Laser Based Circle of Power

averzwyv

Hoping to tap the knowledge out there in Larp land, I had this thought about setting up a circle of power using a laser light show system indoors and projecting it down on the ground to be a "permanent circle of power". I'm trying to make something more classy than the glow rope ones. This could be as simple as a laser pointer with a circle difraction grating, or a laser based spirograph. Or potentially as nifty as a stable laser graphic with two circles of different color filled with runic script between the circles.

Anyone have experience or hardware recommendations?

You can pick up a basic laser projector like the kind a semi-pro or local DJ might use for under a hundred bucks on Amazon. You might have an issue with people crossing the line during combat, however, if there isn't a physical object there to remind them where the boundary is under duress.

Still, sounds like an awesome idea.

You could also use a light with a stage cell over it, cut your pattern out of a black cell and attach it to a red or blue one and only the pattern will shine through.

With a circle made of projected light I would be worried the circle would be broken by someone accidentally blocking the light. Therefore, I would recommend having two or more projectors for the circle so no one person would disrupt the circle projection.

Oh yeah, as to advice-Try and camoflage whatever device you end up useing. Use LED based stuff ifyou can help it. And go for battery operated/cordless if at all possible. This will give you the most opportunities for positioning. Use black extension cords where needed and remember to tape them down, and/or hide them as well.

So, I really like new ways to physrep stuff, but my issue with a projected CoP is that the rules call for an actual in-game physical object be used to establish the circle. This physrep must be tangible and manipulable. If Beasty of Dragon Magic walks in and DMs it, putting up a new circle needs to require actually putting stuff into a circley shape. The method for preventing you from just popping up a new one shouldn't be "must block the projector".

I think a combination could be best... make a physical permanent circle (out of bent aluminum, maybe? spraypainted garden hose? whatever) and have that space filled with one of the area laser effects like http://www.amazon.com/Lightahead®-P...-Voice-activated/dp/B00HMD0TK4/ref=pd_cp_MI_1

That way the representation is permanently there even if it's supressed somehow, but you can tell whether it's on or not by the light effects.

Back