LARP literature

Discussion in 'Fiction and Art' started by Busselling, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Busselling

Busselling Newbie

Hi, folks. I'm a lapsed LARPer from many years ago (deep through the mists of time, back when it used to be called "LRP"). I've since become a writer, and with my latest series of books I decided to draw from my years of misspent youth and write a story about a party of LARPers who wind up bumbling through a portal and into an actual fantasy world. It's kind of like a grown-up version of the old Saturday morning D&D cartoon, except I'm not ashamed to make the characters actual roleplayers.

Here's what I'm wondering - do you guys know of any other books that use LARP as a central component? I've watched the movies already (Knights of Badassdom, Wild Hunt, Monster Camp, Unicorn City etc), but I can't seem to find any examples of the hobby in literature. Am I missing anything?

2. Mike Ventrella

Mike Ventrella Duke Owner Moderator HQ Staff

You mean where the characters in the book know they're in a LARP? The closest I can come to is Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series.

3. Busselling

Busselling Newbie

Thanks, Mike, but that series was about tabletop roleplayers.

4. Mike Ventrella

Mike Ventrella Duke Owner Moderator HQ Staff

Yep, but that was the closest example I could think of. And in some ways, when they first appear there, they are still considering it a bit of a game. That changes quickly, though...

5. Busselling

Busselling Newbie

Fair point, Mike. Thanks.

6. Muir

Muir Templar

7. Busselling

Busselling Newbie

Ah, yes. Not sure why I didn't find that. Thanks, Dave.