Know anyone with airbrush skills?

The base for my wolfkin costume is going to arrive soon and I am looking for anyone that might be able to add some 'furring' look to it.
I was trying to get a heather/gray, but they stopped making them so I am stuck with a white base.
If need be, I will do a black dye job on it (only using about half or third of the recommended amount).

I am pretty sure that at some point or another Sarah / Dan did their makeup with air brushing at one point (don't know if they still do though); they are no longer regular players up here, though I am sure you could probably send Sarah a PM or something to get tips on techniques/materials needed, etc. on these boards. She's usually pretty helpful/friendly. =)

Sarah is "Inaryn"

I do a fair amount of airbrush painting for my masks and other objects. Although airbrushing is good for such things as stripes and so on, I don't think it's exactly necessary for a single tone outfit. (Unless you're going for the grey on top, white on the underbelly and limbs look).

If you'd be happy with it, and have the ability to purchase another one if things go awry, I would go ahead with the dye job - although they do make grey fabric dyes. It will last longer as long as the fabric will take the dye (some synthetics have issue with it) and you do wash it throughly afterwards (getting grey all over your skin and costume due to sweat or rain sucks) :)

To create a 'fur' pattern, my suggestion after you get the grey down would be to take some black acrylic paint (or fabric paint if you'd like) and a 2" disposable brush and do some dry brushing on the fabric with long strokes. Test your technique first on a piece of spare fabric (even stuff isn't what you're going to be painting) EVERY time you reload then wipe down your brush as something it only takes one heavy loaded brush to ruin it all.

Note that again, you should be wearing the costume as much as possible when you do this as the stretch of the fabric and result in the paint 'breaking'. I'll see about doing a test of what I mean this weekend and posting the resulting pics here. Another possibility is using india ink as the 'paint' so that it stains the fabric instead of painting on it but I've never tried drybrushing with it. Maybe I'll do a pattern of that as well - just to have it on record. :)

After you're done, you can set it with heat by putting the costume onto an ironing board, placing a sheet of broadcloth over the top of it and then using a dry iron at the appropriate heat for your garment, give it a good ironing.

I have found that 30 seconds of going back and forth the length of the ironing board tends to set it well - although some fabric paints I believe suggest longer. If it is a spandex type suit though, you'll want to be careful with the heat as the polymers in the fabric can melt. Note that heat setting of paint isn't always necessary but I find it useful if it is something you plan on washing every event.

Also, and not sure if your outfit comes with it, but adding some faux fur that goes with the colors onto your shoulders helps complete the illusion. Some people also go for wrist and ankle fur as well but with clothing over it, I find it a bit of an unnecessary addition.

Just double checked with someone I know had a full body spandex suit for her character painted:

1 - make sure it is a cotton blend fabric (the shiney stuff doesn't work)
2 - Regular fabric paint works without any need to heat set
3 - Paint it onto the fabric while the model is wearing it to avoid stretch/cracking.
4 - make sure it's fully dry before taking it off.

I'd seen her body suit at the game for years so it held up nicely.

markusdark said:
Just double checked with someone I know had a full body spandex suit for her character painted:

1 - make sure it is a cotton blend fabric (the shiney stuff doesn't work)
2 - Regular fabric paint works without any need to heat set
3 - Paint it onto the fabric while the model is wearing it to avoid stretch/cracking.
4 - make sure it's fully dry before taking it off.

I'd seen her body suit at the game for years so it held up nicely.

Thanks. Using a cotton ballet unitard (we used to use them back in high school for costume bases), so it should work well.

FYI, Sara (who played a reindeer scavie most recently) and Raissa (who plays the sarr Caana) both have made numerous "furred" body suits. I don't think they check the boards much, but they should be at the June game, so I'm sure they'd share their expertise with you.

Roan Dari Alki said:
FYI, Sara (who played a reindeer scavie most recently) and Raissa (who plays the sarr Caana) both have made numerous "furred" body suits. I don't think they check the boards much, but they should be at the June game, so I'm sure they'd share their expertise with you.

cool beans, want to have this ready for Seattle's July event & I am having to come up with something shortly for my son who wants to do a blue/black panther sarr.

Back