought the restriction on "Cat" wylder was because the make-up would confused people as to race; so, ¿why isn't there a similar restriction on "Bird" wylder?

Biata don't look like birds. They have feathery eyebrows and occasionally a clawed/feathered hand -- which is distinctly different from a bird, which'll probably have a beak, facial make-up, etc. If you make your bird look like a biata? Yeah. There will probably be a problem. Where as "cat-kin" are essentially sarr -- they just get their own race.

Here is another question I am uncertain about. If I am going to have my character kept logistically in one chapter and make its home IG from a different chapter what chapter would I contact to get my Kin racials approved?

The only thing I'd add to Kelsey's post is that you cannot play a domestic cat sarr/kin. You can however play a sarr of whatever wild feline species you like.

And if your bird kin is getting confused for a biata, you didn't do enough to fulfill your racial prosthetic requirements. (Not like you would ever have this problem, David). ;)

Dreamingfurther said:
Here is another question I am uncertain about. If I am going to have my character kept logistically in one chapter and make its home IG from a different chapter what chapter would I contact to get my Kin racials approved?

The chapter you're playing at. My understanding on Wylder-racials (which admittedly is a few years old) is that the chapter you are PCing has theright to refuse your racials if the plot commitee deems them inappropriate for their campaign. This may have changed in the time since I knew it was an issue (a horse scavvie), but I have not seen a definitive ruling contrary to this since then.

Thanks guys :)

Yea I'm really excited to work on makeup and prosthetics for this idea!

Toddo said:
Dreamingfurther said:

The chapter you're playing at. My understanding on Wylder-racials (which admittedly is a few years old) is that the chapter you are PCing has theright to refuse your racials if the plot commitee deems them inappropriate for their campaign. This may have changed in the time since I knew it was an issue (a horse scavvie), but I have not seen a definitive ruling contrary to this since then.

I would think the opposite. Its you home chapter that will input everything in the DB, they are the ones that approve your racials when you start. Yes, every chapter that you attend must approve your racials as well (kind of like restricted items, 99% of the time they get approved) but, to me Dave is saying that he is making his character from another chapter IG. That doesn't mean hes going to play there. Just that he is from there, IG. Regardless he still needs to get approval for every chapter (which I disagree with. How could I have one set of resists one event and another set another event. No other race/class can change your build).

Gilwing said:
Toddo said:
Dreamingfurther said:

I would think the opposite. Its you home chapter that will input everything in the DB, they are the ones that approve your racials when you start. Yes, every chapter that you attend must approve your racials as well (kind of like restricted items, 99% of the time they get approved) but, to me Dave is saying that he is making his character from another chapter IG. That doesn't mean hes going to play there. Just that he is from there, IG. Regardless he still needs to get approval for every chapter (which I disagree with. How could I have one set of resists one event and an other set another event. No other race/class can change your build).

On top of that, if your character is from a specific campaign, there may be a list of preferred or common racials for specific types of kin based on their local Race Packet. For example in Ohio the Fox-kin were written with a very strong Gypsy connection (based more on myths researched than physical or behavioral properties of the Fox) and that helped us create a list of 4-5 Racials that fit well with their society and RP in our chapter. We'll still consider "non-standard" Kin builds for local characters, of course, as well but the RP combined with common Racials gives the Kin a very strong "Vandlar" feel.

When entering the kin in the database, if asked to justify your choices, you can reference the IG home-chapters Race Packet while entering your character at your OOG Logistics Home Chapter. Theoretically then both chapters are happy with your choices...

Gilwing said:
How could I have one set of resists one event and another set another event. No other race/class can change your build).
Same way you're a fighter one event and a scout the next. Or, you know, ""WOOOGY MAAAAGIC".

But yeah, I agree. Having to get approval for your race every time you play a new chapter is weird.

99% of the time it doesn't become an issue in my experience... well I will just try to get approval from both places I guess.

I don't see why your kin choice would be denied at a chapter unless your racial skills don't seem to fit.

Denial due to skills, howver is extremely rare so long as a person justifies his/her racial skills.

For example, my fox wylderkin, Semaj, has racial proficiency because he naturally is a little stronger than some kin. He also has resist poison because due to working at a tavern, he has built up a slight immunity to alchemy which goes along nicely with his scenting ability.

Jim

Nobody is going to argue things that are pretty standard and/or obvious for the animal type... resist element for a polar bear kin, or resist binding for a spider kin, or claws for, well... a lot of species can have claws really.

Most plot folks I've talked to are willing to accept both biological and mythological reasoning for the choice of racials (like the Vandlar example for their foxes). This however does not include coming up with your own myths to justify your wacked-out choice of racials (unless maybe you're writing an entire kin race packet to go with it???).

The only time kin racials get questioned is when it seems like a plot team approved something that's really left field, like dodge for a turtle kin. For as funny as this may seem, it makes absolutely no sense, and while we ARE playing a fantasy game, that's not exactly the spirit of the rule when it comes to kin racials.

Back